2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thanksgiving day, November 2019, we drove to visit family on a 144 mile trip in each direction. The route consisted of Interstate, limited-access freeway and 2-lane country highway driving providing an excellent venue to check my car's performance. Sadly, performance had noticeably declined and was most evident in rather sluggish acceleration. Since I had recently changed my sparkplugs, I assumed that the problem could be due to dirty fuel injectors. Off I went to my local, friendly Mazda dealer (not being facetious, the dealer is both local and friendly) and consulted with a service advisor who agreed that the fuel injectors should be checked. Lo and behold, it turned out that they needed service. My dealer uses the BG Fuel/Air Induction service. This process removes carbon deposits from fuel injectors, intake valves and ports. As many of you know, this is a particular problem with direct injection engines.

Cost for the service was $89.90 for the cleaner and $125 for labor resulting in a total charge of $214.90 (excluding state theft).

As a result, full performance was restored and the blazing acceleration that I know and love came back in all its glory. There is nothing finer on a 2-lane country highway than pulling out into the opposing lane and blasting past a startled driver chugging along in a lesser vehicle and barreling past him down the road. For those of us who don't track, nothing else makes you feel more like a boy racer than executing this maneuver.

For those of you experiencing a performance decrement, I highly recommend that you check the condition of your sparkplugs and fuel injectors and take appropriate action if necessary.

Oh, and if you find this information useful you need not thank me as virtue is its own reward.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Eh, i tried BG on two cars didn't see a difference. And the labor you were charged seems pretty high.

From what I read researching user experiences in car forums before I bought my Mazda, Mazda has very little issue with the carbon build up and some cars have excessive build up.

Some manufacturer make, or likely rebrand, their own products for this purpose. Not sure if it means anything in either direction that Mazda does not. I tend to think a dealer selling this type of generic/universal treatment might be trying to push a high profit service.

Next time you feel you need it, look up a few videos on the stuff. It is very easy to do at home.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, i tried BG on two cars didn't see a difference. And the labor you were charged seems pretty high.

From what I read researching user experiences in car forums before I bought my Mazda, Mazda has very little issue with the carbon build up and some cars have excessive build up.

Some manufacturer make, or likely rebrand, their own products for this purpose. Not sure if it means anything in either direction that Mazda does not. I tend to think a dealer selling this type of generic/universal treatment might be trying to push a high profit service.

Next time you feel you need it, look up a few videos on the stuff. It is very easy to do at home.
Thanks for the information. Next time, if need be, I'll certainly look into a DIY solution. The price I paid may have been high but the performance was restored so I felt it was worth it. Live and learn, as they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts