2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the bore and stroke of the 2.0,2.3 and 2.5 liter Mazda 3 engines. Can you bore and stroke out a 2.0 liter to a 2.5 liter using the piston, rods and crank from a 2.5 liter.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think so
If I remember correctly, I saw a video on youtube where they actually explained that the 2.5 was not simply a bored out version of the 2.0, but instead the entire engine was actually upscaled
So no parts are interchangeable, they compared the head gaskets as an example and it was bigger on the 2.5

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
I need to know the bore and stroke of the 2.0,2.3 and 2.5 liter Mazda 3 engines. Can you bore and stroke out a 2.0 liter to a 2.5 liter using the piston, rods and crank from a 2.5 liter.

Thank you for your time.
To answer your question, no you can't. The bore spacing is insufficient. You can't bore it out to use larger pistons without cracking the cylinder walls. In fact, trying to turn a SkyActiv motor into something it isn't now is not going to happen for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone have the bore and stroke specs of the different engines?
I'd be interested in the difference between the lower compression North America model and the rest of the world.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I use the crank, rods and pistons from a 2.3 liter to stroke out my 2.0 liter to a 2.3 liter? I'm taking a mechanics class in college and trying to impress my teacher with the engine I'm rebuilding for my 2007 Mazda 3i.

Thanks for your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts