2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, here's my situation:

It's cold ouside and I turn on my MZ3. As the car warms up, the revs drop from about 2k to 1.5k, and i hear this short, gear-grinding like noise from the front of the car (hard to pinpoint exactly where). I bought my car over the summer and I only started noticing it once the temperatures began to drop. The weird thing is, it only happens when the car is cold (so usually only in the morning) and when the fan is on in the cabin (ie the defroster)

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm gonna have the dealer take a look at it when I take it in for an oil change in a couple of weeks, but I was just curious if it's happened to other people.

·
Registered
471 Posts
this is only a guess...but when you said defroster, i immediately thought of the AC compressor. i can't even say how to check it other than make sure your defrost and AC are NOT on when you turn the fan on...see if that is the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My car does this sporadically when it is cold out as well. But funny thing is since is has been consistently -25 C to -35 C for the past week and a bit it has not done it from what I can remember. It only seemed to do it when it was -5 C to -15 C

·
Registered
750 Posts
The extream cold makes mechanical and electronic devices do strange things due to the parts contracting and working/fitting different then they do when they are warm and the proper size.

I'd have the dealer check everything out if you are taking in in anyway, but I'd not worry too much about it unless it is making stranges noises when warmed up or the noises get progressively worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeap,mine does this as well. I have never been concerned about it and it only does it in the mornings at start up. Its quick about 1 second if that and i first thought is was grinding but as my wife pulls out of the garage with the hood up i believe its electrical in nature. No moving parts so Im not overly concerned.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! I wasn't too worried, but this is my first brand-new car and any "odd" noise gets me asking questions... It's been about -8C here in the mornings, which fits with RT2009's observations. I just got in the habit of waiting a couple of seconds before turning on the defroster :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd suspect it's something in the A/C compressor, perhaps the clutch cycling. Your defroster works by using the A/C to dry out your interior air (standard evaporator/condenser A/C systems dehumidify the conditioned air as a side effect of the process). At lower temperatures, the A/C system can't work because it gets so cool that the freon media can't completely evaporate at the heat exchanger, which allows liquid freon to circulate back to the compressor. Liquids can't be compressed so the this can cause the compressor to lock up. In response the compressor's clutch cycles off to protect the compressor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry about the thread necro but I found this in google and somebody else has this problem. It is indeed the AC compressor. I have a 2010 speed 3 and it grinds on first use in the mornings. If I make sure my ac is off the night before I get no grind on startup. The dealer says its normal but we all know that's BS.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Even when my A/C is off, I get it when the fan is on during cold mornings. I just sorta accepted it, all of my other cars have made strange noises during startup, so I just chalked it up to one of the car's quirks. It doesn't sound damaging, so I dont worry about it

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am not sure what you are experiencing, but FYI:

Running the defroster does turn on the AC compressor in all modern cars (at least cars made in the last 15 years). If you are defrosting (actually defogging) the interior of the window, then you also need to remove the moisture in the air - the AC is used to do this.

Even if you your heat is all the way up, the AC compressor will run if the selector is on defrost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
mine also has the strange start up grinding noise. I attributed it to the compressor spinning up for the first time since being off for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car has done this from day 1 and it's something that really bothers me. Actually, when I first bought my car, I made a thread about it on this forum and nobody else said they experienced this so I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I've actually had the dealer change out my a/c compressor and it still does this. Pretty much anytime my car sits for more than about 5 hours, when I start the car and the compressor is on (whether a/c is on or it's on defrost) I get that grinding noise. If the a/c is not on when I start the car, if I start driving the car and turn on the a/c, the grinding will actually jerk the car because it's that severe. Love the car but this is a big concern for me because I don't want to have to pay for costly a/c repairs when the card is out of warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had this happen only once. Never on startup. But one time, right after I pulled out of the driveway, I pressed the AC button and got the slight quick grinding noise. That was two weeks ago and I haven't had it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car has done this from day 1 and it's something that really bothers me. Actually, when I first bought my car, I made a thread about it on this forum and nobody else said they experienced this so I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I've actually had the dealer change out my a/c compressor and it still does this. Pretty much anytime my car sits for more than about 5 hours, when I start the car and the compressor is on (whether a/c is on or it's on defrost) I get that grinding noise. If the a/c is not on when I start the car, if I start driving the car and turn on the a/c, the grinding will actually jerk the car because it's that severe. Love the car but this is a big concern for me because I don't want to have to pay for costly a/c repairs when the card is out of warranty.
Everything you said is exactly how mine does on my 2010 speed3. I get a small jerk when driving down the road too. It kind of makes me feel better to know that it still does it with the compressor replaced. It may actually be normal for these cars. It does make me sad to see all these small issues that I never saw in my two mitsu's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everything you said is exactly how mine does on my 2010 speed3. I get a small jerk when driving down the road too. It kind of makes me feel better to know that it still does it with the compressor replaced. It may actually be normal for these cars. It does make me sad to see all these small issues that I never saw in my two mitsu's.
My sentiments exactly. Sort of relieved to hear that everyone seems to experience this but at the same time, I've never seen it happen on any other car and it's aggravating to have these issues on a brand new car. It makes me think that the compressor is probably going to go out, probably right after the warranty is up, and I'll have to end up paying for costly repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that I bought in May. About a month after I bought it I noticed a really weird grinding sort of sound when I started it. It only happens after the car has been sitting and not driven for at least 24 hours, temperature has not been a factor for me as it made the sound last week when it was 95 outside. I took it into the dealership and they replaced my AC belt twice, replaced the clutch, and finally replaced the enter AC compressor. It is still making the sound and now they claim it's normal?? Doesnt sound normal to me or to anyone else who has heard my car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that I bought in May. About a month after I bought it I noticed a really weird grinding sort of sound when I started it. It only happens after the car has been sitting and not driven for at least 24 hours, temperature has not been a factor for me as it made the sound last week when it was 95 outside. I took it into the dealership and they replaced my AC belt twice, replaced the clutch, and finally replaced the enter AC compressor. It is still making the sound and now they claim it's normal?? Doesnt sound normal to me or to anyone else who has heard my car
Sound like a bunch of us is having the same issue with our 2010 Mazda3.
Mine also make cranking/grinding noise when I turn on the a/c ... but that only happen after the car have been off for a long time (can't nail down how long is require ... but it usually only happen in the morning ... so I am guess maybe 12hrs or so).

At least your dealership is willing to try replacing parts for you ... mind (namely Markham Mazda in Ontario Canada) refuse to do anything saying that they cannot reproduce the problem.
It is a brand new car, and that is certainly not normal noise. What option do I have? I am think to write to Mazda corporate .. but I bet that won't make any difference.... I just have a bad dealer ... maybe I should bring the car to another dealership.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts