2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Guys
I am back with my block heater.
This is installed and I started to use it.
I set the timer 3 hours before leaving home, but does someone knows how long the block heater should be turn ON for best results?
Here is Canada the hood doesn't have the isolation foam, seem that european model has it.
I noticed that there is a heat lost when the block heater is turned ON, I wonder if the hood foam. I noticed the heat lost because snow was melting on the wood.
Thanks
Stef

·
Registered
566 Posts
Good evening Guys
I am back with my block heater.
This is installed and I started to use it.
I set the timer 3 hours before leaving home, but does someone knows how long the block heater should be turn ON for best results?
Here is Canada the hood doesn't have the isolation foam, seem that european model has it.
I noticed that there is a heat lost when the block heater is turned ON, I wonder if the hood foam. I noticed the heat lost because snow was melting on the wood.
Thanks
Stef
You only really need it for 1-1.5 hrs before starting your car. Saves you a lot on your energy bill. I need to get a timer myself actually.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
louis110
I did some test 2 hours and 3 hours before the start I did noticed a difference, I was looking for a range like:
by -5C you need to plug x hours
by -10C you need to plug y hours

Do you know what can be the electric bill average?
Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
It really varies from province to province but plugging it all night vs a timer can save you $100-200/month

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
louis110, if i let the block heater run all night this will cost me 100-200$ per month for electricity?
Sorry I am not following you

·
Registered
124 Posts
wow, $100 - $200 / month?? It pulls that much current through a 110v?

I'd be genuinely surprised, unless you guys get your electricity through some sort of platinum evaporation process.

I also have a block heater, but to my dismay, I won't be able to use it at home (like I had intended to)
I wanted to steal the appartment's electricity, but I guess they foresaw this and shut off the outdoor outlets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Personally I've not once needed it with my sky. She just starts like a charm every damn time, even at -30 to -40 like last night.

That being said... I then have to sit and let her idle for a while to warm up properly... maybe I SHOULD plug it in overnight...not like I have to pay for the power at my stall (apartment FTW).

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm probably overestimating. But with 2 cars plugged into the house overnight through the winter I'm sure the bills will add up.

There's a noticeable difference in how the car starts when it's plugged in. When not plugged in and below -20C the engine makes this terrible struggling sound that makes me cringe. Lots of stress on the motor with cold oil sitting at the bottom of the sump trying to make its way to the crankcase. The car also idles almost 1000 rpm higher at idle when the car is warming up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 hours before I leave, confirmed block heater made a huge difference, this week we had -15C and I saw the difference. The difference is not to start the car this is for the heat in the car, I was getting heat sooner then last year in the same conditions.
Defrost is faster also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts