2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got back from dealer and they pointed out a black plastic plug (about 2 inch diameter) was missing in the frame of the car body (I had noticed but didn’t think it was an issue - just assumed it was something to do with manufacture).

Apparently it’s a safety feature and a corresponding peg on the bottom of the rear door itself goes into the hole and in an accident it locks into itself to help stop the door being pushed into the passenger compartment.

Anyone heard of this before...it’s first I’ve heard of it but sounds like a good safety feature.

Also anyone have a spare plug as apparently it only comes with a new rear quarter panel ?

Cheers

Geoffers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all,

Just got back from dealer and they pointed out a black plastic plug (about 2 inch diameter) was missing in the frame of the car body (I had noticed but didn’t think it was an issue - just assumed it was something to do with manufacture).

Apparently it’s a safety feature and a corresponding peg on the bottom of the rear door itself goes into the hole and in an accident it locks into itself to help stop the door being pushed into the passenger compartment.

Anyone heard of this before...it’s first I’ve heard of it but sounds like a good safety feature.

Also anyone have a spare plug as apparently it only comes with a new rear quarter panel ?

Cheers

Geoffers
I haven't heard of it, but a picture could help people know what you're talking about

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers

Geoffers
That missing plug will help keep the internal body from rust. The bolt reduces the chance of the door popping off/inwards in a collision.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all,

Cheers

Geoffers
That missing plug will help keep the internal body from rust. The bolt reduces the chance of the door popping off/inwards in a collision.
Thanks MrBen,

Managed to get a new plastic cap over the holidays and no more hole into the cill ?

Geoffers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Can you give me information on where did you get that part from?
I have the same issue lost one on my car, can't find it, i live in uk though... Any Advice
Cheers

Hi all,

Geoffers

·
Registered
655 Posts
My parts guy in the Vancouver BC Canada metro area indicates it's separately available. Mazda Canada. Mind you, that's the one for my '17 Mazda6...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Measure plastic plug bore diameter and depth (from the other side of the car where presumably you have an intact / in-place plug) and I'll check the dimensions of same on my car to advise cross-reference equivalence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its about 2 inches round black.
I think those are same on all mazda 6 or 3 after 2013.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts