2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know the 2014 Mazda3 took a lot of interior design cues from Germany's best.
but, i guess one of new upcoming ultimate driving machines liked the new HUD on the mazda3 enough to add one to their 2 series active tourer. in the past, all the HUDs in BMWs were projected onto the windshield. i think mazda was the first company to have a flip up hud. i could be wrong.

BMW 2 Series Active Tourer Photo Gallery - Autoblog

·
Registered
46 Posts
looks more like VW to me from the outside. I believe Mazda took a few things here and there from BMW, Mercedes maybe thats why the interior looks like the Mazda. I don't know about the HUD thou

·
Registered
310 Posts
Look at the side of the new 3, and you can see quite a bit of the "flame surfacing" influence from Chris Bangle's time as BMW's styling chief.

He took a lot of flak for some of his designs, but they were never visually uninteresting. And I love watching the way light and reflections play off the 3, just like I loved the way they played off some of the BMWs he was in charge of.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The new mini cooper is using a HUD too, but has nicer color display instead of our monotone. I guess bmw and mini is the same company, that's why their HUD looks similar.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The Mini as it is known is built in house in England. Except for their performance moded engines handled with input by the John Cooper Works. All is done in house and is separate from BMW which does the NA marketing/sales. Both the BMW autos and Mini's are owned by the BMW Group . That was the way it was told to me. Apparently Saab also has a HUD system; so is becoming more common as time flies or is it as Saab flies !

The HUD is old stuff in the auto industry. Apparently GM introduced it in 1988 in some of the Olds series but I guess it didn't take off so all are trying it again.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I was surprised they went with the flip up HUD as opposed to the same reflective HUD they currently have on the higher end models. I wish our 3s had the HUD that projects onto the windshield and changes colour from white to orange depending on how much light is outside

·
Registered
583 Posts
Would be interesting to know if there is some sort of reflective material in the front window for HUD or jest regular glass ? If there is wondering if insurance goes up for higher cost of glass replacement ? Don't have HUD , but be interesting to know .

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Would be interesting to know if there is some sort of reflective material in the front window for HUD or jest regular glass ? If there is wondering if insurance goes up for higher cost of glass replacement ? Don't have HUD , but be interesting to know .
I believe there is some sort of coating on the windshield that will allow for the display. I'm glad the HUD is on a separate unit because I wouldn't be able to tint my windshield if the HUD was projected onto the windshield. Also, replacement windshields will be super expensive, it's over $2k for the BMW replacements and about $1.5k for the corvette windshield.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes they are pricey but not surprised. I guess that is why Mazda went with their system; a little more practical .

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think the design looks like it came from Jaguar. Sleek and sexy to say the least.

Problem is, that's not the compliment it once was. Jaguar's latest designs don't look like the came from Jaguar. A Hyundai Sonata now has more dynamic tension in its flanks than a Jag XJ.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For me, the 3 looks like it would have liked to have been an Alfa Romeo, but without that egg-sucking Edsel grille that Alfa is slapping on all its junk lately. The 3 looks better than the Brera, for instance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, the 3 looks like it would have liked to have been an Alfa Romeo, but without that egg-sucking Edsel grille that Alfa is slapping on all its junk lately. The 3 looks better than the Brera, for instance.
new mazda/alfa miata twins to come out later this year.
maybe mazda is dropping some hints for us with the mazda3 haha.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Mini as it is known is built in house in England. Except for their performance moded engines handled with input by the John Cooper Works. All is done in house and is separate from BMW which does the NA marketing/sales. Both the BMW autos and Mini's are owned by the BMW Group . That was the way it was told to me. Apparently Saab also has a HUD system; so is becoming more common as time flies or is it as Saab flies !

The HUD is old stuff in the auto industry. Apparently GM introduced it in 1988 in some of the Olds series but I guess it didn't take off so all are trying it again.

Having driven the new MINI Cooper, I would suggest that although the production plant is in Oxford, UK, as you say, the engineering, design, chassis, the engines, and the parts bin that they raided to make the new MINI, are all straight out of Münich. This is one seriously BMW BMW MINI, now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Having driven the new MINI Cooper, I would suggest that although the production plant is in Oxford, UK, as you say, the engineering, design, chassis, the engines, and the parts bin that they raided to make the new MINI, are all straight out of Münich. This is one seriously BMW BMW MINI, now!
yeah I was gonna say - when I lived near the Munich factory, I could swear that I saw the MINI rolling out of the production line.

As for the chassis, the original MINI chassis - that's out of England. Rover designed the new MINI, BMW bought it. BMW-ised it a bit and finished the product off. Of course, newer chassis' are entirely in-house now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do like the fact that with the Mazda HUD, the info projected, can only been seen by the driver. I'm not sure if that's the case with the windshield projected displays. Maybe someone with knowledge of the windshield HUD's, can weigh in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look at the side of the new 3, and you can see quite a bit of the "flame surfacing" influence from Chris Bangle's time as BMW's styling chief.

He took a lot of flak for some of his designs, but they were never visually uninteresting. And I love watching the way light and reflections play off the 3, just like I loved the way they played off some of the BMWs he was in charge of.
I don't agree the new 3 design has any resemblance to Chris Bangle's design on BMW. Bangle's design is more sharp angle, while the new 3 is more smooth curve, what Mazda trying to copy "a cheetah in running motion".

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do like the fact that with the Mazda HUD, the info projected, can only been seen by the driver. I'm not sure if that's the case with the windshield projected displays. Maybe someone with knowledge of the windshield HUD's, can weigh in.
A friend had a 'vette with the HUD that used the windshield. I never saw anything from the passenger seat, and never would have known there was any HUD if he hadn't mentioned it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Totally agree. Bangle was heavily criticized & now every company has flame surfacing & calls it something else (Mazda's Nigare & now Kodo).
That sharp line at the bottom of the side panel running upwards towards the back is a dead giveaway.

Examples here:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts