2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 3sGT (2.5L manual trans) hatch. I'm the original owner, I'm at 29,600 miles, and I drive pretty gently. Two days ago I noticed a squeak/scrape from my driver's side rear brakes. Does 30-thousand miles sound about right for this car for needing brake replacement? Or is it likely just an adjustment issue? Seems early to me, but every car is different.

I'm going to my dealer for regular oil change/tire rotation service in a couple of weeks anyway, so I'll get it checked. But I just wondered if this is about the time to start expecting to replace the brakes? I know many of you have a LOT of miles on the car, so when did you first need brakes?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2.0L hatch as a daily and is @36,xxx + miles, so far no squeaking or noisy brake noise. Hoep you solve this one..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There is a relatively known defect in the rear brakes for some reason a number of them went out with one side sticking a little bit. not enough to warp the rotor but enough to cause pretty early brake failure in the rear. I countered this with smoothing out the caliper surface which the pads move on and moving the ebrake one notch off on the side with the one pad failing quick. I suspect the issue is related to the ebrake cables not being spot on alignment, but not knowing the exact process to fix I did it the easy way. But with my fix, the car won't ebrake slide as easily, but, it will still hold itself on any hill and I've gotten over 100k on my rear brakes since. I'd order a set of pads from tirerack. I've been very happy with them.

·
Miami Vice Swagger
59 Posts
I drive a 2014 MZ3 hatch auto w/ 69000 miles on it and I had to replace the rear brakes around the same time you just described and also the front brakes at about 50K. I thought it was odd that the rear brakes started to squeal that early on but when they're done, they're done I suppose.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I too replaced my rear brakes pretty early, only one pad out of the four was bad. But the pads are pretty cheap, just make sure you also have the square brake tool as the calipers are a pain in the ass to turn and push back in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll have it checked when I get the oil change. The noise is only on one side, and I don't see a groove on the rotor, so maybe it's only the inner pad. Strongly suggests it's a misalignment or e-brake cable problem as some of you described.

I have extended warranty/maintenance plan, so maybe I can get it fixed for free, or at least at reduced cost.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!!!

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Your brake pads wear do not depend as much on what car model you drive.

It will mostly depend on how you drive, where you drive, how hard you brake, terrain, etc..

I live in the mountains, with lots of twists and hills. My pads' average life is 40k miles, on all cars.

If you live in NYC, Chicago, your pads will probably last less.

Important note: if your brakes are squeaking, please do not wait a couple of weeks! Get them checked/replaced now!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quote: "...I suspect the issue is related to the ebrake cables not being spot on alignment, but not knowing the exact process to fix I did it the easy way. But with my fix, the car won't ebrake slide as easily, but, it will still hold itself on any hill and I've gotten over 100k on my rear brakes since...."

Would you care to tell us your fix?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have 38,000 on a 2015 sGT hatchback automatic. I just had the rear brakes done this week. No squeaking, but worn to the point where replacement is recommended and I didn't want to wait until the next servicing. BTW, there has been a lot of local driving and I live in a somewhat hilly area, so that leads to more braking per mile than if I commute on long stretches of highway.

·
aka Goodwrench
28 Posts
Keep in mind, newer cars with traction control and stability control can use the rear brakes more than you think.

Also, the rear brakes on a front wheel drive car are usually much smaller than the front and as a result it is common for the rear pads to wear faster than the front.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A little strange as front pads usually wear out first. Let us know what the dealer finds.
Hasn't been the case with Mazda 3's as far as I'm aware. Techs at the dealer also told me they do a lot more rear pads before 50k miles than front pads. I've got my rears done at 45k and my fronts should still be good till 60k.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update on my brake situation. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for regular maintenance and I requested that the brakes be checked because of the scraping/squeaking issue. I specifically pointed out that I want to know if it's regular wear (i.e. all pads wearing evenly) or if there is a mis-alignment causing premature wear of a single pad. I'm hoping that, if it is a mis-alignment, that my warranty or maintenance plan will cover the cost.

I'll post tomorrow with the results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a guess, if you are in cold weather territory, the caliper pins could be gummed up, keeping the brake rubbing against the rotor. I had this happen twice on a 2007 Honda CRV at that kind of mileage. When I sold this vehicle nearly 3 years ago it had 118,000 miles without the front brakes going out yet.
When I got this car nearly 3 years ago, I added pin grease to the rear calipers right away because I had read somewhere on the web that some Mazda owners were complaining about rear brakes wearing out fast.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just a guess, if you are in cold weather territory, the caliper pins could be gummed up, keeping the brake rubbing against the rotor. I had this happen twice on a 2007 Honda CRV at that kind of mileage. When I sold this vehicle nearly 3 years ago it had 118,000 miles without the front brakes going out yet.
When I got this car nearly 3 years ago, I added pin grease to the rear calipers right away because I had read somewhere on the web that some Mazda owners were complaining about rear brakes wearing out fast.
Thanks for the tip!!! I'll request that the pins get checked and lubed as well. It would certainly be another way to explain what I've been experiencing. I'll see how the pads are worn tomorrow. If only 1 of 4 is worn down, then that definitely points to a problem like the pins or a mis-aligned e-brake. And I am in Denver, and it has gotten cooler in the past few weeks when this started.

I drive like a grandma, so I'm going to be really surprised if pads are worn down all around.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went in for service today. Rear brake pad wear was even all around. No problem with cables. No stuck caliper pins. Even though I drive gently, it seems that this is fairly common in my area for 2 reasons:

1. Manufacturers make rear brakes smaller and pads thinner than they used to. This saves weight, but results in more frequent replacement.
2. I'm in Colorado, which means hills everywhere. So even though I drive like a grandma, brake wear is still above average because of stopping on downhills. More than in flat areas anyway.

So that's it. Sadly, since there was nothing "wrong" my warranty didn't cover replacement. But I'm glad to be rid of the squeaking/scraping noise and at least I know I'm ready for winter.

EDIT: Front pads were still fine. Apparently, manufacturers still make those thicker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also own a 2015 Mazda 3, iGT though. I had it serviced for a ebrake recall.
this was a while back (1.5 years - 2 years) so I dont remember all the details spot on, but i do know it had something to do with the brake sticking when wet and then causing some rust to form.

prior to this, i would get my service done at my dealer and they would do their inspection and give me green lights on everything. then when i brought it in specifically for the ebrake recall they would tell me, "oh yeah you have this issue related to the recall, how come no ones every noticed it??"

maybe this might be worth giving the dealer a call and having them check your VIN for this recall issue?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also own a 2015 Mazda 3, iGT though. I had it serviced for a ebrake recall.
this was a while back (1.5 years - 2 years) so I dont remember all the details spot on, but i do know it had something to do with the brake sticking when wet and then causing some rust to form.

prior to this, i would get my service done at my dealer and they would do their inspection and give me green lights on everything. then when i brought it in specifically for the ebrake recall they would tell me, "oh yeah you have this issue related to the recall, how come no ones every noticed it??"

maybe this might be worth giving the dealer a call and having them check your VIN for this recall issue?
No recalls of any kind associated with my VIN.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,068 Posts
I think I got you beat...I'm at 18k miles and the rear driver side brake is squealing bad while driving and it stops when I apply the brake. It just started doing it this week..

I will be taking it in on Monday to make sure it's just the pads. They already warned me at my last service that the rear pads were getting low. Seems too early for that to happen though.

I'm just praying it's not the bearings or something..with all my suspension mods they won't cover it, if that's what it is.

I will have them check the e-brake and calipers too to make sure they are aligned properly.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,068 Posts
Dealer confirms that it's the pads... Rear left pad had .5 mm and the driver side was at 0 mm...

The car actually was at 15,850 miles on the clock when I took it in today.

They checked and said the caliper and e-brake are all aligned properly and working properly. I asked them to double check that though, as this is far too early to be replacing brake pads... I drive pretty aggressively, but pads should last until 25K or so...

The only good thing is that they have a lifetime warranty on OEM pads. Once you buy a set, they are free for the life of the car. You just need to pay for half an hour of servicing to install them.
CK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts