Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reactions: jwermers

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think it's a placebo...If I spent a couple hundred dollars let alone $500 to $1000 to upgrade my system then it better sound better and believe it will every single time. I must have the only 2017 Mazda 3 hatchback with a kickass Bose system. I got base as my mirrors shake all day long. I actually have to turn up my treble up to the max just to balance out the base which is set to 4. All my songs set to "rock" from iTunes. It's the best stock system I've ever had in a car and I have no reason to change.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a placebo effect... I've had several passengers in the car since the upgrade and they've all commented on the difference in sound quality without me saying anything. The stupid Bose emblems are still on the speakers too... I wanted them to bring it up before I told them what I had done to it.

I rented a VW Atlas and it showed me just how lacking the Bose system was. If you get to ride in a car with a better system, it may change your mind too.
CK

·
Registered
5 Posts
My biggest issue with deciding whether to upgrade my Bose speakers is the noise level in the car. At lower speeds it's easier to judge nuances in the sound quality. But once the car gets up to cruising speed the road noise increases I find that it's a bit of a wash. And I'm not especially keen on cranking up the volume, there is no sense in abusing my ears for 2 hours of daily commuting.

Granted the treble could use more definition and sparkle, although I'm fairly happy with the mid range especially at lower road noise levels. I'm not a bass head so I don't need to have my innards vibrate to the beat. I have fed the BOSE stereo from a digital audio player of decent quality through the AUX input using hi rez music files and it does sound pretty good, better than bluetooth streaming. But again I find that the tonal nuances and lower level musical details get lost from the ambient noise at higher speeds and worse road surfaces.

Thanks for making the effort to share your recording. I can hear some differences (sharper transients and accentuation) but I'm not entirely convinced that the inprovement justifies the input costs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I appreciate your comparative analysis, @CerealKiller. I've been dissatisfied with the stock Bose system and if I had the extra cash would sound dampen and change out the drivers in my Mazda3.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest issue with deciding whether to upgrade my Bose speakers is the noise level in the car. At lower speeds it's easier to judge nuances in the sound quality. But once the car gets up to cruising speed the road noise increases I find that it's a bit of a wash. And I'm not especially keen on cranking up the volume, there is no sense in abusing my ears for 2 hours of daily commuting.
Using the Bose AudioPilot function helps with road noise at higher speeds. As your speed increases, so does the volume.

I've found that adding Dyna Mat to all 5 doors helps too.
CK

·
Registered
182 Posts
Damn I missed the drama?

IMO audiophiles generally are disappointed with OEM offerings, especially premium offerings as they know how to spend money and upgrade their system.

In regards to audio I'd consider myself a Joe Blow consumer. As cars get newer I find base audio systems are better. And I find OEM premium offerings pretty good. If there wasn't a Bose system I would probably buy some aftermarket speakers and be happy with it. That is what I did on my last car.

I think people like me can appreciate the improved quality of a custom system but when the cost is factored in as well as it might not be integrated as well as an OEM, we juat stick to OEM.

I gueas it's similar to how I like to "upgrade" make cars brakes, tires, suspension and others don't really see the point even if they can notice the difference.

As a person ignorant to audio stuff I am happy with the Bose system and don't feel a need to spend any money on the audio system. Also i think it will be hard to tell a difference in your audio system when i am listening to youtube on my phone speaker.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for cleaning it up arathol. There wasn't much drama, just one user trying to start crap.

Also, I'm not trying to bash the Bose system, I just wanted to share that there are better options out there for people that are interested in finding them. Some people take their audio very seriously and I was hoping to share my attempt at improving things for anyone interested.

The installer at Al & Ed's was also able to keep all of the original controls working properly with the Audiocontrol processor. I can use all of the HUD and steering wheel controls, as before, and the Bose AudioPilot and CenterPoint still work too.

Here are the components that were used to replace the Bose speakers (except the center dash speaker).

-Focal Speakers 6 1/2" 2 way components flax series PS165FX - Dash and front doors.
-Focal Speakers 6 1/2" access 2 way components 165AS - Rear doors and back speakers.
-Alpine Amp 4x100W + 1x350W PDR Series PDR-V75 - Under the driver seat.
-Audiocontrol Loc 8 Ch W aux-in/dash control gray processor LC8I - Under the passenger seat.
-Stinger amp power kit 6000 4 GA w/ in line midi SK6241
-Stinger Interconnect 4000 2ch 6 ft
-Stinger Hush Mat
-Dyna-Mat all doors.
CK

Reactions: Siceci

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1 Posts
Needless-to-say, what we hear is also a function of our playback equipment.

In my case, a 2016 MacBook Pro, FIIO Mont Blanc amp, Brainwavz M2, and HiFiMan HE 400i. Significantly better definition ... whereas the Bose seems more "dramatic", the new set-up sounds more authentic.

But will it work in my CX-3? ;-)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very true about the listening equipment. Nice gear btw....very impressive.

Yes, it would work in a CX-3 too. You just need to find a competant installer to hook up the processor and amp and wire up all the speakers.

The installer said the Bose system was a tricky one to replace. He felt that he under quoted the labor, after diving into it.

I'm still debating whether to add a 10" sub. It would go where my spare tire is with a custom built box.
CK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts