2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I installed the CS hangers for my exhaust, and the tech guy noticed that my exhaust tips were not straight, the left sticks out more than the right, also the hangers in the left is a little bit more diagonal than the one in the right which is straight, here are some pics that explain the situation better:

From Below:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Back View:zAdx

Looking from the back the exhaust tips look aligned and at the same height but from the sides the left one sticks out a bit more:

I loosened the clamp shells from both sides and try to play it with both muffler sides, but regardless of there position it would stick out the same way. I Also checked the 4 hangers point connections and they seem fine and not bent in any way.

So my question are:

1- it is possible to fix this that the left tip doesn't stick out more than the right?
2- Is this issue because the Y-Pipe assembly is connected to the flange not properly? Or perhaps the welding from the Y-Pipe is not proper, making the left side a little bit longer?
3-Does anybody else who has installed the Borla Exhaust experiencing the same misalignment issue?

I was not able to unscrew the Y-pipe piece that connect to flange, if it is that piece that is making the problem then I'm planning to go to the place where they installed the exhaust for the first time so they can actually straighten up properly but I would like to check with you first what you think.

As always I'm ery thankful for any input :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Was it also misaligned with the stock rubber hangers?

Reactions: JHNYSNZ117

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
From what I've seen & compared, this is a common Borla issue due to its multi-jointed assembly. Some have 1 tip protrude more or look lower/higher than the other. Some have tips not centered on the cutouts. If adjusting the clamp joints won't get em aligned, try massaging the Borla hanger rods. This might require torch heating.
Having installed a handful of RBs on 3s, I've never had any trouble w/ uneven tip alignment. Their welds are precise & consistent. Quality is topnotch. The lone drawback for 1pc units=pricey shipping.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've seen & compared, this is a common Borla issue due to its multi-jointed assembly. Some have 1 tip protrude more or look lower/higher than the other. Some have tips not centered on the cutouts. If adjusting the clamp joints won't get em aligned, try massaging the Borla hanger rods. This might require torch heating.
Having installed a handful of RBs on 3s, I've never had any trouble w/ uneven tip alignment. Their welds are precise & consistent. Quality is topnotch. The lone drawback for 1pc units=pricey shipping.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I would agree that the built finish from Borla is not top notch, some welding points are noticeable and were not properly polished from the mufflers and pipes, a 4 part setup makes things more complex, also the design is not aerodynamic, but putting all negatives aside the sound of this exhaust is where it excels at. I also read on other forums that tips sticking out is a fairly common problem with Borla exhausts.

What I think is going on here is that the left muffler was not seating straight on the hangers, then when the Y-pipe assembly was connected to the flange it needed to adjust to the incorrect position of the hangers and now the flange is being pulled slightly outwards, making the left tip stick out a little bit more.

I'll go tomorrow to the place where I have the Borla installed and see if this can be straightened out, hopefully they will...

I wonder if other people here with their Borla's encountered the same issue. I know that in the end it's a small issue but it really bothers me.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
From the pix, it's not really noticeable though. A bud had some misalignment on his Borla & had it massaged by an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So yeah, went to the exhaust place where my Borla was installed, the tech told me that the exhaust position is fixed, nothing to do with the screws tightening, connection with the flange or the hangers fixed in the chassis, it's simply how the hangers rods were weld on the left muffler.

He unscrewed the Y-pipe screws that connect with the flange, we positioned the left muffler straight in the hangers, then I pushed "forward" the left muffler to keep the alignment straight in the hangers as the tech torqued the screws with the flange but regardless of this procedure the non-straight position returned...

As @minsanity stated many Borla exhausts come this way and it's a very frequent issue as you can google in many different forums, at this stage I would not ecommend the Borla exhaust to anyone despite its terrific sound.

Possible solution is to massage the hanger rods as recommended above but I can live with the exhaust the way it is. A few inches here and there is not a big deal but I would expect better QA from Borla.

I hope this thread is helpful for some members, I can say with certainty that this is my last Borla exhaust for sure... I'd rather have a well built product without a terrific sound than a non-polished product with terrific sound. Why? because in the end that is exactly why we pay so much money for, we pay for quality...

Thanks to you all, and cheers! :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
My borla kit came all jacked up from the factory. One tip was welded on upside down and the other was crooked.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My borla kit came all jacked up from the factory. One tip was welded on upside down and the other was crooked.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience :frown2: .

I'm guessing they had the courtesy to fix everything and they sent you a proper exhaust, right? Are the tips and rubbers seating straight now?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Aiiihh... I had my eyes set on the Borla, but now this makes me think twice. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. I'm sure it's appreciated by many:)

Reactions: Davidval18

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,437 Posts
Reactions: mmmson

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience /forums/images/Mazda3Revolution_2014/smilies/tango_face_sad.png .

I'm guessing they had the courtesy to fix everything and they sent you a proper exhaust, right? Are the tips and rubbers seating straight now?
I’ve had several Borla systems over the years with no problems. They’re probably my favorite exhaust company. They made it right and sent me a new one. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts