2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you fellow Mazda3 owners. Anyways, I bought my 2010 GT hatch last August. I love it so far, except for the stock stereo. It is decent but nothing special. I was having some issues with the Bluetooth connectivity so I decided to replace the headunit as well as replaced the stock door speakers. However replacing these did not fix an issue that must be coming from the stock amp. When a song begins on the quieter side then becomes louder, there is a distinct moment when the amp seems to lower the volume to compensate for the increased signal it's receiving. Then when the loud part ends, it brings the volume back up. It's become quite annoying to me and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. If nobody has any ideas about why this might be happening, I'd love to hear suggestions about upgrading with an amp/sub package of some sort. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
86 Posts
1) Mazda does have “audiopilot” on the Bose system that turns the music down as you slow down, but I’m not sure this is what you’re talking about. The regular stock system I believe has something similar.
2) Nearly every stock stereo in any car will do this either through the headunit or the amplifier. Think of it like the option on your TV “normalization” that makes all the sound around the same so you can watch at a lower volume at night and still hear everything. But with the car audio I think it’s generally to protect the speakers from blowing from different and otherwise uncontrollable audio inputs. Say you connect your phone and it’s jailbroken and has some sort of sound booster on it, they do it this way to prevent damage to the stock speakers.
I guess you can look in to seeing if there is a way to turn it off on the stock amp. But the Bose is set up to work at ..2.2 Ohms? I think. Since you replaced the headunit I would guess it may be that your only option is to bypass the stock amp altogether.

Edit* as far as upgrading I haven’t done mine yet, but I swear by Skar audio. Not super-high priced but made by a former employee of Sundown. I’m either going to take my Skar 10’s out of my Ridgeline and trade them over or install a Bazooka tube. Bazooka wouldn’t take up as much space and no extensive tuning to worry about since the amp is built in. Plus, the Bazooka could possibly be mounted so that it projects out from the trunk with some rigging. I haven’t looked at it well enough. Want to be the Guinea Pig? ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts