2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mazda Fan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I got the car from the dealer yesterday. I like it. Lots to learn and get used to!

I love the keyless entry system, very convenient.

The GPS system looks good, but it can't compete with Waze's live traffic data/reports, so I unfortunately will not be using the 3's GPS much.

Unlike other reports I've seen, I had no problem popping in an 8GB USB memory stick with MP3s of all kinds, organized by folders, and playing the songs by browsing folders.

I'm not sure how I feel about the heads-up speedometer and the i-Stop function. I find them both a bit annoying, but I'm willing to live with them for a while in the hope I get used to them. I don't like the fact that even if you turn off the heads-up display, that piece of plastic insists on remaining up.

There is no mute button on steering wheel! I think the steering wheel mute button was the most-used wheel button on my previous cars, by far. Is the only way to mute the system by moving your hand all the way to the little volume knob between the seats? I really hope someone has an easier way that I've missed!

Is there no way to simply turn OFF the audio system? Is it always on, no matter what? Of course, you can leave the volume on zero, but then you can't hear any other functions either. I thought of plugging in a 3.5mm wire into the AUX jack with no device, just so I can select AUX and essentially have the audio system off. Any better suggestions?

No way to turn off the engine while leaving all accessories on? You can press the Start/Stop button twice to turn off the engine and go back into accessories, but it turns off in the meantime. With a regular key ignition, you just turn the key back one click and the engine shuts off without shutting off the accessories.

There is no one-click power window close for three of the four windows. My last car (2008 Mazda 6) had this and I miss it!

I like the feature that the side mirrors automatically fold in, but once this feature exists in the car, why on Earth is there no setting to make this happen automatically EVERY time the car is locked?! PLEASE someone tell me there is a way to do this!

The cover of the center storage compartment is too short to serve as a usable arm rest - also very disappointing (the same thing on my 6 was quite a bit longer and was actually very comfortable). Maybe there are after-market replacements that provide a more usable and comfortable arm rest?

There is a lot of available space under the driver's seat, where it would be nice to have a little shelf that the driver could reach down to place/get stuff. The metal under the seat seems to have open areas where a properly designed shelf could be latched on. Does anyone know of any solutions such as this?

I haven't tried pairing my MOTO X with the car yet, I hope to get around to exploring that whole universe next week.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses/suggestions!

Have a great weekend,
JR

·
Registered
269 Posts
As far as the GPS goes with Traffic, Mazda screwed this one up. It can receive HD traffic, but they didn't integrate it with the actual nav system. You have to connect a wifi hotspot to the car to get traffic to work.. very very dumb on Mazda's part! I guarantee 99% of Mazda buyers don't know this and have no clue to what a wifi hotspot or tethering is.

I miss auto up on at least the passenger window.. I don't know why they couldn't just include that one at least.

Automatic mirror folding is a nice feature, some cheaper cars have it.. I guess it was cost savings for Mazda.

My biggest complaint still is the horrible bugs when trying to play audio over the usb connection with my iPhone. It won't play spotify unless I first play a song stored locally on the iphone. and even that doesn't work half the time and takes multiple presses of play/pause to get it to stream.. They need to come out with a fix ASAP for this!

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
I believe the cigerette lighter port in the armrest is "always on" where as the one in the center console is on with ignition, if that helps.

What model did you go for? (must have been high if you have the heads up)

·
Mazda Fan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Israel. The model I bought is called "Spirit" package (4-door), which includes the heads up, keyless entry, sunroof, city brake, lane departure warning, auto-directional headlights, power-folding side mirrors, auto-dim-rearview mirror, xenon headlights, etc.

I got the 2.0 liter engine (the base and only other option here is 1.5 liter), which is rated at 265 HP which is higher then the spec I saw for the same-size engine in the US.

Please - anyone who can answer some of my questions in the first post of this thread, I'd be much appreciative!

JR

·
Registered
146 Posts
No way to turn off the engine while leaving all accessories on?
If your car is an automatic (and it probably is since it seems you have an S with all the features), just hold the button in on the shifter while shutting the ignition off, and the accessories will stay on.

If you have a manual tranny, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't tried pairing my MOTO X with the car yet, I hope to get around to exploring that whole universe next week.
I have a MOTO X and it works flawlessly. I've only used it for streaming Google Play Music so far. Have not tried phone calls yet.

I just set my playlist before I drive off and put the phone on the inside tray in the armrest console so there is no distractions.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I love the heads up display and found getting used to it very quick. Any change in armrest will cost you a cup holder. I don't know how to fold the mirrors but did read when the fold the are no longer centered where they were before folding.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about the heads-up speedometer and the i-Stop function. I find them both a bit annoying, but I'm willing to live with them for a while in the hope I get used to them. I don't like the fact that even if you turn off the heads-up display, that piece of plastic insists on remaining up.
I know we all drive differently, but I would encourage you to try and get used to the HUD. It is incredibly useful once you're comfortable with it, not just for showing your speed, but also you giving you relevant highway data, cruise control info, navigation prompts, etc.

It's worth it for being able to see your speed without looking further down, though, in my opinion. Less time with your eyes off the road is simply never a bad thing. While it may not match your own preferences for driving, it's almost certainly safer and more convenient if you can manage the adjustment.

·
Mazda Fan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your car is an automatic (and it probably is since it seems you have an S with all the features), just hold the button in on the shifter while shutting the ignition off, and the accessories will stay on.
Yes, I have the automatic. Which button on the shifter? The release-from-Park button that's called "Lock Release Button" in the manual? I hope this does the trick!

JR

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm in Israel. The model I bought is called "Spirit" package (4-door), which includes the heads up, keyless entry, sunroof, city brake, lane departure warning, auto-directional headlights, power-folding side mirrors, auto-dim-rearview mirror, xenon headlights, etc.

I got the 2.0 liter engine (the base and only other option here is 1.5 liter), which is rated at 265 HP which is higher then the spec I saw for the same-size engine in the US.

Please - anyone who can answer some of my questions in the first post of this thread, I'd be much appreciative!

JR
:wtf: You got how much horsepower?! Are we talking about the same Mazda 3? Post a pic of your ride please and specs on the engine. Is it turbo charged?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes the new Mazda 3 is a big learning curve for me also.
Regarding some of the unanswered questions :
1)I would think that the HUD should retract when turned off; may be sticking... check your manual or dealer.

2) Reason why audio has no button for a full off is the amplifier may also control the other audio functions as the volume control seems to control the volume for these; I think .

3)One click for auto down for drivers window only could be a safety issue that they have built in. Does the 2014 Mazda 6 still have this ?

4) Outside mirrors fold in on all models in NA. Auto folding mirrors would up the cost plus more maintenance on an already pricey car in similar markets.

5) Shelf under drivers or passenger seat would be a safety issue with drivers on the go at a red light; foot slips off brake and car moves forward.... accident and then big traffic ticket. Just too tempting. May be an aftermarket add-on if the demand is there. Again then added cost.

6) Agreed the GPS is not the best as I would have liked to have had a storage for names but then on the other hand that could be an issue if the car was stolen or broken into and the names could get into the wrong hands. Maybe in time they may improve as I think that might be on the SD card function or upgradable GPS hardware?

7) the iPhone to usb plug may be a iPhone issue .... have you tried Bluetooth ?

8) Cars sold in the US and Canada may differ slightly due to different country laws and regulations. Car marketed in other countries again may have other permitted or available packages. Cars sold to many countries outside of NA have heavy taxes added to larger engine cars ; I am told.

9) The 265 hp out of 2 litres I think might well be a misprint; maybe 165 hp ?. Maybe in a highly tuned racing motor running pure methanol or with a super or turbo charger.... maybe; but not a street machine, I think.

These are just some of my thoughts..... and nickels worth.

Regarding power rating... may have been the Mazda MZR series of motors discontinued in 2011 though and replaced by Skyactive

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, I have the automatic. Which button on the shifter? The release-from-Park button that's called "Lock Release Button" in the manual? I hope this does the trick!

JR
I believe that's it. My car's a manual so I can't confirm.

5) Shelf under drivers or passenger seat would be a safety issue with drivers on the go at a red light; foot slips off brake and car moves forward.... accident and then big traffic ticket. Just too tempting. May be an aftermarket add-on if the demand is there. Again then added cost.
My Audi A4 had little drawers under the front seats. They latched shut so whatever was in them stayed in them; they weren't accessible from a driving position (that takes care of the safety issue), but they worked well for storing various odds and ends.

·
Registered
135 Posts
3)One click for auto down for drivers window only could be a safety issue that they have built in. Does the 2014 Mazda 6 still have this ?
I don't see what the safety issue would be here. Strikes me as a cost saving feature, since, after all, the driver's side mirror is going to get a lot more use for your average driver. In any case, having all the windows with an auto option seems more, not less, safe, as you can minimize time focused on the windows at any given time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Typo! It's 165 HP (not 265), SORRY. The US 2.0-liter is rated at 155.

JR
Hi JR... Yes there is also another country out there that really enjoys the Mazda 3 at 155 hp... for those wondering why JR gets another 10hp with his 2.0 l is most other countries get 14 to 1 compression motors while we in North America get the 13 to 1 which was bumped up from 12 to 1 last year. Maybe we can get lucky down the road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts