2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mazda N00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just bought a brand new 2013 Mazda 3 about a week ago, and I pretty much bought the lowest model (i SV 2.0L) for more space when I go on family trips, and for when I don't feel like spending a crap load of money on gas. I own a BMW Z4 sDrive35i, and premium gas is not cheap :tongue_smilie 1:

I have been an avid driver and fan of BMW - and know a lot about them... but not too much about Mazda besides their reliability, although I must say, for a 148-HP 2 liter, this thing has some pretty surprising pick-up with manual transmission - and I am impressed.

Still, I would like to upgrade some internals on this car. I haven't seen too many upgrade threads on here except for MazdaSpeed3s. My question is, since it isn't a MazdaSpeed3 - is it worth the upgrades - or can it even handle them without having to rebuild the entire car? I didn't ask about these capabilities with the dealer nor did I research them beforehand, because I guess I really don't care either way - but it wouldn't make me unhappy to slap some goodies in it.

Thanks for the advice either way, and I hope I am not too much of a Mazda noob for this forum.

- Logan

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
First off welcome!!

the normal Mazda 3 can't put out power like a speed but your best bet is to make a handling car.. Stiffer rear away bar, lowering and grippier tires will make the car handle superb..only issue would be if its a family car the. Lowering it may cause it lose its comfy ride

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
#MonsterMazda
461 Posts
First off welcome!!

the normal Mazda 3 can't put out power like a speed but your best bet is to make a handling car.. Stiffer rear away bar, lowering and grippier tires will make the car handle superb..only issue would be if its a family car the. Lowering it may cause it lose its comfy ride

This^^

and welcome!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I'm with razerer. the mazda3 is a fantastic handling car. and with springs/shocks or coils and a rear sway bar, the car handles 10x better. there isn't too much you can do with increasing power, but handling mods, the sky's the limit.

·
Mazda N00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off welcome!!

Thanks a bunch Razerer! And everyone else for confirming and welcoming me!

A bit of a let-down when it comes to power, but hey, handling is always a plus no matter what! I am really loving this Mazda for what it is, and I am really able to appreciate it. Thank you for all of the help.

Any recommended places/manufacturers to get these handling parts?

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
If u wanna go over the top tri point engineering offers a race grade rear sway bar.. Springs as such eibach coupled with koni springs has been a proven setup though I recommend coilovers.. You cannot go wrong with any given brand.. BC have great coilovers but many say they are rough ride.. I run H&R which are like $100 more but much comfier though u don't get the adjustable stiffness which I don't care about..

I would also like to point out racing beat
http://www.racingbeat.com/Mazda/Mazda-3.html?id=shnvNMKy
is a great manufacturer as well and I think for your family car their products with mild drops and "just right" stiffness sway bars that don't give adjustability.. Slap em on and don't worry about adjusting

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
corksport, cobb, racing beat, james barone racing, you can't go wrong with any of these. I did just pick up a james barone rear sway bar for the speed3 and am in love with it. it made the car completely neutral in the corners. goodbye understeer.

maybe a cai? adds some hp. no more than 10 hp probably. exhaust would open it up some also.

·
Mazda N00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
corksport, cobb, racing beat, james barone racing, you can't go wrong with any of these. I did just pick up a james barone rear sway bar for the speed3 and am in love with it. it made the car completely neutral in the corners. goodbye understeer.

maybe a cai? adds some hp. no more than 10 hp probably. exhaust would open it up some also.

Sounds like what I was thinking. I can't find any CAIs that support 2.0L (looked at AEM and K&N). Did find some nice exhaust systems though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts