2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Bluetooth Delay

84K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Jpdavey76 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Have any of you experienced about a 2-3 sec delay when you change a song or play videos using a phone/ipod device that is hooked up via bluetooth? Cause my 2011 M3 has that delay which I personally hate. Is there a way to fix this problem and ideas?

Thanks

#4 ·
If I'm not mistaken, this is an iOS or Apple device issue. My windows phone doesn't have this problem, but my iPod Touch does.

Reactions: Loaine23
#6 ·
I had a delay when I would connect my Android and iPhone. Ever since I bought a Windows phone, I haven't had that delay issue.

I have noticed something odd on my car, though. Idk if it might be a wiring issue or not, but whenever I come to a semi-hard stop, my music seems to get lower and when I start accelerating again the music gets louder to how I had it before the stop. I've been observing this for about two weeks now. It's so strange. Is it a Mazda thing? Or does my car just have an issue with the audio?

#8 ·
I have the delay also. it's 2-3 seconds on calls I make also. the funny thing about us talking about this "delay" is that back in the day (10 years or more), we could never do this. everything is so fast nowadays that we have forgotten to be patient. technology can sometimes be a bad thing. just sayin

#11 ·
This is normal for anything bluetooth due to the fact of streaming. Ive had this on anything that requires Bluetooth

#14 ·
Yea, I guess its a personal preference, but I defiantly don't like the delay. However the stock sound system that comes with the M3 sounds really good so I guess it makes up for it. But it would be nice to see if there was a solution to take out delay.

#19 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with this with my 2012 M3. The Pioneer X6500BT unit I put in my old car was flawless (e.g., zero sync issues with videos and no delayed responsiveness with play/pause/etc.); I expect this to be the same, but it has an approximately 2.7 second delay. I just shot off emails to both Mazda and Johnson Controls (the maker of the BT module) to see what they say. Probably won't get anywhere (seems no one else has), but I'm either going to find a device for which the delay isn't present and figure out why, or give up on that and figure out how to wire in a new head unit while keeping the factory mic and upper LCD cluster intact and functional. If I don't get too frustrated and just give up on everything, I'll post an update when I have it.

#20 ·
So, to follow up on what I posted above, I emailed both the manufacturer of the BT module and Mazda's bluetooth helpline. As it turns out, they're the same entity. Also, they were of no help. I attempted to explain in simple terms what the problem was and offer a couple of examples (video/audio sync and a delay between hitting play on the device and hearing the response in the car). Their response was that audio and video aren't fully/officially supported. BS, I say (in nice terms), audio is audio, and the BT version in their car should play with no delay, so could they offer any more help or advice? I received no reply to that email. So I said screw it and just went ahead and installed my aftermarket unit and it works perfectly. All I need to do this weekend is take apart a bit of the dash and unplug the factory BT module because my phone's still trying to sync to it, which is annoying. I may either wire in the factory mic to the aftermarket head unit or route the aftermarket mic into the headliner, but that's a project for another time.

#23 ·
I also get a delay using bluetooth but I believe that is normal.

Gonna go a little off topic. My problem is getting metadata tag info from mp3 files to display properly onto the MID. I have a Galaxy S2 and it only works with the default music player and Double Twist app. However, I can't do random shuffling with the default player, so I end up having to use Double Twist.

I also notice that the audio quality is better when plugging in a USB drive.

#27 ·
Mazda 3 BT audio delay fix

This may already be resolved but not familiar with site. So with my 2016 Mazda 3, there was a 2-3 second blue tooth audio delay between my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone and the car audio. For listening to music through car speakers it isn't noticeable. When sitting in a parking lot and watching Netflix on my phone with audio streaming thru my car, it looked like a bad Godzilla movie where the peoples lips were moving but the sound didn't match. So the work around was that I discontinued the bluetooth audio link between the car and phone. I then hooked up my charging/data transfer cable to my phone and plugged it into the mazda usb port. I then pull up my phone from the Mazda Audio selection list, i.e- USB1 Samsung. The Mazda Infotainment will list my audio files on my phone after it syncs. Then I go back to the Mazda Bluetooth audio connection and activate it by selecting my phone. The audio and video from Netflicks are now correctly synced. I can actually unplug my phone from the cable and the audio will remained perfectly synced until I shut down the car or select a different audio source. Once I do that I have to resync everything again. Hope this helps

#28 ·
Hi there, I've tried this method as I've been facing the same thing using my Samsung Galaxy S8 and my Mazda CX-9 2018 and it didn't work, I got hyped when I read your comment thinking it'll work out for me too =( my sound system is Bose Sound system and the trim of the car is GT.

#29 ·
An Android app called Sound Assistant (free) has a feature called Bluetooth Metronome that you can set the delay for the bluetooth speaker/car and get in sync.
The delay used to annoy me to no end, but it's not an issue anymore... for my phone. I'm watching a movie on my laptop (parked, not driving) and I forgot the delay was a thing. Now I'm trying to find a Windows version of the Sound Assistant...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.