2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another guessing weight/power saving "feature", the Bose system has lost its rear deck/spare well woofer/subwoofer.

What was 235 watts/10 speakers is now ??? watts and 9 speakers with no dedicated woofer. It still sounds decent up to about 3/4's, but trying to balance the lows and highs is a nightmare and the '14+ Bose just does not have anywhere near the power my '10 did.

Went to look for the woofer when I bought groceries the other day and it was strangely missing from the package shelf. Thought to myself WTF?? Where did they hide it? Nothing in the trunk panels. Look at the window sticker and sure enough - "9 Speaker"

Still won't say a deal killer but yet another unfortunate de-content from Mazda. Again the 3rd Gen has gained noteworthy class exclusive features reserved for luxury cars, but lost some standard luxury fare. :thumbsdown 1:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another guessing weight/power saving "feature", the Bose system has lost its rear deck/spare well woofer/subwoofer.

What was 235 watts/10 speakers is now ??? watts and 9 speakers with no dedicated woofer. It still sounds decent up to about 3/4's, but trying to balance the lows and highs is a nightmare and the '14+ Bose just does not have anywhere near the power my '10 did.

Went to look for the woofer when I bought groceries the other day and it was strangely missing from the package shelf. Thought to myself WTF?? Where did they hide it? Nothing in the trunk panels. Look at the window sticker and sure enough - "9 Speaker"

Still won't say a deal killer but yet another unfortunate de-content from Mazda. Again the 3rd Gen has gained noteworthy class exclusive features reserved for luxury cars, but lost some standard luxury fare. :thumbsdown 1:
Strange, to me it sounds much better to me than the Bose system in Gen 2. The 9" woofers in the front doors are more effective than the tiny 6 1/4" trunk woofer. Sure it could use a real sub, but the Gen 2 bose system was even more lacking in the bass dept.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strange, to me it sounds much better to me than the Bose system in Gen 2. The 9" woofers in the front doors are more effective than the tiny 6 1/4" trunk woofer. Sure it could use a real sub, but the Gen 2 bose system was even more lacking in the bass dept.
Ummm what size in the front doors? :w00t 1:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ummm what size in the front doors? :w00t 1:
Yes - 9" speakers in the doors. My guess is it looks something like this: Bose CAR Woofer 9" Inch Fronr 2 0ohm 15278539 | eBay
I found some much nicer looking 9" woofers, but they are pricy, I have no idea if they will fit, sound better, or how one would go about powering them. I expect that the new HU is at least similar to the old bose HU and outputs and unmolested signal that you could patch into an after market amp. Then Replace the front rear components and a sub. You might be able to swing a JBL MS8 (half off on Amazon right now) plus a dedicated AMP for the SUB. This would let you continue to power and use the center channel speaker if you want.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think bigger door speakers to carry the base is a good idea. The spare tire woofer had the disadvantage of being muffled if you had stuff loaded over it in the cargo area. I always thought that was a bad location.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't there a small sub in the dash? I swear my wife's 2013 CX-5 had a small sub in the dash.
Its the center channel for Centerpoint - just a twiddler/tweeter.

Starting to lean on the fence from my '10 with a dedicated woofer/subwoofer to my '14 with the bass coming from up front. Sound quality on the '14 is so much better than my '10. Still does not go as loud which is only needed during window down 70+ freeway cruising so not too huge of a loss.

Must say after 2.5 weeks it is actually a very good system. Having to fiddle with the bass setting more often than my '10, but higher quality sound all around.

Reactions: mjoa68

·
Registered
269 Posts

Starting to lean on the fence from my '10 with a dedicated woofer/subwoofer to my '14 with the bass coming from up front. Sound quality on the '14 is so much better than my '10. Still does not go as loud which is only needed during window down 70+ freeway cruising so not too huge of a loss.

Must say after 2.5 weeks it is actually a very good system. Having to fiddle with the bass setting more often than my '10, but higher quality sound all around.
At least according to this PDF the CX-5 has a very similar setup to the 2014 3.
http://www.bose.nl/NL/nl/Images/Mazda_CX5_en_tcm55-56157.pdf

·
Registered
732 Posts

I completely agree.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.