2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bird is the word!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and OV have been arguing for about a good half hour about how I think he should run a BOV to prevent surge or spike in boost to make his turbo go boom he says BOV are a waste of money and are there to make noise that his tune is the shit and hell never surge I'm just trying to convince him to protect his setup! Input please ready go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
let me explain right here, what I told you. everybody is under the myth that bov's are required or your turbo blows up. show me some proof.
Bov's are for kids who like loud noises coming out of their engine bay.
like I said, With a properly setup and sized AR hotside turbo housing, and wastegate ( internal or external ) with the right psi spring, you will never spike boost. I have never spiked even with my bleedoff type Boost controller
A bov /bpv is a good idea if you have a journal bearing turbo, it does cause more stress on the shaft. ( at high boost )
I have a DUAL BALL BEARING turbo, which are completely supported by the ball bearings. I do not get the same shaft stress a journal bearing does.
why? what is the best shape for taking stress? a sphere I believe is the strongest.
there is a different between compressor stall ( lift "surge" ) Lift surge doesn't damage a thing, esp in a BB turbo. The sound you hear is just the compressor blades chopping the air as it escapes. I want to see in real life, A piece of metal that be bent, by 10psi of air being shot at it.
and inboost compressor surge. INBOOST compressor surge causes damage. kills turbos, kills engines. because the turbo is being 1 overspin, 2 brought way out of it's efficiency range. this is from too small of a turbo for the engine, or too small of a hotside on a large turbo.

there are cars, around the world, that are built from factory, that never had a bov or bpv. I know I had two of them. they were even journal bearing turbos on 15psi and I clocked 150k on that turbo.. it didn't die, I sold it.

you are so sure that I will spike boost, even though I have never spiked on this setup!

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
let me explain right here, what I told you. everybody is under the myth that bov's are required or your turbo blows up. show me some proof.
Bov's are for kids who like loud noises coming out of their engine bay.
like I said, With a properly setup and sized AR hotside turbo housing, and wastegate ( internal or external ) with the right psi spring, you will never spike boost. I have never spiked even with my bleedoff type Boost controller
A bov /bpv is a good idea if you have a journal bearing turbo, it does cause more stress on the shaft. ( at high boost )
I have a DUAL BALL BEARING turbo, which are completely supported by the ball bearings. I do not get the same shaft stress a journal bearing does.
why? what is the best shape for taking stress? a sphere I believe is the strongest.
there is a different between compressor stall ( lift "surge" ) Lift surge doesn't damage a thing, esp in a BB turbo. The sound you hear is just the compressor blades chopping the air as it escapes. I want to see in real life, A piece of metal that be bent, by 10psi of air being shot at it.
and inboost compressor surge. INBOOST compressor surge causes damage. kills turbos, kills engines. because the turbo is being 1 overspin, 2 brought way out of it's efficiency range. this is from too small of a turbo for the engine, or too small of a hotside on a large turbo.

there are cars, around the world, that are built from factory, that never had a bov or bpv. I know I had two of them. they were even journal bearing turbos on 15psi and I clocked 150k on that turbo.. it didn't die, I sold it.

you are so sure that I will spike boost, even though I have never spiked on this setup!
Oh orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Bird is the word!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the term the ‘cartridge ball bearing’. The cartridge is a single sleeve that contains a set of angular contact ball bearings on either end, whereas the traditional bearing system contains a set of journal bearings and a thrust bearing (Garret)

My PRO reasons to using a Journal vs Ball bearing are as follows:
1) Actual spool difference between two IDENTICAL turbos only difference being one is ball bearing and one is journal bearing is ONLY about 1-300RPM faster spool. Yup that is it, do not believe the hype that it will spool significantly faster.
2) Price that you pay for the faster spool is not worth it IMO because you can definitely spend your hard earned dollars on other mods that will benefit you better in the long run.
3) Easier to install a journal bearing turbo.
4) Easily and cheaply rebuild a journal bearing turbo
5) IF your ball bearing turbo decides to "rest in peace", you might as well let it because it will drain your wallet once again to be resurrected.
6) With a properly designed manifold and properly selected turbo for your setup you can actually see better spool from the new journal bearing turbo's.

My CON reasons to using a Journal vs Ball bearing are as follows:
1) Longer cool down time for journal bearing turbo.
2) Slightly slower spool time than ball bearing turbo

Surging only has to do with turbo, it has nothing to do with the BOV. But I assume you are referring to compressor stall. If the spring is so tight that air can't vent, it is comparable to not having a bov at all of being welded shut and it will cause a compressor stall. But if tuned properly and hooked up correctly, no, a BOV won't cause any stalling, as its whole purpose is to prevent stalling.Compressor stall on the other hand, is harmfull as it puts extra stress on the compressor shaft.

You seem to think that your Ball bearing is invinsible and nothing will ever happen too it.. All im trying to convince you of is to either way wether you will ever surge or not to protect your Turbo since you are ball bearing im sure you know that a turbo costs an arm and a leg lmao. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
OV SMH I'm loosing my respect for you lol. Mazda wouldn't have put them stock if they weren't necessary

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
tell me why there are STi BB kits that run 25psi from a real racing company that run no BOV's ?? tell me why so many cars around the world are made without bovs.

90% of your post had nothing to do with a bov

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
tell me why there are STi BB kits that run 25psi from a real racing company that run no BOV's ?? tell me why so many cars around the world are made without bovs.

Real racecar builds aren't for longevity......
If the setup dies there are funds to replace. Also there is a specialized team building said motors and no offense you are smart but you aren't a team of racecar builders.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Theoretically yes you don't need one but the point of the BOV is to reduce turbine stress. It is there to reduce manifold pressure. The BOV is a butterfly valve so where is all that back pressure gonna go?

A lot of Turbo Road Race cars do not use BOV...it keeps the air pressurized better for that boost of acceleration when exiting a turn and they also used only oil cooled turbos...which they would replace every season

·
Bird is the word!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was simply trying to put it out there that journal bearing and ball bearing are not total opposites that you seem to think that your turbo is invincible beacuse its ball bearing BUT surging happens at the turbo regardless of setup it does happen AKA snow getting stuck in your intercooler and all of a sudden your car thinks its running on 100+ octane and that the BOV is simply there to protect the setup... Or shall we refer back to the K04 that you blew that supposidley came fucked up from ebay even though you ran the turbo plenty of times.. Your knocking on a homie thats trying to help you protect Essentially YOUR MONEY im not goona argue anymore its your setup just one car guy to another trying to put my advice in

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
95% of your build isn't set up correctly. Just saying.
well why don't you tell me how you would do it then genius? you never have even seen my setup
and the fact that I daily on it and boost daily on it must mean something is fucked up.

and I was never really respected to begin with.

you can believe all the hype you want about bov's.

proven fact, turbo cars have been around for 20 years without them. NOT just race cars. cars you buy from the dealer. and that was with journal bearings.

Don't worry, like I have said a million times over, I know i'm a complete noob retarded retard that doesn't know shit about cars, let alone how they run or how anything works. I accept it.
I'm just curious how cars were doing it for 20 years without a problem , but all of a sudden now it blows cars up?

and tune IDK what the fuck you are talking about my K04 for. my first one I SOLD. I had 2 of them. one I bought it was already blown.. probably why it was only 50 bucks. but the seller didn't specify that. would you like to see it? there is no way in hell I could do damage to the compressor wheel like it has. so get your facts straight. Another thing, I didn't want to say this to you but Having snow on your intercooler does not make your car think it's getting 100 octane fuel. IDK where the hell you got that idea. oh and another thing. they dont UP the octane of gas in winter. oh and another thing, when you use a boost controller, your wastegate is NOT completely open, IDK how the hell that setup ran for you but it is dead fucking wrong. If your wastegate is always open you are always leaking exhaust gas, and not making boost, no boost controller is going to help it if your wastegate is always OPEN.

and I will run my setup how I run it. It has been working for me for months.

oh And since I'm 95% fucked up wing, I really want to know how you would tackle this type of setup?? you can't call someone wrong if you don't even fucking know how to do it.

·
Bird is the word!
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't worry, like I have said a million times over, I know i'm a complete noob retarded retard that doesn't know shit about cars, let alone how they run or how anything works. I accept it.

I'm just curious how cars were doing it for 20 years without a problem , but all of a sudden now it blows cars up?
Woah woah I hope that wasn't toward me you know I love you haha I was trying to see what everyone though on bov vs non bov

On another note I just ate Halloween captain crunch it was the shit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Porsche 944 Turbos dont have bov's. but they have bypass valves. does that count?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Ok before this thread goes ape shit lets just chill and forget about it. OV were not saying you cant run w/o one were just saying that its means for reliability. Anyway lets keep it no higher than this mood wise dont wanna see old members getting at each other. Lets have respect for one another.

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
ok, but I really want to know how Wing would even attempt this setup. he always has shit to say about my car so lets hear it, how is the correct way of doing it wing?
I have a theory that you and wing are actually the same person. Kinda like that episode of family guy where rush Limbaugh is the same as Michael Moore and they all end up being that kid from the wonder years in costume. Yeah like that. You two always seem to butt heads and have the polar opposite opinion on pretty much everything. Conspiracy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.