2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in awhile my dash will indicate a blinking green key light after I shut off the car. I can't find anything in the owner's manual regarding this. Anyone know what this indicates?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a manual and I get that light when i press in the clutch and have the key in the car. If i get in the car and press the clutch without the key, I will get a red light instead of green. Not sure how it works for the autos.

·
DrivingDoc
74 Posts
Every once in awhile my dash will indicate a blinking green key light after I shut off the car. I can't find anything in the owner's manual regarding this. Anyone know what this indicates?
ya i have the same thing. but since the car is working fine i didn't look too much into it. it does that all the time. when u run the car and turn it off the green key lights keeps blinking. did you find a reason for it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I don't know what causes it. The car works okay, but I'm always curious about what I don't understand.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The blinking green key just means that the car can detect your key and you'd be able to start your car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blinking green key just means that the car can detect your key and you'd be able to start your car.
That's good to know, but I wonder why it's an intermittent event and not every time. I'll just accept it, life has too many greater concerns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The solid green key when you press the brake/clutch is telling you that the key is detected. The blinking green key is telling you that the battery in your key is getting low and you should replace it.

Source: I work at a Mazda dealership. I also believe it's in the manual or quick start guide.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes...exactly. A flashing green light once the car has been turned off means your battery is getting low in your remote. A flashing Red light means the batter is literally about to die...... :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
My full UK manual has the following statements:

Battery life is about one year. Replace the battery with a new one if the KEY indicator light (green) flashes in the instrument cluster. Replacing the battery about once a year is recommended because the KEY warning light/indicator light may not illuminate or flash depending on the rate of battery depletion.

When the push button start is pressed from ON to ACC or OFF, the KEY indicator light (green) may flash for
approximately 30 seconds indicating that the remaining battery power of the key is low. Replace with a new battery before the key becomes unusable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replace the battery with a 2032 instead of the 2025 that's in there. Same size around but slightly thinker with longer life. The fob still closes and works fine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Replace the battery with a 2032 instead of the 2025 that's in there. Same size around but slightly thinker with longer life. The fob still closes and works fine.
That's a good idea provided the CR2032 doesn't place extra strain on the key fob. The CR2032 is around 225 mAh and CR2025 is 163 mAh (CR2032 about 40% more battery capacity). I usually have spare CR2032 batteries for replacement motherboard batteries.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's a good idea provided the CR2032 doesn't place extra strain on the key fob. The CR2032 is around 225 mAh and CR2025 is 163 mAh (CR2032 about 40% more battery capacity). I usually have spare CR2032 batteries for replacement motherboard batteries.
I replaced mine with a CR2032. It took a little effort to squeeze it in, but it does fit without any damage to the fob casing or electronics. My original CR2025 lasted 2 years, so I'm hoping for 3 years from the CR2032.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I replaced mine with a CR2032. It took a little effort to squeeze it in, but it does fit without any damage to the fob casing or electronics. My original CR2025 lasted 2 years, so I'm hoping for 3 years from the CR2032.
and what basis are we basing the statement that a different cell will last longer than another? they are both 3v cells so they both have the exact same energy potential. the only way one could last longer than the other is through random fluke or if one actually has a higher amperage rating than the other and you put that one in the fob. but since i have never seen watch cell batteries have published ampere ratings you are basically guessing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
and what basis are we basing the statement that a different cell will last longer than another? they are both 3v cells so they both have the exact same energy potential. the only way one could last longer than the other is through random fluke or if one actually has a higher amperage rating than the other and you put that one in the fob. but since i have never seen watch cell batteries have published ampere ratings you are basically guessing.
Your skepticism is understandable. Many people are known to just spout off nonsense on the internet without facts to back them up. I, however, am not one of those people. Please allow me to explain the logic behind my statements.

I am basing my statement that one cell will last longer than the other on published specifications for the two cells.

The CR2025 and CR2032 are button cell batteries with identical chemistry. And as you stated, they are both 3V cells. However, the CR2032 is thicker and therefore has a higher capacity at the same voltage. Interestingly, these batteries were very logically named based on their lithium chemistry (CR) and their sizes. The first two digits denote the diameter of the battery, and the second two digits denote the thickness. For example:

The "20" part of CR2025 means that the battery is 2.0cm wide. The "25" part of CR2025 means that the battery is 2.5mm thick. Carrying this logic to the CR2032, we can see that this battery is 2.0cm wide and 3.2mm thick. As I noted above, this is thicker than the CR2025.

As for your question about capacity and whether or not I am guessing or this is some random fluke, there are indeed published capacities for these batteries. The CR2025 has a typical capacity of 160mAh, whereas the CR2032 (being larger) has a typical capacity of 225mAh. Dividing 225 by 160 yields 1.40625. To obtain an estimate of battery life from the CR2032, I multiplied the battery life of the CR2025 by 1.40625.

24 months X 1.40625 = 33.75 months. This is slightly less than 3 years. I rounded up a bit, so perhaps my estimate is a bit optimistic. But no, I'm not just guessing.

All of the above information is available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes#Button_cells_-_coin,_watch

You may confirm my statements at the above web address, or through Google searches and manufacturer spec sheets. I hope that this has been educational and that your skepticism has been satisfied.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can do that? I tried that a while ago because I had some spare 2032s on hand and didn't realize the fob used a 2025, and it didn't fit. Maybe I should try again. Did you leave out the black round cap when you used the thicker battery?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Battery capacity is measured in Ampere hours (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere_hour)

The capacity is dictated by the battery chemistry and mass of the electrode materials and electrolyte. I looked up and posted some example battery capacity figures for the CR2025 & Cr2032 in Post 13 above.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Battery capacity is measured in Ampere hours (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere_hour)

The capacity is dictated by the battery chemistry and mass of the electrode materials and electrolyte. I looked up and posted some example battery capacity figures for the CR2025 & Cr2032 in Post 13 above.
did not see that post, never seen published data for watch cell batteries

1 - 20 of 23 Posts