2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Break In Suggestions

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dunston 
#1 ·
Hello guys just got a brand new speed, any suggestion about the best practice to break In the car? The car is damn fast and I just want to speed and rev the engine to hear it but is this bad when the car is new?

#2 · (Edited)
Just drive smoothly and avoid WOT redline shifts for the first 600 miles. Then change your oil and drive it like you stole it.
Get a rear motor mount too.

#3 ·
If I may add to the list of do's/dont's for the Speed...(these are for during break in as well as for the life of the vehicle).

DO keep the car out of full boost until you get above 2700-3000 RPM. It avoids venting the block in the long run.

DON'T go around boosting at WOT in 6th gear. This too will aid in the longevity of the motor.

If you're going to mod the car for power at all the DO get yourself a monitoring/logging device to keep an eye on fuel pressure, knock retard, and AFR.

Have fun :yes:.

#4 ·
I babied my iSport for 500 miles and when I let my 66 year old father test drive it he bounced it off the rev limiter and chirped the tires in the first 3 gears. Then the cops pulled us over! It was broken in from that moment on!

Although I wonder how much life he shaved off the clutch!

#8 ·
I guess it's just a precaution. No real evidence that says you need to do it. I'm a certified modaholic and I drive my car hard so it gives me peace of mind.

#10 · (Edited)
What Tinker said is factual and should be heeded though. Don't follow his tips and you'll be at the dealer having a blown engine repaired. Also referred to as Zoom-Zoom Boom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.