2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new to this forum and writing from Canada.
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport that needs new front and rear brakes, and new shocks and struts.
Due to budget constraints I am going to have the brakes done first.

I have contacted my Mazda dealer, Canadian Tire, and Kal Tire for estimates on parts and labour.
The Mazda dealer quoted about $1100 CAD, which would include OEM parts. That's pretty steep.
The other two are a couple of hundred less but I don't trust the quality of the parts.

Can anyone recommend some good after market brakes that are equivalent to or slightly better than the OEM brakes from the Mazda dealer? Not looking for ultra high performance. Just something to keep my ride respectable.

I am a noob so apologies if this is not posted in the correct forum

Thanks,
Clayton
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EBC Ultimax 2

Fronts:

UD1044 more details on - EBC® - Ultimax2™ OEM Replacement Brake Pads

Rears:

UD1095 more details on - EBC® - Ultimax2™ OEM Replacement Brake Pads
CK
hey CK, thanks for your help.
I should have specified that I want to replace the pads, rotors and possibly calipers. So, maybe there is good kit for that? I’ve been told calipers not necessary but I figured maybe I would try to get something a bit nicer looking than the OEM stock option. Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
C

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,824 Posts
S12KF1250 more details on - EBC® - Stage 12 Light Signature Plain Brake Kit

S12KR1284 more details on - EBC® - Stage 12 Light Signature Plain Brake Kit

Pad and rotor combo. Good quality and pretty reasonable price.

Not sure about OEM caliper replacements. Power Stop makes a set but usually just some brake clean and a brush is all that's needed to clean up the OEM ones, plus some new grease to lube everything afterwards. Some new slide pins, bolts and rubber grommets is a good idea too.
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions CK. Looks like the rear brake kit is not available.
I chatted with a sales person from the same website and they recommended these R1 Concepts brakes.
I looked around at the reviews and stuff and they seem to be a pretty good option as well.
The kit for goes for $368.00 USD.

Do you have any experience with theses?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,824 Posts
Sorry, I've only used the EBC Green Stuff 2000 pads with their RK rotors and OEM pads and rotors.

The EBC RK rotors with Green Stuff pads was a huge improvement over OEM. Lasted longer, better stopping performance and higher heat tolerance.

R1 seems to have a good reputation from the few reviews I've seen posted on here. About all I know of them.
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks, I chatted with R1 directly and a person from CarID. The shipping to Canada is through the roof! Starting to wonder I should just do it at the Mazda dealer. I appreciate your input. Thanks. ~C

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up going with the R1 Concepts e-line as I was able to find the kit with rotors, (ceramic) pads and hardware on the R1 Concepts eBay store for about $250 USD. Let's see how this works out. They should be here in about a week.

In the meantime. I took my front wheel off my car just to have a look at exactly how rusty the callipers were. There was a lot of rust not only on the callipers but on the suspension as well.

Once I got the wheel off I saw something concerning but I honestly have no idea what it is. I took a picture...
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Natural material Wood

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,824 Posts
That is an end link and it needs to be replaced. They are cheap luckily and pretty easy to remove and reinstall.

They connect the sway bars to the strut in front and the lower control arm in rear on my gen 3.. not sure about the lower connection on your gen 2.

I have Moog end links on my car, which are beefier direct OEM replacements.

Front Moog end links part # K750554

Rear Moog end links part # K80867

CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got my brake kit by R1 Concepts. Unfortunately it arrived without the hardware kit so I have to wait another 7-10 days for it to come. So far it looks nice, see the pic. The real question is whether I can successfully install them.
Circle Metal Auto part Composite material Wood

In addition, I need new shocks, struts, end links...it's looking like I might need a whole new suspension.

This could be a pretty steep learning curve. I need this car to last another 10 years and I need to save money by doing it myself. I've watched a few videos to get the basic idea of how its done, and aside from the bearing press kit and the grease gun I could probably do most of it myself with the tools I have. This YouTube video below by Chris Fix makes it look pretty easy. I'm curious to know if anyone has ever done this...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,824 Posts
There are lots of videos of people installing new suspension components on your generation 3. Watch a bunch.. get some penetrating fluid spray (Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster).. spray all the nuts the night before working on it.. make sure you have all the parts and necessary tools before starting or a means of getting to an auto store after starting for those you don't.. get lots of lights.. brake clean.. brushes for scrubbing off rust and stuff.. good gloves and basic supplies for yourself and your mental sanity (beer, Gatorade, energy drinks, snacks).

Good luck and do a bunch of searches related to the years of your car's generation and the parts you will be working on BEFORE starting anything.. an extra 5-10 minute video or two can save you hours of headaches.
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I’ll be sure to watch as many as I can, and take notes… two biggest challenges I can foresee at this point are dealing with seized parts during the disassembly and getting the correct torque specs on re-assembly.

I am aiming to have all the parts, tools, cleaners needed beforehand as you mentioned. I’ll have to wait to do all the work since since I can’t buy everything at once and that will give me plenty of time to watch vids, take notes and research things.

Any recommendations on a modest suspension kit? I am looking at a few on Carid that include front and rear shocks and struts. This K-Sport coilover kit looks neat and not too expensive but I don’t necessarily need to lower the car, maybe a bit for looks. Main thing is I want something that performs as good as or better than OEM parts.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,824 Posts
Most people get lowering springs. Eibachs being the most common for a moderate drop that works with stock components.

Coilovers have pretty firm spring rates and are not really ideal for a 3.. Unless you are looking to slam your ride super low, in which case they work best.
CK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts