2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's sad and funny at the same time that the near top two threads in this forum are about my car accidents. Last night I had accident #2 (within 7 months of the last one) when some dumb deer decided to see who was stronger: her or the Mazda3.

I would say we collided at about 40 mph but luckily it was mostly the deer's head and neck that hit the car. Even so, it caused very similar damage to my last accident and my Mazda3 was STILL drivable. Tough ass car but I'm starting to think it might be cursed! :p

So far it looks like the windshield washing fluid tank ruptured (it's completely empty), the passenger side headlight structure is broken into mannnnny pieces in the back and bottom, the turn signal is broken, the low beam is broken, the bumper is broken and the hood is dented right at the front.

P.S. - The Mazda3 won.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Next mod. Those little deer horns. Those that have lived in the Midwest know exactly what I am talking about.

·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next mod. Those little deer horns. Those that have lived in the Midwest know exactly what I am talking about.
Do those things really work? I always thought they were "placebo" deer repellant.

·
Registered
987 Posts
i've heard they work like charm. it should be easy enough to hide them and still get enough airflow for 'em to work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do those things really work? I always thought they were "placebo" deer repellant.
It's hard to prove something works to "prevent" deer strikes. Of the vehicles that I have had them on I have never struck a deer. I also have seen deer on the side of the road bolt away from the road when traveling (not towards the road) But the fact of the matter is I may not have ever hit a deer without them. I know that a lot of folks up north use them and they are fairly easy to conceal. You just have to make sure they can get wind to them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know people who swear by those things. I guess they are supposed to work like the little whistles to train dogs. Some frequency that only animals pick up and run like hell from since it is really annoying. I've never used them and never hit a deer *knock on wood*. They are really easy to conceal and I know you can get them in black to hide in an area of the bumper that might not see a lot of light!

Good luck with the repair!

·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the initial estimate in from the insurance adjuster guy today: $3,300. That's actually about $1,000 more than my previous accident that involved an actual car. The headlight alone was around $700!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I got the initial estimate in from the insurance adjuster guy today: $3,300. That's actually about $1,000 more than my previous accident that involved an actual car. The headlight alone was around $700!
I hope you have a low deductible!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts