2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is going to change his worn rear shocks, but one of the lower shock bolts is stripped. Before we take the old hardware off, we want to have a the proper size tap on hand to clean it up. Does anyone know the bolt and thread size for that bolt? His 3 is a 2010 model.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
A buddy of mine is going to change his worn rear shocks, but one of the lower shock bolts is stripped. Before we take the old hardware off, we want to have a the proper size tap on hand to clean it up. Does anyone know the bolt and thread size for that bolt? His 3 is a 2010 model.

Thanks,
Mike
This has been covered over and over. You will need to get it from the dealer. I believe they are only like 10 bucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
You can use other bolts! I used an M12x90mm bolt with fine pitch thread for my rear shocks. Make sure it is a grade 8 or higher and you won't have any problems. No sense in spending $10 a bolt or w/e it is. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has been covered over and over. You will need to get it from the dealer. I believe they are only like 10 bucks.
Dude, no reason for an attitude. This has NOT been covered over and over. Read my post again. I'm not asking for the bolt; I'm asking what the bolt size and thread pitch is so that when we remove his stripped bolt we can use a tap and clean up the threads in order to install a new bolt.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Dude, no reason for an attitude. This has NOT been covered over and over. Read my post again. I'm not asking for the bolt; I'm asking what the bolt size and thread pitch is so that when we remove his stripped bolt we can use a tap and clean up the threads in order to install a new bolt.
No attitude intended. Sorry if you thought there was. Calm down man! Lol
Install a New bolt. I said where you could get one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was there ever a part number posted for this? I know this is a 7 year old thread, but I'm looking at replacing and would like replacement bolts in case the threads get stripped

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the pleasure of swapping a buddy's suspension for coilovers this past weekend. For some back story, we managed to strip the driver side rear shock bolt when getting a bit too eager about getting the car buttoned back up... and so the forum digging began...

I was a bit frustrated at some of the responses on this thread and hoped to lend a helping hand to any future readers. Here goes the information dump...

This is on a Gen 2, Mazda 3 Hatch (2011). This is for the rear shock mounting bolt (see diagram below), not the upper top hat 12mm fasteners just to further clarify.
The thread pitch and size is a M12x1.25 (fine pitch), approximately 90mm length. Part Number is 9YA02-122K.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET THIS FROM THE DEALERSHIP
, however it is the easiest source if they are open. We found a replacement at Lowe's (offered only as a Metric Grade 8.8 and not advised for use on suspension), however ultimately re-threaded our OEM bolt as the dealership was not only closed on Sunday, but also had restricted working hours due to the current Covid-19 outbreak in the world.
We bought a tap and die set to fix our threads. We tried Lowe's, Advance Auto Parts, Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool. Northern Tool was the only store that offered an M12x1.25 tap and die in their inventory.

Here is a link to the OEM bolt if you have time to wait -> 9YA02122KD - Mazda Bolt | Mazda Online Parts, Orland Park IL

Here is a link to general torque specs for suspension bolts etc: MS3 Suspension Tq Spec's
This is to be used at your own risk, Lower Shock Bolt ranged from 55-77 ft-lbs. We torqued ours to 60 ft-lbs.

Here is a diagram to show the location of the bolt:

Hope this helps somebody in need!

I'll be taking my spoon back now :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the pleasure of swapping a buddy's suspension for coilovers this past weekend. For some back story, we managed to strip the driver side rear shock bolt when getting a bit too eager about getting the car buttoned back up... and so the forum digging began...

I was a bit frustrated at some of the responses on this thread and hoped to lend a helping hand to any future readers. Here goes the information dump...

This is on a Gen 2, Mazda 3 Hatch (2011). This is for the rear shock mounting bolt (see diagram below), not the upper top hat 12mm fasteners just to further clarify.
The thread pitch and size is a M12x1.25 (fine pitch), approximately 90mm length. Part Number is 9YA02-122K.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET THIS FROM THE DEALERSHIP
, however it is the easiest source if they are open. We found a replacement at Lowe's (offered only as a Metric Grade 8.8 and not advised for use on suspension), however ultimately re-threaded our OEM bolt as the dealership was not only closed on Sunday, but also had restricted working hours due to the current Covid-19 outbreak in the world.
We bought a tap and die set to fix our threads. We tried Lowe's, Advance Auto Parts, Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool. Northern Tool was the only store that offered an M12x1.25 tap and die in their inventory.

Here is a link to the OEM bolt if you have time to wait -> 9YA02122KD - Mazda Bolt | Mazda Online Parts, Orland Park IL

Here is a link to general torque specs for suspension bolts etc: MS3 Suspension Tq Spec's
This is to be used at your own risk, Lower Shock Bolt ranged from 55-77 ft-lbs. We torqued ours to 60 ft-lbs.

Here is a diagram to show the location of the bolt:
View attachment 276614

Hope this helps somebody in need!

I'll be taking my spoon back now :)
Hey man how has the bolt been holding up? I'm actually replacing the rear struts on a gen2 hatch that are made for a gen 1 and read that a longer bolt would accommodate this. I checked the part# that you stated above and it looks like the new part# is 9YA0-21-22KD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey man how has the bolt been holding up? I'm actually replacing the rear struts on a gen2 hatch that are made for a gen 1 and read that a longer bolt would accommodate this. I checked the part# that you stated above and it looks like the new part# is 9YA0-21-22KD.
Bolt is holding up great, no issues whatsoever. Car has been driven daily/spirited for about 2,000 miles since we swapped the suspension.

I cannot say for certain that you can replace gen2 suspension components with gen1 without doing some digging myself, do this at your own risk.

The part number you gave looks identical to the one previously stated, they are likely the same however double check fastener lengths and thread dimensions if you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bolt is holding up great, no issues whatsoever. Car has been driven daily/spirited for about 2,000 miles since we swapped the suspension.

I cannot say for certain that you can replace gen2 suspension components with gen1 without doing some digging myself, do this at your own risk.

The part number you gave looks identical to the one previously stated, they are likely the same however double check fastener lengths and thread dimensions if you can.
Hey did you just reuse the original spacer or throw on a normal washer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts