2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Mazda3 iTouring with tech package/bose audio upgrade. My firmware is 55.something. I'll double check and edit the post.

Hello all,

Ever since I bought the car, I've had this irritating issue of the bluetooth audio being insanely quiet. I've tested with a Note 5 and Note 8, and both have the same issue-- the bluetooth audio is almost half of what it is when I use an aux cable. When I have music on driving on the highway, I have to blast the volume up to 40 to get the same volume level that the aux jack gets at 20.

I know that bluetooth quality suffers compared to aux, but literally half? On top of that, when I do blast the radio up that high, the sound quality is still lacking compared to the aux cord. I have noticed that the audio is slightly better when I use android auto and connect via USB. Not to mention-- if I get a call on bluetooth the volume is insanely loud all of a sudden, and I have to turn it down.

I've googled the issue but it seems like everyone says "aux is just gonna be better, bro", but half of the volume output??? I don't buy it. My girlfriends 2014 Mazda3 iTouring WITHOUT the tech package has higher bluetooth audio volume than me.

Here's what I've tried on both phones:

• Made sure media and bluetooth volume was all the way up on the phone
  • Played with the equalizer on the phone and car
  • Tried turning on the 'smart volume' setting that adjusts for background noise
  • Removing the device from the infotainment system and re-adding it
  • Installing the AIO features (was just kinda hoping something magic would happen-- not really much troubleshooting here)
  • Using different streaming services besides spotify from my phone. Youtube and pandora are just as bad. Including the built in Pandora app.
  • Turn it on and off again
It's not a dealbreaker...it's not even a huge deal. It's just a small annoyance that's built over time. With how poor the noise insulation is, I find myself turning the volume from 15 at a standstill, to 40 on the highway. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
[*]Made sure media and bluetooth volume was all the way up on the phone
The above was my first thought, but you seem to have that part figured out.

My 2015 w/ Bose also has lower Bluetooth output with a Galaxy S6 or S9, but not as bad as you describe. Maybe 20% lower, but not half. I have two suggestions:

1. Go to the Google Play Store and download the app "Sound Assistant." It's an official Samsung app, it's small, and it's free with no ads or other junk. It gives much more control over sound options than the regular volume control. It will allow you to set app-specific volumes, not just broad categories like "media" or "ringtone" or "call volume." Maybe you can find a setting that will allow you to boost the volume from music apps, but bring down the call volume.

2. Borrow a different phone from a friend and try it. Maybe the Bluetooth output of the Note devices is just low by default.

*Caveat: I think the Sound Assistant app is made for Galaxy devices. It should also work for the Note, since they are so similar, but I can't guarantee it.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,335 Posts
I would look into upgrading your firmware in the car.

They have made several changes to the audio and BT features over time.
CK

i.e. BT audio volume in my car is the same as my other inputs. If there is a difference, it is not noticeable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would look into upgrading your firmware in the car.

They have made several changes to the audio and BT features over time.
CK

i.e. BT audio volume in my car is the same as my other inputs. If there is a difference, it is not noticeable.
Good idea! I've never had BT problems myself, but several folks here have mentioned that problems went away after updating.

Although it seems that the OP is on v55 and uses AIO, so they may not want to update to a locked version. In case the OP is unaware, v59.00.441 is the highest North America version that is still unlocked. It's totally safe to update to that one.

If they want to go higher, they need to do the AIO scripts before installing v59.00.502 or above so they can still use AIO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have v59.00.330 and have the same bluetooth issue. most stuff on spotify can get loud enough for me with BT but a few mp3 albums i have on my phone play at a really low volume. When I play those albums through the AUX it is so much louder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried all of the above with no luck. I'll update the firmware on the car to v59.x and redo the tweaks I want to keep and update later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, have the same issue on my Miata.
Did the Android Auto / Carplay Update, with firmware 70.00.335 but whenever I press the Voice button, it's insanely low volume (like 1 / 50) from the seat headphones. No change after all radio parameters have been change.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Have you tried to change the volume via volume knob during a system/AA/CP voice message? While the message is spoken its an own volume type/setting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts