2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum but couldn't find a match to this issue, so:

Just got a brand new 2013 iGT (woohoo for the rebates and loyalty discounts!). It's the third Mazda we've bought, and the best to date. It has the big stereo system with the integrated nav and satellite touch screen control head. But I'm struggling with configuring Bluetooth audio.

I have an iPhone 4S and a 4th gen iPod Touch. Both support Bluetooth of course, but I do not intend to use the phone as a media player; I have tons of music, much more than will fit on the phone anyway. So I configured both to use in the car and keep functionality separate.

Here's the problem: when I start the car, it immediately grabs the iPhone and sets it up as phone (no problem there) and media player (I removed all music from the phone; otherwise it would jump into playing a song before I was ready to select something). I have to navigate up and down the menus for a couple of minutes to switch the media player function back to my iPod and get back to the audio screen. From then on, everything works - I get song data and control on the built-in touch screen and everything is cool.

Until I shut the car off. When I start it back up, everything goes back to the default and I have to painstakingly reconfigure the iPod as media player again. It's still 100x faster than plugging the iPod into the USB cable (which locks up the iPod for 10-15 minutes as it downloads the file lists) so I've been enduring it.

Surely there's a way to make the settings for phone and media player "stick" so that I don't have to do this again and again? I even deleted the pairings and made the iPod first in the list of Bluetooth devices to see if that helped, but it jumps straight to the iPhone every time.

I hate to disable Bluetooth on the phone, because the hands-free operation is quite nice and useful; but it would solve that part of the problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't remember off the top of my head how i did it but I have one phone set to only media player duties and my other phone only handles phone calls. When my phone call phone is the only phone in the car I only get a phone handset icon on my display, and when the media player phone is the only one in the car I only get the little music icon.

However I did it it was directly from the manual and was fairly simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's not a problem when you only have one device in the car; when I have the iPod and the phone both, it always wants to assign media player to the phone first. It doesn't matter which order they appear in the Bluetooth device list. If I set the iPod to media player, it works until I shut the car off; then it switches back to the iPhone when I start the car again. The manual says that the car will remember assignments once they have been set; this does not happen on my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts