2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was wondering if anybody with a gen3 has tried to do the "OEM BBK" upgrade yet? For the unaware, basically people with a gen1 or gen2 mazda 3 will buy the mazdaspeed3 front calipers, pads, rotors, and caliper mounting brackets and get a sizable increase in braking performance for not a lot of money and the speed3 brakes are amazing with the stock pads let alone if you get steel lines and more performance minded pads. I was thinking about trying this once i need brakes. Thinking of piecing together the setup slowly overtime.

Another option is to get the brake setup from the 2.5l but i don't think the increase in size would net me any worthwhile performance increase. I don't plan on racing this car but i do a lot of mountain driving and i know the speed3 brakes can take a lot of abuse.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot. We have a bunch of different sections but none of them have brakes listed.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I've tinkered with the idea but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm specifically wanting an upgrade 4 or 6 pot caliper.

Corksport has a brake upgrade "coming soon."
Revolution Brake has brake upgrades, as well.

Revolution is the best bang for the buck, so far.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but from what i have heard corksport's last BBK for the ms3 left a lot to be desired. I'm kind of just looking for an "OEM+" kind of upgrade. I mean regardless, i don't think i'll be able to run my stock 16s afterward but that won't exactly keep me up at night lol. i put 43k miles on my speed and autocrossed it a lot and was still on the original pads so this will probably be far off. I might try to get a local ms3 to let me try to swap the calipers and brackets to see if they even bolt up(or borrow someone's if they have done the corksport bbk) and then go from there. Probably get a beatup set off ebay or from a junkyard and send them out to be powdercoated and rebuilt. i think i could do all that and get the rotors and pads for a lot less than an actual BBK. Not sure what i'm going to do about the rears though and i need to see if the stainless steel lines are all the same between the gens so they will mate up on both sides.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
yeah but from what i have heard corksport's last BBK for the ms3 left a lot to be desired. I'm kind of just looking for an "OEM+" kind of upgrade. I mean regardless, i don't think i'll be able to run my stock 16s afterward but that won't exactly keep me up at night lol. i put 43k miles on my speed and autocrossed it a lot and was still on the original pads so this will probably be far off. I might try to get a local ms3 to let me try to swap the calipers and brackets to see if they even bolt up(or borrow someone's if they have done the corksport bbk) and then go from there. Probably get a beatup set off ebay or from a junkyard and send them out to be powdercoated and rebuilt. i think i could do all that and get the rotors and pads for a lot less than an actual BBK. Not sure what i'm going to do about the rears though and i need to see if the stainless steel lines are all the same between the gens so they will mate up on both sides.

Corksport only released a caliper that utilized existing MS3 rotors, so it really wasn't a big brake kit, just a caliper upgrade.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Revolution's kit uses a Wilwood FSL 4 pot caliper mated to 324mm rotors and stainless lines for $1099.

They also make a rear upgrade that is a rotor (to 300mm)+ stainless lines upgrade for $649.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes true about the corksport thing. Its one of those things where if you needed to replace the rotors then you'd have people complain. You won't satisfy everyone with everything but i'm in the mindset of "I'll replace it when it needs it" but i'm putting the thought into it now so i'm not scrambling to get the stuff together in the middle of January trying to test fit things. That's the other problem. I know i probably won't be able to run the stock 16s but i need to be able to run my winter 17s

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Speed3 brakes actually fit under 16's, I do that every time I bust a wheel.

Not sure if those caliper brackets will bolt up to the Gen 3 knuckles however -AND- if the rotors have the right offset to fit on the new knuckles. Remember the Gen 3 suspension is a clean-slate design, only similar to Gen 1/2 in basic principles.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Then I may be stuck with either an aftermarket kit or getting the brakes off the 2.5l. There don't seem that much larger so the difference may be marginal. Straight from the mz3 spec sheet: Left is 2.0l, right is 2.5l
Front
11.02inch vented disc 11.61inch vented disc

Rear
10.43inch solid disc 10.43inch solid disc

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well now i'm comparing part numbers and the 2.0l and 2.5l use the same part number for the caliper so it may just be a larger rotor and a different bracket which would make this tremendously easier task then change calipers and bleeding brakes...

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks. I'll take that as confirmation.

M3 (2.5L)
Front Brake Rotor Diam 11.6 in
Rear Brake Rotor Diam 10.4 in

M6
Front Brake Rotor Diam 11.7 in
Rear Brake Rotor Diam 10.9 in

CX-5
Front Brake Rotor Diam 11.7 in
Rear Brake Rotor Diam 11.9 in

I'm surprised at the size of the CX-5 rear rotor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts