2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are the real deal! Anyone concerned about night time driving saftey should look into these. You will have to open up your headlights to replace the projectors, the ballasts and bulbs are oem quality. No more flickering, returning bad ballasts, off color or other issues with other cheap HID replacement bulbs.

Flipping on the high beam.

Any questions contact me. The prices are going to be,
Normal price: $300
5+ buyers: $275 shipped
10+ buyers: $250 shipped
15+ buyers: $225 shipped

Those are amazing prices for REAL Bi-Xenon HID's. Dont miss out on this group buy because I dont know when they will be able to do another. Payment arrangements will be made during this thread, stay tuned. :yes:

So here is the start of the list...

1. Dunston
2. fgpalmer71
3. carmagnut

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am very interested in this upgrade, however i am curious about how much work is required to install these. Does the existing projector housing just unbolt from the headlight assembly? will i need to remove the lens to complete the install? If this is something that can be accomplished without having to crack open the lights i am in.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am very interested in this upgrade, however i am curious about how much work is required to install these. Does the existing projector housing just unbolt from the headlight assembly? will i need to remove the lens to complete the install? If this is something that can be accomplished without having to crack open the lights i am in.
+1.
Also, i'm assuming this kit comes with everything you need because it's that expensive. I looked into prices on the DDM tuning HIDs and they were only like $50.. is this cause those were just bulbs and this kit has everything?

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
+1.
Also, i'm assuming this kit comes with everything you need because it's that expensive. I looked into prices on the DDM tuning HIDs and they were only like $50.. is this cause those were just bulbs and this kit has everything?
Yes it is a retrofit kit with proper projector lenses for HID bulbs. The Halogen and HID lenses are different and I'd assume the ballasts and bulbs are higher quality as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes it is a retrofit kit with proper projector lenses for HID bulbs. The Halogen and HID lenses are different and I'd assume the ballasts and bulbs are higher quality as well.
so for someone with halogen lights one of these kits is a must? i see you have the DDMs, is this cause you got the GT that already came with the HID setup and all you bought was the new bulbs?

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
No i'm using the halogen projectors as do most people. I wish I had the GT but alas I do not. If I did then there is no point in the retrofit. The difference between the HID and Halogen projectors how the light is projected and the cut off. There is also supposed to be an auto leveling mechanisim with true HIDs which the halogens do not have that way you do not blind someone if your trunk is loaded. The GT have Bi-xenons with the shutter which these replicate by using a relay off of the high beam connector to activate the shutter essentially removing the cutoff. This is supposed to replicate it but I do not know if they have a leveling function built in.

If they do not have a leveling function then they are just better projectors with better bulbs and ballasts than the ddm kit that require you to use heat to open your housing to remove the projectors already inside. In order to level the cutoff you will still have to use the adjustment screw. It is a neat item which I would buy just to have high and low beams a single unit with a single bulb to replace and the same color and it gives me the ability to paint the orange reflector and chrome any color I want.

·
Registered
282 Posts
alright i think i got it now. you have to open the lights to install the DDMs? i read in another thread about these that you have to open em. doesnt that lead to moisture getting in the housings? I'll have to look into it more before i decide which way i wanna go, DDM or somethin like this. idk if a little better light is worth the extra $200. thanks for the help.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do not have to open up the headlights to install the DDM hid kit. This kit does require opening up the headlights and replacing the halogen projector with a bi-xenon projector. The new projector will give you better, more even light output and the quality of the bulbs and ballasts are better then DDM's. Lots of people have paid almost $200 for just bulbs and ballasts because they think they are better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You do not have to open up the headlights to install the DDM hid kit. This kit does require opening up the headlights and replacing the halogen projector with a bi-xenon projector. The new projector will give you better, more even light output and the quality of the bulbs and ballasts are better then DDM's. Lots of people have paid almost $200 for just bulbs and ballasts because they think they are better.
gotcha. I read your other thread about these and baking the lights sounds a bit too much for me :001_unsure:

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The alternate method is to use a heat gun and as the adhesive softens you pry them apart gently.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is also supposed to be an auto leveling mechanisim with true HIDs which the halogens do not have that way you do not blind someone if your trunk is loaded.
Are you sure? I thought that what makes the projectors, HID projectors, is the projector housing with the cutoff to prevent blinding people, not the auto-leveling feature.

Edit: ok the self-leveling is a requirement to have in europe but not america.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The alternate method is to use a heat gun and as the adhesive softens you pry them apart gently.
oh okay. what do you use to put the lights back together afterwards?

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
282 Posts
You heat the glue back up and clamp it back together.
oh alright. there are actual clamps on em? that doesn't seem too bad. I'll think about it. I'm guessing PM is private message? new guy here.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Are you sure? I thought that what makes the projectors, HID projectors, is the projector housing with the cutoff to prevent blinding people, not the auto-leveling feature.

Edit: ok the self-leveling is a requirement to have in europe but not america.
Well, even with the cutoff if they do not have a leveling function and you load your trunk the front of the car rises and makes the cutoff angle upwards which will piss people off.

I need to save money. I just bought a Hanwei katana and am a little broke right now.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, even with the cutoff if they do not have a leveling function and you load your trunk the front of the car rises and makes the cutoff angle upwards which will piss people off.

I need to save money. I just bought a Hanwei katana and am a little broke right now.
If you load your trunk with your stock lights will do the exact same thing as the standard halogen lights. You would have to really load up the rear to where the lights would be blinding oncoming traffic. I had 4 5gal jugs of paint and some other misc heavy items in my trunk and did not have any issues.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
oh okay. what do you use to put the lights back together afterwards?
I used these spring clamps to put pressure on the two halves while I heated the edges to sink them back together with the heat gun. As a precaution againt moisture intrusion I used clear silicone around the edges of the lights. 8 months now and no issues.

Attachments

·
Flying M vet
41 Posts
I have retroed HID's in my 6 and when I hop into my new 3 after driving it the headlights scare the crap out of me!! They suck. I am subscribing to this and will definitely be interested if the price comes down. Only had the car for 3 days and have been seriously thinking of trying to replace the projectors in the 3 with the ones from my 6. This GB would save me the trouble of buying new headlights for the 6 after dissasembling them to retro the 3!

For those of you on the fence the difference between real HID's and the HID kit using your stock halogen lenses is astonishing!! I had the DDM slim line kit, 5000k in the 6 before I got the retroed headlights (infiniti FX35 projectors with Acura TSX lenses and the Osram 4300k bulbs and ballasts). I have pics somewhere, maybe on the 6 site. I'll try to find and post them. Literally night and day difference!!

·
Flying M vet
41 Posts
Question for the OP......is there anyway I can get them without the actual bulbs and ballasts? In other words I would just want the projectors and the lenses. I see a very noticeable "hot spot" directly in the center of the light pattern on the 2nd pic of the actual light output in the OP. The light should be evenly distributed throughout and I think its like that because of the quality of the bulb and or ballast. Either that or the lense.

EDIT: Nevermind. Put me down for a set please. Just got off the phone with Matt from The Retro Fit Source and he answered all my questions. I may not take the bulbs and ballasts though, not sure. Matt says if I just want the package sans bulbs he will discount my price accordingly. Looks like I have a little time to decide on that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.