2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just did the Big 3 upgrade on my car, and I was wondering what size fuse I should use between my battery+ and alternator+.

Thanks

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
at least 100amps what gauge wire did you use? google big 3 upgrade wire gauge amp rating and it will tell you a lot about that

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used 0 gauge wire. Doesn't the amperage of the stock alternator determine the size of the fuse? So I'm still unclear on the answer.

Also, do I really need one? How come big 3 kits don't come with fuse holders?

Thanks

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
I used 0 gauge wire. Doesn't the amperage of the stock alternator determine the size of the fuse? So I'm still unclear on the answer.

Also, do I really need one? How come big 3 kits don't come with fuse holders?

Thanks
usually to save costs they don't, and yes the amperage of the alternator is a determining factor, the mazda 3 charging system will never have enough power to over power 0 gauge wire it simply just cannot make that much power a 150-175 amp fuse should be just fine for your needs, the fuse between the battery and the alternator is also not a 100% necessity, its a safe guard. the alternator on the 2.0 and 2.5 non skyactivs are 100 amps and under

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Glad to help, the fuse is mainly your friend in a wreck or if the wire were to work loose and touch ground and short out the fuse would blow and prevent arching and sparks or worse yet a fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts