2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new around here so I apologize if I violate any rules or guidelines here.
I'm also fairly new to modifying cars in any way, so go easy on me as I know I made my mistakes.

Here's the album of my car with yellow foglight, yellow turn light, and red taillight overlays.

So, not sure if you all know, but Andy aka BlueBatmobile is a pretty well known dude for his car light overlays. You can google him and you'd find his name mentioned in many car forums and his website is basically a gallery of customer's cars with his overlays applied on them. You can email him at [email protected] if you want to purchase any and he'll give you the price, or if you're a local like me in San Diego, you can personally meet him and purchase your overlays in person.

I was lucky enough to find him posting on a local facebook car group I'm in, advertising about a 15% off sale. I bought yellow fog light, turn light, and red taillight overlays for $50 total, as part of a deal he offered me if I were to buy all 3 sets at the same time. I can't give you actual price amounts, as he'll give you that info, but I essentially bought each in the ranges for about $30/$10/$10, which is a much better price than Lamin-x who charge about $18 for just the fogs, and almost $70 for the taillights. I'm not sure how they compare to film overlays you can buy on Ebay, but these are a better compromise if you want something pre-cut and good quality that rival Lamin-x.

First off, I've never applied overlays to anything ever. This was my first time, and I cannot stress enough that you will take a good amount of your day applying them. I thought they would only take me an hour at most, but I ended up taking more than 3 hours on just the taillights, and about 30 minutes on the fogs and turn lights. I'm not going to make a how-to on this as there's many tutorials you can look at to give you the gist of what to do. I'm also going to stress that our taillights are pretty tricky to deal with, given a lot of contours in the light. You're going to want to take it real slow and make sure you do it right every single time you try lay it on there, or else you'll end up like me with wrinkles on the edges and bubbles in the contoured areas. I highly recommend you let a professional take care of it if you want it to be near perfect and have the money to pay for labor, otherwise you're welcome to do it yourself if you feel confident enough.

The outer taillights are the harder ones because of the contour and shape, the inner taillights (the one attach to the trunk) is fairly easy. The fogs and turn signals are a piece of cake if you did the tails first. I'm by no means a professional, but all in all, I think they turned out good and seem to be of high quality despite my poor job of applying it. I just wanted to share this in case anyone else has thought about throwing some overlays on their 3rd gen Mazda3, especially the fully red taillights and yellow fog/turn lights overlays. The fully red taillights do indeed cover the reverse light and thus make the white color turn to red, which is illegal if you're in California, so watch out for cops and unaware drivers behind you. The fogs and turns are completely legal if I read the law correctly.

I highly recommend anyone who wants a fairly cheap and kind of easy way to modify the appearance of their ride by trying some light overlays out, and recommend BlueBatmobile if Lamin-x is too costly and you don't want to deal with cutting out your own overlays from a roll of film.

Tl;dr: Yellow fog/turn light and full red taillight overlays from BlueBatmobile on my Mazda3.

Reactions: Blue Batmobile

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Andrew is great! Been rocking the red overlays since January. He's making me some special ones cuz I am nervous about other drivers not seeing me in reverse. He's such a great guy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Another pic

Attachments

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
Yellow turn signals are statistically proven to reduce accidents. Plus IMO they look better. Red turn signals or turn signal/brake light combos looks cheap.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm also using bluebatmobile's overlay, they're great :D I tinted my turn signals red and reverse in the light smoke. I also have red LED turn signals and they're plenty bright. Doesn't look cheap at all. I've had amber LED turn signals before and red does look much better. They're bright as hell and plenty visible, I used to be paranoid about them being too bright and getting pulled over for them but so far no problem.

Install was really easy, spray some soapy water and set it in place then push all the water/air bubbles out, didn't even need a heat gun. I previously used some cheap red overlay film from ijdmtoys and they turn pink after a week or so in the sun. These are much thicker and color doesn't fade :)

Oh yeah, having the turn signals tinted red looks a lot cleaner in the back. Never liked the clear look much =/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andrew is great! Been rocking the red overlays since January. He's making me some special ones cuz I am nervous about other drivers not seeing me in reverse. He's such a great guy!
Yeah he's a cool dude! That's awesome he does custom work too, I was wondering if he did that in case I wanted something more specific. Yours looks great!

I'm also using bluebatmobile's overlay, they're great :D I tinted my turn signals red and reverse in the light smoke. I also have red LED turn signals and they're plenty bright. Doesn't look cheap at all. I've had amber LED turn signals before and red does look much better. They're bright as hell and plenty visible, I used to be paranoid about them being too bright and getting pulled over for them but so far no problem.

Install was really easy, spray some soapy water and set it in place then push all the water/air bubbles out, didn't even need a heat gun. I previously used some cheap red overlay film from ijdmtoys and they turn pink after a week or so in the sun. These are much thicker and color doesn't fade :)

Oh yeah, having the turn signals tinted red looks a lot cleaner in the back. Never liked the clear look much =/
Looks good dude! I'm thinking of just removing the inner taillight overlays as they are separate from the outer ones, so that the reverse lights could be white again, but I'll give it some time if I want to keep it all red since it kind of has a more aggressive look to it. Did you find doing the taillights easy? I thought opposite LOL, had to use a blow dryer so it can stretch and mold around the light. Thanks for sharing your overlays!

Reactions: leela222

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah he's a cool dude! That's awesome he does custom work too, I was wondering if he did that in case I wanted something more specific. Yours looks great!

Looks good dude! I'm thinking of just removing the inner taillight overlays as they are separate from the outer ones, so that the reverse lights could be white again, but I'll give it some time if I want to keep it all red since it kind of has a more aggressive look to it. Did you find doing the taillights easy? I thought opposite LOL, had to use a blow dryer so it can stretch and mold around the light. Thanks for sharing your overlays!
Oh you had the whole tail light wrapped? If that's the case then yea it'll be hard haha. I only had the turn signal and reverse portion done so those were small pieces. Our tail lights are already darkish red so didn't need to wrap the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yellow turn signals are statistically proven to reduce accidents. Plus IMO they look better. Red turn signals or turn signal/brake light combos looks cheap.

@rdriggett In my opinion the red is sexier and classier and by no means cheap. The amber/yellow is cheap looking. Also if the yellow turns are statistically proven to reduce accidents, then why do many manufacturers make the cars and trucks with combined or red turns?

Reactions: GerryB

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
@droberto Thank you! And yours look great too.

·
364 Posts
@rdriggett In my opinion the red is sexier and classier and by no means cheap. The amber/yellow is cheap looking. Also if the yellow turns are statistically proven to reduce accidents, then why do many manufacturers make the cars and trucks with combined or red turns?
Amber Rear Turn Signals Are Safer Than Red, But Few Use Them - Trailer Talk - TruckingInfo.com
Because red is legal and they dont care. Manufactures do things in pursuit of profit. Everywhere else in the entire world requires yellow instead of red.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it's all just preference. I came from a car that had red turn lights before my Mazda so it's not a huge issue for me. Safety wise, I can understand why amber/yellow is better.

By the way, @rdriggett, I saw in an older post that you have gold RPF1's in 17x8 et45, which are the ones I hope to get sometime soon in the future. Are there any issues or things you had to do to make sure they fit and don't rub (especially if you're lowered or not)? I don't want to deal with fender rolling or rubbing or any issues with suspension. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
For me, I originally had amber LED turn signals on my car but dislike the clear circle looking turn signal area on the housing. Having them red looks much cleaner. But yeah I can see how amber turn signals are more visible being safer, can't argue that. I've never had any problem seeing people's red turn signals any more than the amber ones. As long as it's bright enough I don't see any issues. I have more problems with cars that has dim turn signals, both red and amber.

·
364 Posts
By the way, @rdriggett, I saw in an older post that you have gold RPF1's in 17x8 et45, which are the ones I hope to get sometime soon in the future. Are there any issues or things you had to do to make sure they fit and don't rub (especially if you're lowered or not)? I don't want to deal with fender rolling or rubbing or any issues with suspension. Thanks.
I went with 17s because they were a lot cheaper, and they had the +45 offset which I needed. 8" wide is the widest 0 headache size I could find. With careful research of wheel and tire exact sizes I think you can run x8.5, and I know the max is something like x9 front x9.5 with some rolling. I'm not lowered but I would like to be. No rubbing issues even fully loaded with people, no clearance issues right now. 17s don't let you run the CS BBK so keep that in mind. IMO I should have gotten 18s for the looks and for the brake clearance, but 17s save a lot of weight and money, both on wheels and on tires. 17x8 doesn't have any issues, you could tell someone its OEM and they would believe it.

For me, I originally had amber LED turn signals on my car but dislike the clear circle looking turn signal area on the housing. Having them red looks much cleaner. But yeah I can see how amber turn signals are more visible being safer, can't argue that. I've never had any problem seeing people's red turn signals any more than the amber ones. As long as it's bright enough I don't see any issues. I have more problems with cars that has dim turn signals, both red and amber.
My main issue is when someone hits the brakes and flips on their signal with combo tail light turn light cars. You don't know if they just tapped the brakes, hit the hazards, are turning, etc. Separate red turn signals are better, but can still be confusing from a distance. Does that car have 4 brake lights and one is burned out? etc. Yellow has 0 confusion. Hazards or turning, nothing else.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My main issue is when someone hits the brakes and flips on their signal with combo tail light turn light cars. You don't know if they just tapped the brakes, hit the hazards, are turning, etc. Separate red turn signals are better, but can still be confusing from a distance. Does that car have 4 brake lights and one is burned out? etc. Yellow has 0 confusion. Hazards or turning, nothing else.
Yeah I see what you're saying. So far I haven't been confused by them yet lol

·
Vinyl Pimp
36 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new around here so I apologize if I violate any rules or guidelines here.
I'm also fairly new to modifying cars in any way, so go easy on me as I know I made my mistakes.

Here's the album of my car with yellow foglight, yellow turn light, and red taillight overlays.

So, not sure if you all know, but Andy aka BlueBatmobile is a pretty well known dude for his car light overlays. You can google him and you'd find his name mentioned in many car forums and his website is basically a gallery of customer's cars with his overlays applied on them. You can email him at [email protected] if you want to purchase any and he'll give you the price, or if you're a local like me in San Diego, you can personally meet him and purchase your overlays in person.

I was lucky enough to find him posting on a local facebook car group I'm in, advertising about a 15% off sale. I bought yellow fog light, turn light, and red taillight overlays for $50 total, as part of a deal he offered me if I were to buy all 3 sets at the same time. I can't give you actual price amounts, as he'll give you that info, but I essentially bought each in the ranges for about $30/$10/$10, which is a much better price than Lamin-x who charge about $18 for just the fogs, and almost $70 for the taillights. I'm not sure how they compare to film overlays you can buy on Ebay, but these are a better compromise if you want something pre-cut and good quality that rival Lamin-x.

First off, I've never applied overlays to anything ever. This was my first time, and I cannot stress enough that you will take a good amount of your day applying them. I thought they would only take me an hour at most, but I ended up taking more than 3 hours on just the taillights, and about 30 minutes on the fogs and turn lights. I'm not going to make a how-to on this as there's many tutorials you can look at to give you the gist of what to do. I'm also going to stress that our taillights are pretty tricky to deal with, given a lot of contours in the light. You're going to want to take it real slow and make sure you do it right every single time you try lay it on there, or else you'll end up like me with wrinkles on the edges and bubbles in the contoured areas. I highly recommend you let a professional take care of it if you want it to be near perfect and have the money to pay for labor, otherwise you're welcome to do it yourself if you feel confident enough.

The outer taillights are the harder ones because of the contour and shape, the inner taillights (the one attach to the trunk) is fairly easy. The fogs and turn signals are a piece of cake if you did the tails first. I'm by no means a professional, but all in all, I think they turned out good and seem to be of high quality despite my poor job of applying it. I just wanted to share this in case anyone else has thought about throwing some overlays on their 3rd gen Mazda3, especially the fully red taillights and yellow fog/turn lights overlays. The fully red taillights do indeed cover the reverse light and thus make the white color turn to red, which is illegal if you're in California, so watch out for cops and unaware drivers behind you. The fogs and turns are completely legal if I read the law correctly.

I highly recommend anyone who wants a fairly cheap and kind of easy way to modify the appearance of their ride by trying some light overlays out, and recommend BlueBatmobile if Lamin-x is too costly and you don't want to deal with cutting out your own overlays from a roll of film.

Tl;dr: Yellow fog/turn light and full red taillight overlays from BlueBatmobile on my Mazda3.
Awesome! Nice install :)! I need to add these pics to my gallery :).

[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts