2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i've been reading around lately on how to get better throttle response and it seems there are a couple ways. Changing the air filter, adding in a SRI or tuning the ecu. It seems like the air filter would be the easiest to do but i'm wondering how much different it is. Is it worth the price and for those with any of these do you feel a noticeable increase in throttle response? Or should i go for a SRI/tune. It just feels like when I step on the gas it doesn't really move. Maybe i'm expecting too much though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
First thing I do on all my cars is to change the air filter. I don't expect any power gain or even any mpg improvement but I mainly get it for the better throttle response it gives. I got the JBR air filter for my mz3 and the car feels lighter to the touch compared to with the oem air filter. I mean when you step on the gas, the car goes easier and not feel as heavy or hesitant to go.

On my previous car, the dealer actually replaced the k&n filter with an oem one when I went in for an oil change. For a while I felt like the car didn't drive as nice or smoothly so I thought I needed to clean the filter. Found out it was replaced so I had to get another one lol I now use the included sticker warning not to dispose filter :D

From past experience, having an sri/cai it felt like my car lost some low end torque while I gained some high end power. Since I'm not looking for more sound or wanting to lose any low end I just changed out the air filter to a more high flow one. But yeah, with an air filter just don't expect to gain any power other than the improved throttle response. I guess having better throttle response might feel like you've gained power because the car feels like it's livelier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i'm not really thinking a air filter is going to give me any more power. I might as well try it the since the JBR is only $50ish if it ends up making a noticable difference than it will be worth it, if not then not too big of a loss. Do you know what the difference between an oiled and dry filter is? Or if one is better than the other? I just know you dont have to reoil the dry filters but not sure of any other benefits.

I'll probably stay away from SRI for now since I don't really want to lose any low end power for a few ponies in the higher end. I might do a tune later down the road when dynotronics releases it for the 2014. I hear that they can map the ecu to change throttle responsivness a lot among other things. That will probably be where I look to get some more power.

Any other ways that are pretty cost effective/easy to do at improving throttle response and maybe improving the sound a bit?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The JBR filter did give a bit more growl to it especially at WOT. I got the k&n filter for the mz3 before the JBR one was available and I chose the JBR one because I don't need to oil it. I think that's the only difference, just don't want any oil getting on the MAF messing it up or cause problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i'll probably go with the JBR one. So you only need one for the life of the car and you can just wash it with some water and dry it and its good to go? How often do you clean yours?

Also i see in your sig that you have the RSB. How much better has that made the ride quality? Worth it?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah i'll probably go with the JBR one. So you only need one for the life of the car and you can just wash it with some water and dry it and its good to go? How often do you clean yours?

Also i see in your sig that you have the RSB. How much better has that made the ride quality? Worth it?
Yeah just wash and air dry the filter and that's it.

As for the RSB, car handles better and more stable at highway speeds. Good investment for this car :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah just wash and air dry the filter and that's it.

As for the RSB, car handles better and more stable at highway speeds. Good investment for this car :)
How easy was it to install? Did you do it yourself or bring it to a shop?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that my throttle response took somewhat of a dip when I traded in my 2008 Mazda 3 s for the 2014 Mazda 3 s GT. I thought by going from the 2.3 to the 2.5, I would not see any drop off in that dept but unfortunately the drop off in throttle response is quite noticeable. I am kind of disappointed in the overal power of the engine in general. I think the only advantage I am noticing power wise from the 2.5 is at highway speeds where it does seem a little stronger. I should also mention that the mpg is significantly better than the 2.3 despite having "more power".

·
Registered
583 Posts
The JBR filter did give a bit more growl to it especially at WOT. I got the k&n filter for the mz3 before the JBR one was available and I chose the JBR one because I don't need to oil it. I think that's the only difference, just don't want any oil getting on the MAF messing it up or cause problems.
Any oil on the MAF is from over oiling the K&N. Yes, it does require more work servicing but when you look at only doing it once a year or longer not a big deal considering that it does a better job filtering.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Had a shop do the install for me. If you're handy you can probably do it yourself as it didn't look as difficult as I thought when watching them do it lol

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Any oil on the MAF is from over oiling the K&N. Yes, it does require more work servicing but when you look at only doing it once a year or longer not a big deal considering that it does a better job filtering.
Yeah, honestly I've never thoroughly cleaned mine or re oiled it on my previous car, I just washed and air dry it. Knowing me, I don't want to risk over oiling it lol Probably not a hard task but when I re oiled it on my maxima I might have put too much and got some on the MAF. Car jerks when coming to a stop and other issues lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much better of a job does it do really? If better throttle response is the main thing im looking for how much better of a job will the K&N one do over JBR?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
honestly it's all butt dyno
there is no way it will make any significant difference by just changing air filter.
Ok. I'll probably get it just for the fact that I don't have to get any other ones down the road. If it gives me some sort of noticeable difference then that will just be an added bonus

·
Registered
583 Posts
how much better of a job does it do really? If better throttle response is the main thing im looking for how much better of a job will the K&N one do over JBR?
As per my #11 posting , I still maintain that an oiled filter does a better job filtering the air as the oil attracts dust l" like a magnet" . as for throttle response , I think it's only in ones head ( or butt , as someone put it , lol) . As for milage or power don't think that will be affected much. This is from my experience with k&n in my last 4 vehicles.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I'd seriously hope you could install a new air filter. It should come with instructions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts