2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put 215/55-18 on a Mazda 3 Hatch GT? Do they fit? I am sick of the hard crunch and loud bang going over pot holes. Please excuse if discussed before. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
323 Posts
Has anyone put 215/55-18 on a Mazda 3 Hatch GT? Do they fit? I am sick of the hard crunch and loud bang going over pot holes. Please excuse if discussed before. Thanks
Those will absolutely not fit...too big..they're 7% higher diameter and will throw your speedo way off. Try this tire calculator: Tire Size Comparison

I'd recommend trying 225/45R18 like I have on my car, which give you a smidge more sidewall, or if you're willing to invest in new wheels, trying 17 inch wheels with perhaps 225/50R17.

I agree, the previous generation doesn't do great over potholes. You're best off with either 17 or even 16 inch wheels if you live in an area with terrible roads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those will absolutely not fit...too big..they're 7% higher diameter and will throw your speedo way off. Try this tire calculator: Tire Size Comparison

I'd recommend trying 225/45R18 like I have on my car, which give you a smidge more sidewall, or if you're willing to invest in new wheels, trying 17 inch wheels with perhaps 225/50R17.

I agree, the previous generation doesn't do great over potholes. You're best off with either 17 or even 16 inch wheels if you live in an area with terrible roads.
Hi brassrox, thank you very much for your excellent reply/advice. That is exactly what Oscar at TireRack advised. So, if you would do it over, would you go for the 17' or stay with your 225/45R18? I have225/45ZR18 not sure what the Z means. Would you consider 215/50R17 or 215/55R17? Do you think they would look odd? Would these sizes mess with the speedo? Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi brassrox, thank you very much for your excellent reply/advice. That is exactly what Oscar at TireRack advised. So, if you would do it over, would you go for the 17' or stay with your 225/45R18? I have225/45ZR18 not sure what the Z means. Would you consider 215/50R17 or 215/55R17? Do you think they would look odd? Would these sizes mess with the speedo? Thanks again.
After another round with tire rack I'm considering 215/50r-17 or 205/55-17. LMKWYT? Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
323 Posts
After another round with tire rack I'm considering 215/50r-17 or 205/55-17. LMKWYT? Thanks
Use that tire calculator in my first post to find a size closer to stock. I'd def not go 205 width - way too narrow. I'd consider 215 at a minimum and consider 225.

My car has been in FL since December, where the roads are glass smooth, so I can't speak to how much of an improvement the tires are over potholes, but they're a definite improvement over smaller sharper bumps. If I find that these are still too brutal over potholes, I will prob size down to 225/50R17.

The Z is a reference to the speed rating of the tire. Z is considered high performance (over 149 mph) and is likely overkill for your car.

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
Tire size should go hand in hand with rim size. When changing tire widths you need to keep the width of the rim in mind. Rim width plays a big part in how a tire performs. If you are looking for a better ride and much better impact resistance a set of 16x7 rims with 215/60s will make a big difference. Wider is not better, you aren't driving a race car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What is the tire under consideration?
With sticky tires, you can often stick with OEM width and still get a substantial uptick on road grip.

Or, if you don't care about MPG's go wider, WITH taller sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
With sticky tires, you can often stick with OEM width and still get a substantial uptick on road grip.

Just in case you didn't read the thread, the question is not about sticky wide tires or anything related to high performance tires at all. Its a question of finding tires that will not be so harsh on bumpy roads with potholes.....and going from 18" rims to 16 or 17 to increase sidewall height in order to get there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just in case you didn't read the thread, the question is not about sticky wide tires or anything related to high performance tires at all. Its a question of finding tires that will not be so harsh on bumpy roads with potholes.....and going from 18" rims to 16 or 17 to increase sidewall height in order to get there.
I'm trying to decide between 215/50r-17 or 205/55r-17. I think they are very close but the deciding factor is escaping me?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use that tire calculator in my first post to find a size closer to stock. I'd def not go 205 width - way too narrow. I'd consider 215 at a minimum and consider 225.

My car has been in FL since December, where the roads are glass smooth, so I can't speak to how much of an improvement the tires are over potholes, but they're a definite improvement over smaller sharper bumps. If I find that these are still too brutal over potholes, I will prob size down to 225/50R17.

The Z is a reference to the speed rating of the tire. Z is considered high performance (over 149 mph) and is likely overkill for your car.
Ok then maybe 215/50R-17 is the way to go. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Michelin Crossclimate2 contemplating between 215/50R17 or 205/55R17 Mazda 3 Hatch sGT, looking for a more comfortable ride on potholes but maintaining some sportiness. Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes I understand, to clarify, the model of tire makes a lot of difference for road compliance. I would suggest that it is as important as the tire size selection.
From order of terrible to more compliance:
  • anything runflat will suck
  • then summer only tires with stiffer sidewalls for performance
  • then all seasons / low rolling resistance etc
Michelin Crossclimate2 contemplating between 215/50R17 or 205/55R17 Mazda 3 Hatch sGT, looking for a more comfortable ride on potholes but maintaining some sportiness. Thanks
That's a relatively new tire, but it tests well for comfort. Just about anything will be better than the OEM dunlops (just a guess) in 18's, this one is a great choice.
But if you're willing to trade some sportiness with absolute comfort in this type of all season tire (Tire rack calls it grand touring all season)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II is a notch above for road compliance:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I understand, to clarify, the model of tire makes a lot of difference for road compliance. I would suggest that it is as important as the tire size selection.
From order of terrible to more compliance:
  • anything runflat will suck
  • then summer only tires with stiffer sidewalls for performance
  • then all seasons / low rolling resistance etc

That's a relatively new tire, but it tests well for comfort. Just about anything will be better than the OEM dunlops (just a guess) in 18's, this one is a great choice.
But if you're willing to trade some sportiness with absolute comfort in this type of all season tire (Tire rack calls it grand touring all season)
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II is a notch above for road compliance:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261
You can fit 215/55/17 for a similar speedo result (about 1.5% extra) if you are prepared to go to 17".
I bought some 17" rims and fitted 215s - wanted Bridgestone serenity plus but the tyre guy reminded me that the ride would suffer as they had a stiffer sidewall than the orig 89 Toyos - Good advice - went with 94v (lowest Bridgestone) and very happy. # Kept the low profile look # better ride after they softened up # No squish due to 94v. # If you buy a tyre with 89v all the better -Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently faced the same dilema, went with 225/50r17 on 17x7.5 and it's a good setup. I think 215/50r17 might have been better for mpg, and aesthetics. 225/50 is a popular size. 215/50 or 215/55 are less common in 17". My current tires Michelin pilot sport AS4 do have a rounder sidewall look than I was going for. Tire choice will matter a lot for ride quality. IIRC the tire shop rep said michelin primacy would be slightly better ride but you give up a lot of traction to the AS4 and road noise was comparable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
225/45/18 is the size you want for this. It's really about the largest tire you can put on it stock. You'll need suspension spacers to go any bigger and even that size makes a world of difference vs the stock 215/45/18

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you end up going with? I am in the same situation looking for a more comfortable ride over the stock 215 45 series tires. I do want to keep my MPGs high though so I was thinking of a 215 50-17 or 55 series 17.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts