2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a first timer w/Mazda and had an unusual, technology-twisted new car buying experience. Previously I've been in the Subaru family with an all wheel drive focus. Now my interests have shifted to fun, adventure combined w/high mileage efficiency. I was attracted initially by the #1 rating for this car in the small/compact/hatchback vehicle categories.

Being new to Mazda, I did my research online and carefully selected the desired options. However, the specific model was not to be found on the lot of the first dealership I visited. That must be typical because there are so many combinations and the vehicles are preconfigured at the factory. Returning home, I pulled out my laptop thinking to make some difficult compromises. It was then I discovered the capability to search inventory of local dealers on the Mazda website. I identified an available machine matching my preferences (sGT HB TE3 blue). (BTW, I don't appreciate the comments in the forum comparing the hatchback version to a Hyundai). I traveled to the corresponding dealership and did a test drive on a readily available SGT demonstrator. I was pleased w/my experience. When it came time to negotiate the transaction I explained the options & color I wanted to the sales rep. The rep pulled out the inventory sheet printed that morning and said they did not have any vehicle with that particular combination. Hmm, then what is the deal with the website, I asked. She did not know and left our negotiation cubical to seek answers from the geek squad.:wacko:

Frustrated, I pulled out my phone, googled for the information I viewed previously. Hats off the to Mazda USA website. It had a mobile friendly mode that allowed me to navigated to the very page that showed the vehicle I wanted and indicated it to be in their inventory. Also listed on that tiny screen was the VIN. I hastily copied the number to paper worried it might all disappear in a poof. Not a moment later the sales rep returned with shaking head and proceeded to point out the closest approximation to my inquiry. Casually, I held up the phone and handed her the slip of paper. Confused, she again left and made a trip to the mysterious hidden manager-level-deal room. Conclusion was that the vehicle is supposedly enroute, should arrive in the next week. She agreed to to take my deposit in order to reserve that particular vehicle. I'm now nervously waiting and hoping that physical reality meets up with the virtual one.:stuart:

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
Hope everything works out for you. And yeah, elantra's are decent cars, but dont handle nearly as well as mazdas.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Cool story, bro. I had a similar experience.

Researched the model and options I wanted and then did an inventory search for it. A car showed up, several states away. I contacted the dealership and asked about transporting that particular car here and was told it would take a week. A week later I get a call from the sales chick, telling me that the particular car I want isn't available because apparently, someone reserved it before we did (I put down a deposit and everything)

So now my options were to either order one and wait 3 months or settle for another model. Nothing was available in the few color options I'd live along with Tech Package and manual tranny so the conversation ended at that.

A few days later I get a call from the sales chick informing me that a manual with tech was available two states north or me. Although it's not the color I wanted, we settled for it because I needed the hatchback NOW.

The next day, I picked up my Meteor Gray I Touring hatch with tech package and manual tranny.

I also wanted the 2.5L with manual but freakin Mazda made the idiotic decision not to release that option at the time the 2014 Mazda came out, so I also settled for the 2.0L because I didn't have any other choice.

I feel that my buying experience was BAD because of poor management choices on Mazda's side.

I would have paid MORE for the color and powertrain I WANT!!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome and I hope all works out for you and you get the car your dreaming about!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea!
A few days after my first post, I got the call from the dealer who said the vehicle landed in their lot. I went that very day, finished up the deal and brought the car home It is now sitting in my driveway. My head is still buzzing from the first extended rides and after playing with all the features. Can you imagine how much different it is than my 11yr old Subaru Legacy? I won't have to top off the oil every few days in the new vehicle. Although during the salt-laden days in the Northeast I'll keep driving the Subaru. Reserve the Mz3 for the clean roads and make the final parting with with arrival of better weather.

Now, I'm hunkered down reading the operator's manual downloaded from the Mazda site. I'm considering the various mods described in these forum. I don't have experience with that in the past. I'll continue to do some research and come back with my ideas and some pictures.

BTW, found some truly useless Mazda-focus forums elsewhere, littered with spam. It makes me appreciate this resource. There must be some hard work behind that. Thanks also for the welcomes and sense of an enthusiastic community.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I purchased my particular 2014 sight unseen as well. But in this case, the car was actually on the dealer lot. I had a friend do all the grunt work, then flew in to town to pick up the car. Signed all the paperwork at the dealership, THEN actually walked out to the car, sat in it, and drove away.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Post pics of your 3 and tell us your plans. If you have any questions feel free to ask us here on your thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts