2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: I'm mightily embarrassed but I found the solution and it was an easy fix! Go to the home screen of the mazda while your phone is connected. Click on Communication, and scroll down to Settings. I don't remember the exact verbiage but there was an on/off switch for "Incoming Call Notifications." Turn this on so there is a check mark, and suddenly the calls come in just fine!!

Hello, hope I can get some help with this issue.

I have a 2018 Mazda 3 HB for a few months now. I've connected my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone to the car through Bluetooth with all permissions. Anytime my phone is connected to the car bluetooth, any incoming calls are sent directly to voicemail.

I can make outgoing calls without any problem, but any inbound calls don't ring- not on the phone or on the car speakers. If I have bluetooth music playing, the music will pause for a second and then begin playing again. When my phone is connected to bluetooth headphones (ie not the car) it works just fine and incoming calls work fine. The issue is obviously on the car side.

I found a few other posts here and elsewhere with this issue; one person suggested resetting the Infotainment screen. I held down the Back + NAV + Mute button for 10 seconds and restarted the Infotainment in my Mazda twice, but the call issue persists.

I've restarted my phone numerous times; I've disconnected and reconnected the phone bluetooth to the car. I've tried it on a friend's phone, and had the same problem. Has anyone come across this and actually have a solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other threads where this has been brought up:
"I've being having a weird issue for some time now with my infotainment blocking/ignoring calls. whenever I'm in my car my phone basically goes straight to voicemail. It's like my car is sending all calls straight to voicemail. If I turn my Bluetooth off on my phone, calls come through. I've changed phones and it still does the same thing."

" While driving AA will automatically send all calls to Voicemail. The screen starts to transition to the call screen on the dash but immediately cancels and the call is rejected. I have reset my cars infotainment and factory reset my phone. I have also gone through all related settings in my phone. No settings are activated that would cause such behavior. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/9p52px "I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and an iPhone 7 Plus. I basically always have my phone connected via Bluetooth for music when I’m driving. When someone calls me, it rings once and then immediate declines/hang up the call. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it? "

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
138 Posts
I would get the kit and install it. Then you can bypass having to figure out this bug that apparently plagues the infotainment software. It’s one of the first things, and to date the BEST thing I did with mine. You can find it for $150 or less from various sources, and it isn’t hard to do yourself.
I’m sorry I can’t help you with the onboard software, but you may spend hours trying to figure it out when you could spend less than an hour upgrading the entire system.
It’s extremely worth it. Though, I despise Google and stopped buying Android phones years ago. I have seen AA work in the Mazda and it seems just as good as Carplay.

Edit:
I did look online and this problem doesn’t seem specific to any particular vehicle. I found two possible solutions.

“Go into settings, and then into "Apps", tap on the three dots in the top right corner and then click on "show system apps". Scroll down the list of apps and click on the three "Phone" apps, and clear cache and data for each one. After that tap on the three dots again and tap on Reset app Preferences. This should help. Would also chat to network provider to make sure they haven't done anything on their side.”

The second suggestion is that it has something to do with your actual voicemail settings, either something you can change yourself or something you may have to call your provider to fix.

And I’m sure that you’ve already checked to make sure “Do not disturb” settings aren’t causing this, but it’s worth mentioning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would get the kit and install it. Then you can bypass having to figure out this bug that apparently plagues the infotainment software. It’s one of the first things, and to date the BEST thing I did with mine. You can find it for $150 or less from various sources, and it isn’t hard to do yourself.
I’m sorry I can’t help you with the onboard software, but you may spend hours trying to figure it out when you could spend less than an hour upgrading the entire system.
It’s extremely worth it. Though, I despise Google and stopped buying Android phones years ago. I have seen AA work in the Mazda and it seems just as good as Carplay.

Edit:
I did look online and this problem doesn’t seem specific to any particular vehicle. I found two possible solutions.

“Go into settings, and then into "Apps", tap on the three dots in the top right corner and then click on "show system apps". Scroll down the list of apps and click on the three "Phone" apps, and clear cache and data for each one. After that tap on the three dots again and tap on Reset app Preferences. This should help. Would also chat to network provider to make sure they haven't done anything on their side.”

The second suggestion is that it has something to do with your actual voicemail settings, either something you can change yourself or something you may have to call your provider to fix.

And I’m sure that you’ve already checked to make sure “Do not disturb” settings aren’t causing this, but it’s worth mentioning.
Thank you. Android Auto is in my long-term planned purchases, but I don't have the funds/time to get it now.

I did check all my DND settings, although someone suggested reviewing them while in the car as well, so I'll do that plus check out your idea to clear the cache on my Phone app.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back out to my car to mess around more, and found the solution for me!!

I'm mightily embarrassed but it was an easy fix! Go to the home screen of the mazda infotainment while your phone is connected. Click on Communication, and scroll down to Settings. I don't remember the exact verbiage but there was an on/off switch for "Incoming Call Notifications." Turn this on so there is a check mark, and suddenly the calls come in just fine!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts