2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went and bought these tires today. They are installed now and I guess I will update my review slowly.

11/20/12

I bought the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires today in the size 205/50/17 from my local Firestone. They were $680 for balancing, taxes, new valve, recycling crap, etc. Lifetime alignment + road hazard was another $200+.. Luckily enough my dad covered that since I'm poor. So, I thank him very much for that. Anyways:

First Impression - The tires look very nice and the install left me with no scratches or anything from what I can see. The tires don't look that much smaller at all from the 225/55/17s I used to have but they don't bulge as much now which is good. The tread pattern is basically the same as the Continental DWS. I drove the car for the first 15 miles on these tires and I'm quite impressed with them so far. I road with my windows up and no radio on. I noticed how quiet they were. There was literally no noise except the normal little bit of wind noise and road noise from cheap Mazda for making no noise dampening. They were way quiet then the other tires I had on by a lot and the ride was aaaaa lottt better. The balancing was very good as when I was at 55+ mph I had no vibrations at all through the steering wheel.

Old alignments specs without alignment after lowering springs:
20121120171606.jpg

New alignment:
20121120171617.jpg

Everything has been brought back in to spec even with lowering the 1.25" with the Road Magnets. The camber is a bit high but nothing you can do about that with just springs.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Great review. I also considered Serenity Plus, but as I was buying my wheels and tires package online they were out of my budget. Is there a reason to keep toe-in for the rear? I think I've read somewhere that even a slight toe can largely affect the gas mileage.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great review. I also considered Serenity Plus, but as I was buying my wheels and tires package online they were out of my budget. Is there a reason to keep toe-in for the rear? I think I've read somewhere that even a slight toe can largely affect the gas mileage.
I'll be updating this more around Christmas but they did factory alignemtn crap I can always go back and get it adjusted anytime the way I wanted. I'd say these tires are one of the most quiet tires I've been on but bigger like divets make more sound then desired. But, the ride is very good for the price.. luckily got Black Friday deal a few days early.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I should probably update this, tires are still great, quiet, good grip in rain they feel solid and can take turns at ease when wet. The car feels as if it still dry out even in the rain lol. Took a few harder turns today on a cruise one 35mph in a 15mph turn and a few other harder turns, cars grip was insane, no squealing or loss of grip and I could have easily pushed the car even more. I've put about 1k miles on these things so nothing significant so far.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Rherrold, why would you be running such oversize tires.(The tires don't look that much smaller at all from the 225/55/17s I used to have) I quote from your above post.
Stock size is what you bought IE: 205x50x17.

Pat.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rherrold, why would you be running such oversize tires.(The tires don't look that much smaller at all from the 225/55/17s I used to have) I quote from your above post.
Stock size is what you bought IE: 205x50x17.

Pat.
The oversized tires 225 came free... so I kept them haha. Now that I bought these 205's run wide which is nice, they are slightly less wide but don't bulge but a tiny bit.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, after driving on these in several conditions (3-5 inches of snow with light ice, heavy rain, and dry) I'd completely 100% recommend these tire. I've put about 4k on these tires so far and they have done flawless never have lost grip once that I never got quickly and predicatively. Still, are very quiet and no issues so far.

Put them through my first auto-x and they did okay for an all-season tire almost placed out of my novice class on my first try!!! I had the fastest time until the last run of auto-x on these tires for Novice.

On snow and ice of course they arent bulletproof for very heavy winter mix but they will be enough for anyone with an average winter in Virginia/Maryland is where I'm at and they have done great in light ice/snow. Yeah you can break grip when you want but as long as you are easy on the pedal they grip flawlessly as long as you don't hit any black ice :stuart:

Very happy with the tires. They do well for what they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts