2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any replies.

At some point my 3 is going to need new front brakes. At least those hhave held up well unlike the rears :p

I'm driving a '15 3 mexico build. Do note that I'm in Canada so some options may not be available to me without paying duty fees. To my knowledge,this puts rockauto out.

In short, I'm looking for something good that will last. I don't need high performance brakes. If it performs as good or better than OEM I'll bbe happy. Looking to save a little over the OEM parts as we all know are stupid expensive for what they are. Not saying they're bad, just overpriced.

Thanks guys.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,290 Posts
I got a list from M3 boards - M3RacerX

*Brembo
*Wilwood
*Ferodo
*EBC
*Hawk
*Akebono
*Power Stop
*StopTech
*Centric

Quality comes at a premium price. OEMs metallic pads are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a list from M3 boards - M3RacerX

*Brembo
*Wilwood
*Ferodo
*EBC
*Hawk
*Akebono
*Power Stop
*StopTech
*Centric

Quality comes at a premium price. OEMs metallic pads are pretty good.
Actually that gives me a good place to start, thanks :)

As for the OEM pads, I can't say that I don't like them. Its the dealer inflated price that I'm not a fan of. The rear pads and rotors didn't last that long for me, but that's another story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't researched what's available for the Mazda 3, but in general living in Canada does not rule Rock Auto out. When I needed parts for my Miata - including brakes, ignition parts, and even a replacement soft top - I went with Rock Auto. Their shipping is reasonable and they tell you up front exactly what you'll have to pay for customs (also reasonable). In my experience over a few orders, what they tell you it costs at checkout is exactly what you'll end up paying. Even after shipping and customs, it's still well worth it financially, in addition to the convenience of what's generally a very good selection.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I generally go for the cheapest rotor I can find. If you like the painted hat, the cheapest painted rotor. IMO all the slot, drilled, etc rotors is a gimmick and only worth the price if you like the look. Though i hear a lot of the "coated" rotors getting good reviews these days i haven't used them yet.

Pads I buy the "best" I can or stick to OEM. I found akebono proact ceramic pads and auto stores like autozone top end pad work well with low dust and no noise.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I generally go for the cheapest rotor I can find. If you like the painted hat, the cheapest painted rotor. IMO all the slot, drilled, etc rotors is a gimmick and only worth the price if you like the look. Though i hear a lot of the "coated" rotors getting good reviews these days i haven't used them yet.

Pads I buy the "best" I can or stick to OEM. I found akebono proact ceramic pads and auto stores like autozone top end pad work well with low dust and no noise.
Totally agree about the rotors. Drilled and slotted were created for racing to get rid of gas buildup trapped between pad and rotor. Not many of us are putting that kind of abuse on our brakes to make it do anything.

As for rock auto, yes I have purchased parts from them. The issue is I might have to pay duty fees if it comes from down south. That blows any savings out of the water. This happened to me buying new motor mounts in the past....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Totally agree about the rotors. Drilled and slotted were created for racing to get rid of gas buildup trapped between pad and rotor. Not many of us are putting that kind of abuse on our brakes to make it do anything.

As for rock auto, yes I have purchased parts from them. The issue is I might have to pay duty fees if it comes from down south. That blows any savings out of the water. This happened to me buying new motor mounts in the past....
I didn't mention rock auto. Ibwas referring bto local parts stores like autozone, napa, or whatever is local to you. They generally source from same or similar. Buying their top end pads is generally fine, for example autozone duralast gold ceramic pads

·
*The Electrician*
1,001 Posts
World Brake Rotor(WBR) has rotors for us and can be warrantied if they warp. Im in Canada too and that was 1 option my local parts guy gave me. At $85CND per rotor front or rear that's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like I said yesterday: I haven't found this to be the case with Rock Auto. Whatever duties you'll have to pay are stated by them up front when you check out. In my experience there are no negative surprises. At least with the things I've bought from them, I found it still to be a good deal for purchases in Canada when all costs are factored in. I'd take a look before dismissing them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for any replies.

At some point my 3 is going to need new front brakes. At least those hhave held up well unlike the rears :p

I'm driving a '15 3 mexico build. Do note that I'm in Canada so some options may not be available to me without paying duty fees. To my knowledge,this puts rockauto out.

In short, I'm looking for something good that will last. I don't need high performance brakes. If it performs as good or better than OEM I'll bbe happy. Looking to save a little over the OEM parts as we all know are stupid expensive for what they are. Not saying they're bad, just overpriced.

Thanks guys.
https://www.mazdapartsprime.com/ has everything OEM Mazda at budget friendly prices. They don't ship outside of the US but you can have your order shipped to a freight forwarder if need be. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for any replies.

Thanks guys.
I've always had good luck with NAPA brakes, especially Adaptive Ones, although I don't think they're available for these cars. They can be expensive but they're consistently quality parts IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had very good results with the Centric Preminum rotors and pads. They were (quite) affordable and have been really good about resisting warp-age. My experience has been with a Ford Focus, as the Mazda hasn't required brakes yet. But I would not hesitate my self to give them a go on the M3.

They have been a bit dusty, but with good pedal feel and no noise.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would also highly recommend Centric. I ended up going with centric premium rotors and posi quiet pads, semi metallic version for better bite.

Been using them for several months now and they appear to resist rust on salted roads better than oem. Braking has been a bit better than oem semi metallics after the posi quiets broke-in. I was also surprised that with rockauto's shipment to Canada (duties plus dollar conversion) and my local mechanic, I was able to do all 4 for around $550 Cdn taxes-in, which is nearly half the price our stealerships charge ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I haven’t tried on the 3 yet but I had success with the Powerstop kit (pads and rotors, supposed to work together) on the Tacoma and Odyssey, improving the “lack of initial feel” issue. I think the 3 suffers the same issue, scared the heck out of me couple of times when I had to brake hard to avoid rear ending the car in front. I won’t use oe when time to change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had very good results with the Centric Preminum rotors and pads. They were (quite) affordable and have been really good about resisting warp-age. My experience has been with a Ford Focus, as the Mazda hasn't required brakes yet. But I would not hesitate my self to give them a go on the M3.

They have been a bit dusty, but with good pedal feel and no noise.
I put Centric Rotors and pads on my 05 Accord when the rotors warped. The Centric rotors are highly rated and I didn't have any issues with warping or squealing noises, very happy with the purchase. When I need pads and rotors for my 15 M3 SGT, I will buy Centric again.

BTW, the rotors I got were painted so no rust to look at. Since I live in Washington state all other rotors I have seen form rust where the brakes aren't on the disc...just an ugly site to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you haven’t ordered yet.....

Call Carl @ perry auto in laval....

Rotors should be ~$35/ea

I bought the power stop z23 pads and would not recommend them. Much less initial bite and modulation than oem pads. I’d be curious if anyone has found pads that feel as good as the oem ones for cheaper.... oem front pads in Canada are $160ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,290 Posts
2018 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L - OEM Brake pads / rotors w/electronic brake (JAPAN)

Rear Pads B4Y0-26-48ZB $144.58 (cdn)
Attachments B460-26-49ZA $ 30.72
Rotors B45G-26-251B $ 85.06

Front Pads B6YS-33-28ZA $144.58
Attachments B4Y0-33-29ZB $ 30.72 (2nd picture)
Rotors B45G-33-251A $ 99.15

Just a quick list for a brake job cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
225 Posts
I just tried on Akebono Premium Ceramic Brake Pads (got it from Ebay) - so far so good as a daily driver. Seems alot more responsive, with a better bite than OEMs.
How have the Akebono's held up so far? What's the dust level?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts