2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The rear pads on my 2014 Mazda3 were worn down to nothing so I replaced the pads and rotors on the weekend.

The driver side works well, but the passenger side is always touching. I know they always touch, but when you get up to certain speeds, you can actually hear it touching and the rotors/pads are becoming glazed because of it.

I drove about 75 km on them, took it off, removed the shine from the rotor and pads, greased everything up well, put it back together and this pic attached is from 5 minutes of driving last night. You can see where it is making contact the whole time.

I spoke to a garage and they said brakes need 500km to settle, but if I'm glazing the pads/rotor, it doesn't seem to me that letting it settle like that would be a wise choice. I imagine the piston is seized or something of the sort, but if you have any other recommendations to check, please let me know.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep sounds like a sticky or seized caliper. If you can't get it free'd up replace it before it ruins your new rotor and pad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you didn't lube up the caliper pins prior to installing the new pads, the pins may be sticking.
The pins are greased and moving freely.

Replace them both? Or just the one with the current issue?

Yep sounds like a sticky or seized caliper. If you can't get it free'd up replace it before it ruins your new rotor and pad.
Do you have suggestions on how to free it up?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The pins are greased and moving freely.

Do you have suggestions on how to free it up?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
If the pins are greased and moving freely and you used the right grease then it's only really the piston in the caliper that could be the issue. Replacement is the way to fix that. I don't know anyone that DIY rebuilds OEM calipers.

Too much grease on the pins can also be a bad thing. What kind of grease did you use? Since being recommended Sil-Glyde by a mechanic I haven't used anything but it. I used the wrong grease once and the pins were free at first but the grease quickly became thick and cake-like and stopped the pin from sliding. Lived and learned...

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
If both the rears were worn out and the fronts were still ok, there is a problem with both sides. Sticking OEM calipers have always been an issue. I would replace both sides just to make sure everything is working right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If the pins are greased and moving freely and you used the right grease then it's only really the piston in the caliper that could be the issue. Replacement is the way to fix that. I don't know anyone that DIY rebuilds OEM calipers.

Too much grease on the pins can also be a bad thing. What kind of grease did you use? Since being recommended Sil-Glyde by a mechanic I haven't used anything but it. I used the wrong grease once and the pins were free at first but the grease quickly became thick and cake-like and stopped the pin from sliding. Lived and learned...
I used Permatex Silicone brake lubricant but as it still has the issue immediately, I don't think it's become thick and caused issue yet.

If both the rears were worn out and the fronts were still ok, there is a problem with both sides. Sticking OEM calipers have always been an issue. I would replace both sides just to make sure everything is working right.
Yes, both rears were down to nothing while the front was still OK. They were all even in November when I put the winter tires on I believe. The one rear seems to be working properly now as far as I can tell.

When you say OEM calipers, were they only an issue before? Am I OK to order OEM now from Mazda or should I be getting another brand? Called a few places so far and nobody could get any, only Mazda has.

·
Super Moderator
6,160 Posts
I used Permatex Silicone brake lubricant but as it still has the issue immediately, I don't think it's become thick and caused issue yet.

Yes, both rears were down to nothing while the front was still OK. They were all even in November when I put the winter tires on I believe. The one rear seems to be working properly now as far as I can tell.

When you say OEM calipers, were they only an issue before? Am I OK to order OEM now from Mazda or should I be getting another brand? Called a few places so far and nobody could get any, only Mazda has.
Don't mix silicone and petroleum based lubes. You'll end up with a mess.

If it was hung up before it probably will do it again. No guarantee that the sliders are the problem, it may be the pistons. I would do both. No sense in finding out the hard way.
There have been at least 4 TSBs on this for cars from 2004 to current models. If Mazda is the only source you have available, then it would appear you have no other choice. However, there are some online stores that have reman parts. Centric has them, Partsgeek has them and there are most certainly others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Don't mix silicone and petroleum based lubes. You'll end up with a mess.

If it was hung up before it probably will do it again. No guarantee that the sliders are the problem, it may be the pistons. I would do both. No sense in finding out the hard way.
There have been at least 4 TSBs on this for cars from 2004 to current models. If Mazda is the only source you have available, then it would appear you have no other choice. However, there are some online stores that have reman parts. Centric has them, Partsgeek has them and there are most certainly others.
Thanks, I'll look further into it in the morning and see which ones ship to Canada.

Edit: Spent the last few hours taking it apart, grinding down the bracket to bare metal, lubing, checking whatever I can think of to rule out before it being a caliper issue. Put it all back together and no luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts