2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Borla Exhaust: Online Dealer Recommendation

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Road Trip 
#1 ·
After too much research, I've decided on the Borla Axle-Back exhaust. On their site they list a number of online retailers. I've read mixed reviews on all of them and was wondering if there's a go-to for most folks or any that I should definitely stay away from.

JEGS High Performance
Auto Anything
JC Whitney
SS Exhaust
Summit Racing

I could go through Amazon (Motorsport Supply) as well. I plan to order in the next day or so. For anyone that has actually purchased this exhaust, did you get everything you needed to install it. I've seen videos where they didn't supply a flange gasket and/or the flange bolts couldn't be used off the stock system and didn't come with new one.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Where'd you get the gasket? Dealer? If elsewhere, any chance you have a part number. I've seen videos online that show that the flange bolts are welded on one side which requires you to replace them when you put in the new system. I should probably pick some of them up as well.

I teach at a college and am in charge of a department that includes our auto shop. My install will cost me $0. I just want to make things as easy as possible for the mechanics.

#11 ·
Delivery attempted yesterday. Since I work, no one was home and it had to be signed for. Contacted warehouse from where it was shipped since having it help at UPS wasn't an option. Contacted warehouse it shipped from. Quick response from them saying, as the middleman, they can't change the delivery options. Contacted seller. Prompt response. Had it held. Picked it up today.

Specifically asked if all hardware would be included before I purchased. Assured that it would be. The gasket is not in there. The flange bolts are as well as the clamps. I didn't fully inspect the system but did find that the flange has beads on the sealing surface from the welding process. I took a picture but can't upload it. I'm guessing I have to have a certain number of posts.

I contacted the seller. I don't intend to send it back unless I find more issues when it gets installed a week from tomorrow. This is a reflection on Borla and not the seller as they most likely had no idea what was in the box.

#13 ·
Any update on the install or, better yet, your overall butt dyno and noise impressions?

I have a CS cat-back system and am considering replacing the axle-back portion with something that has a muffler. CS is a bit too loud and drones even with other custom mods. Custom welding in a useful size muffler isn't really any option with limited space already used up by resonators, plus the pipes split before the wide open trunk area, so I'd only have room to put it on the one pipe (passenger side).

#14 ·
Have had it installed now for about a month. For me, it hits the sweet spot of being loud when I get on it a bit but is otherwise mostly quiet. There no real drone that I've noticed. I'm taking a ~500 mile road trip next weekend, so I'll be able to pay more attention to that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.