2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 days ago I was on my way home my motor blew on my 2008 base model Mazda 3. My question is that is it worth it to get it checked out and/or replace the engine/fix the damage? Or would it be better to just try to sell it as it for just a chassis? Any of you guys experience a similar situation?

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
The car isn't worth that much, and even less with no motor. Probably would not be too expensive to have a decent used motor put in it. If it has a lot of miles cut your losses and start looking for a different car.

·
Super Moderator
637 Posts
Used motor from car-parts.com

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Gen1 cars are prime for engine swaps with the Ford Fusion 2.5L engine. Much better engine with better torque and power. The engine blocks between Mazda and Ford are identical for the 2.0L, 2.3L, and 2.5L engines.

See mazda3forums.com for several good engine swap threads! I did the engine swap a year ago for my daughter's '07 Mazda 3i (2.0L automatic). It has worked out great. The Ford engines are newer and more plentiful, hence cheaper. I got a 2012 2.5L Ford Fusion engine for $800 delivered, with only 20k miles on it. Apparently the swap works with engines as recent as 2015.

When I tried sourcing a 2.0L Mazda engine I found a few in my area, but they all had OVER 100k miles on them and were going for $1100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts