2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have anybody unbrincked their Infotainment system after the black screen issue ?
I am aware of an electrical engineer who figured out how to attach chip-level debugging gear to reprogram the circuit board so that it would again seek the USB for a failsafe load. Unfortunately, he was apparently contacted by so many non-technical folks wanting information or service(!) that he took down parts of his blog. I attempted the process with the help of an EE friend, but we were not successful.

I hardwired a serial port into the connector and tested with my working replacement unit, but the bricked unit never showed any activity, not even any bootloader failure messages.

My suggestion is to locate a CMU from any 2015+ (maybe 2014?) Mazda on eBay (~150USD), and swap its internal circuit board into your dead unit. I had to update the firmware from an ancient version to version 33 before I could update to 56, but the older board behaves identically after update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am aware of an electrical engineer who figured out how to attach chip-level debugging gear to reprogram the circuit board so that it would again seek the USB for a failsafe load. Unfortunately, he was apparently contacted by so many non-technical folks wanting information or service(!) that he took down parts of his blog. I attempted the process with the help of an EE friend, but we were not successful.

I hardwired a serial port into the connector and tested with my working replacement unit, but the bricked unit never showed any activity, not even any bootloader failure messages.

My suggestion is to locate a CMU from any 2015+ (maybe 2014?) Mazda on eBay (~150USD), and swap its internal circuit board into your dead unit. I had to update the firmware from an ancient version to version 33 before I could update to 56, but the older board behaves identically after update.
would it make a differende if i put the EU version on it if i buy one in US ? (I live in Denmark)

my dealer thinks he can do it so i will have him have a go at it first

·
Registered
14 Posts
would it make a differende if i put the EU version on it if i buy one in US ? (I live in Denmark)

my dealer thinks he can do it so i will have him have a go at it first
I would imagine that the CMU itself is universal, but I would ask that question in a new thread to get an informed opinion.

It's sad how brittle the CMU firmware is..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the needed tools at work to flash the chip, but decided I would just replace the unit rather than deal with it. I too was unable to get anything from the serial output, so I spent $74 from an online junkyard reseller and it (as well as one of the regular non-CMU units lol) arrived in three days. Took all of five minutes to replace and just called it a day. Didn't have to worry about the SD card or replacing mine with a much older (v27) rev.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts

internet wayback machine is very useful: :yes:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160605131255/http://www.2x4logic.com:80/invokefailsafe.html/

·
Registered
14 Posts
That was the screen not the CMU it self, as far as i can seen, or am i wrong ?
I didn't see that link until after its auction had closed, but the page had several links to several other whole systems (CMU and display). LKQ's eBay store is where I purchased mine. I had earlier paid nearly twice as much for an MX5-specific unit (bad luck). My display was fine, and it was is easy to transplant to the new CMU -- just a few #2 Philips screws and a couple of connectors.

Did you find out whether there is anything country-specific to the hardware?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread but after reading it I'm afraid I might be screwed but it wouldn't hurt to ask at this point. So yesterday I tried to update the firmware in my 2015 Mazda3 from 55.00.753 to59.0.441. I was able to get it through failsafe and while trying to install the reinstall portion it kept failing. I figured maybe the software was corrupted. I was parked behind my wife so I had to start the car to move it out of her way so she could get to work. This morning I downloaded the files again and tried to finish the job but now the screen is black but I do get the radio sound in the background much like the OP. Is there any way I can reset everything? If so what is the reset procedure? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cannot guarantee that this method will work for you. But if you think that the CMU can not be repaired, Try this method at last one. I use Raspbery PI instead of Bus Pirate.

https://translate.google.com/transl...7/19/reset-cmu-nor-flash-with-rpi/&edit-text=

Code:
flashrom -r backup-cmu.bin -c "S25FL064A/P" -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0
echo -ne "\x06" > /dev/spidev0.0
echo -ne "\x02\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /dev/spidev0.0

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know what the are called or have a part number,seaching for cmu, infotainment, gets me nothing.
or know were to buy them ?

I found mine at ParksMarket.com. My firewall (Sophos) yelled at me about it being a parked domain, but I took a dive and figured what the heck; turns out they are good on their word. Arrived five days later and only cost me $86 total. No screen, just the CMU unit, so I kind of lucked out I guess due to the different screen types available. Pulled the screen from my original unit, stuck it on this one, and it booted right up. It came with v28 and I upgraded from there, although the previous unit was running v56, so it doesn't look like the revision matters. GPS SD works beautifully as well.

Prior to ordering I pulled my bricked unit and the P/N was BHP1669C0x, where x is a dependant on what version it came from the factory with. I'd imagine any revision is fine as long as you swap US->US, JPN->JPN, and don't try to randomly mix them. I should also note that the part I ordered is the same P/N, but stated for a 2016 Mazda3. Although I own a 2014, I haven't had any issues after two months or so. Also, don't click the below link if you value your eyesight. This poor baby only had 7k on it before ending up in the junk lot. :(

https://www.partsmarket.com/partnumber/BHP1669C0/43796973 is the specific one I purchased.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have no idea how to do any of that so looks like I'll have to spend the bucks, admit defeat, and bring it to the dealer. Just wondering if there's a reset I can at least try before I make the appointment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently unbricked my CMU from a similar situation (no boot, just one radio station works) and described the whole thing here: yms.livejournal.com/3007282.html. (Unfortunately, I can't post direct links.)
A really big thanks to you guy!

Unfortunally if i wanted to read the out the data of the SPI NOR FLASH, but there were some mistakes. May it be possible that u can upload your file, that u saved directly from the Chip?

If you can do this for me, i can check it with my HexEditor an flash it on a new Chip!

If you need any webspace for that, dont hesitate and contact me!

Greetings!

81 - 100 of 135 Posts