2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we just replace our stock brake disk like the item below without any modification? Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're referring to the slotting & drilling, then the answer is YES.

Yes i am referring to that. Will our stock brake fit? Sorry its my first time to upgrade. I just want to be sure before i proceed.

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
Yes i am referring to that. Will our stock brake fit? Sorry its my first time to upgrade. I just want to be sure before i proceed.

Will it fit? Don't know. Check with the vendor. Without specific information, it could fit anything.
There are some caveats that need to be addressed when using drilled and slotted rotors. They heat up faster, but also cool faster so you can use pads with a higher heat range than normal. They make noise, more than OEM rotors. If not designed properly, they can crack through the holes when used hard. Good ones ($$$) have properly spaced and chamfered holes. Not good for track work, ok for autox and fast street use. :smile2:

·
Registered
441 Posts

This is being made too complicated. To answer your specific question & not throw in a bunch of other stuff about whether you should want drilled &/or slotted rotors, my answer is still correct: YES!

Just make sure you buy rotors to fit your year of Mazda 3 & they will work with the stock brake calipers. The drilling &/or slotting of the rotors have nothing to do with fit.

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
This is being made too complicated. To answer your specific question & not throw in a bunch of other stuff about whether you should want drilled &/or slotted rotors, my answer is still correct: YES!

Just make sure you buy rotors to fit your year of Mazda 3 & they will work with the stock brake calipers. The drilling &/or slotting of the rotors have nothing to do with fit.
It has been my experience that "will they fit" does not always equate with "will they work".
More times than not I have seen somebody install these and later complain that the new brakes were too noisy or a rotor had failed a month in. Mostly this is due to the buyer not understanding what the consequences of using this type of rotor can be. So, full disclosure before purchase can alleviate problems and further expense down the road. :smile2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got the slotted rotors installed on my rears. No big issues besides the huge amount of brake dust that accumulates.

·
Super Moderator
5,553 Posts
I got the slotted rotors installed on my rears. No big issues besides the huge amount of brake dust that accumulates.
Dust issues are more likely to be a pad issue, not a rotor issue. Some pads make tons of dust, others not so much. Doesn't make much difference if the rotors are drilled or slotted.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It has been my experience that "will they fit" does not always equate with "will they work".
More times than not I have seen somebody install these and later complain that the new brakes were too noisy or a rotor had failed a month in. Mostly this is due to the buyer not understanding what the consequences of using this type of rotor can be. So, full disclosure before purchase can alleviate problems and further expense down the road. :smile2:
If getting slotted/drill I would avoid some eBay crap. I had one cracked in the holes and rotor destroyed in less than a year. It just didn't held up to the weather. The cheap one could also have bad cutting so you need to check groove, it could eat up your pad. Well what I'm trying to tell you, save your money for better / trusted brand especially for such a nice car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts