2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for some opinions and experiences with any car care products you all use. Whether it be soap, wax, cleaners, protectants, etc... What to use. What not to use. Right now the only products I am using are turtle ice wax, armor all tire shine gel, and aerospace 303 protectant. I am looking for a good car wash soap and brush/mit. I am thinking about trying armor all wheel protectant which helps keep rims clean from brake dust.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I'll just give a quick review on the products I currently use:

For interior cleaner I'm using Turtle Wax Ice and its nice because it leaves a satin finish and the smell is not overpowering, yet lasts a long time.
For soap I'm using Chemical Guys Mr. Pink and its great!
For Wax I'm using Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. It provides great water beading and longevity, but the shine is average. I also wax my wheels to rinse of brake dust eaier.
I stopped using tire shine and instead just scrub my tires clean, I'm not a fan of the wet look, but NoTouch used to be my go to.

Armour All interior cleaner and protectant are two of the worst products I've used. Too greasy and attract dust quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aerospace 303 on interior vinyl and tires. Meguiar's Gold Class. I've been using that combo on my cars since 2003.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Meguiars natural shine protectant is a good one for the interior that isn't greasy and leaves a nice satin finish.

Optimum optibond tire gel is great if you just want your tires to look black and clean like new not super shiny/greasy. It's also water based so it won't turn your tires brown like silicone based products.

If you really want to protect your paint I highly recommend the klasse all in one and sealant glaze combo. It seriously can last up to 6 months and you can even put wax on top of it to make it look even better than it does on its own.

Optimum no rinse wash and wax is also great if you have water restrictions or just want to do a quick wash instead of a full blown wash

That's some of what I use and I hope it helps

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use the Meguiar's Gold Class soap and Gold Class carnauba plus paste wax. Works pretty well for me. I stay away from the tire shine stuff, because it's just too messy. Not to mention living here in Arizona, if your tires are oily when a dust storm rolls through, it just looks horrible. Not to mention you'll know if you used too much because of the "mud spots" on the car behind the tires.

Over all, the Armour All cleaner is just too oily, so I think it's the worst stuff you could use in your car (unless you've been using Comet powdered sink cleaner on your car). Plus with the Arizona heat, that oil evaporates and fogs up your windshield in just a day or too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Optimum No Rinse wash, fantastic stuff, sounds scary, works great.
Couple of buckets with grit screens and grout sponges, plus a long brush for getting the wheel barrels.
Clay Magic clay, usually just the light stuff, but have medium around when needed.
Stoner tar remover (invaluable on a white car).
Menzerna polishes, usually just IP and FF with a Porter Cable.
Optimum Opti Coat sealant, near permanent.
Topped with Dodo Juice wax just to knock down a little of the artificial shine of Opti Coat.
303 on the inside and tires.
303 interior cleaner is great for spot cleanups on the carpet and seats.
Leatherique for leather seats, but the 3's seats just get 303 as they're waxed to a plastic finish and don't need any leather treatment.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
Turtle Wax products, both the wax itself and the car wash solution which is supposed to add a little wax too.
If you are interested, I would recommend trying a soap without wax. From my experience any soap that contains wax doesn't do a good job at actually cleaning the surface because water and wax don't mix well. I used the same soap as you a couple years back and then used Meguiar's Gold Class (which I think is the best big-box brand soap) and it did a much better job at cleaning the car and left a shinier surface.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's my process:
1) Meguiars Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner
2) Pre-soak car using a foam sprayer (Girots Garage has one for about $40)
3) Wash Car - Two bucket method. I've used both Chemical Guys Mr. Pink and Meguiars Gold Class Wash - no complaints on either.
4) Chamois Towel Dry
5) Pinnacle Clay Bar
6) Poorboys World Polish with Sealant
7) Poorboys World Natty's Paste Wax as a topper
8 ) Poorboys World Bold and Bright Tire Gel (for the black/wet look on the tires)
9) Meguiars Protectant for Dashboard and interior

Pictures Below

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
My brother recommended Zymol for wax -apparently especially for black cars, so i picked up some, have not used it yet. Here's a pic of some results from it.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be aware that there are a number of Zymols. The one available in Target/WalMart is made by TurtleWax and nothing special. The Zymol produced waxes are pretty good, the basic ones are fairly durable and easy to work with but the more expensive ones are meant to be car show waxes and will not hold up to much. Figure a few months for the basic ones and a week or two for the others. There are all kinds of carnauba based waxes that I'd recommend over Zymol, especially as a top coat over a synthetic wax/sealant. P21s is easier to work with and Collinite is easier and more durable. Dodo Juice waxes are available as a synthetic mix and have a nice, deep carnauba shine but better durability. Just know that in summer heat, carnauba wax durability can be measured in days, if not hours, it flashes off pretty quickly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll just give a quick review on the products I currently use:

For interior cleaner I'm using Turtle Wax Ice and its nice because it leaves a satin finish and the smell is not overpowering, yet lasts a long time.
For soap I'm using Chemical Guys Mr. Pink and its great!
For Wax I'm using Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. It provides great water beading and longevity, but the shine is average. I also wax my wheels to rinse of brake dust eaier.
I stopped using tire shine and instead just scrub my tires clean, I'm not a fan of the wet look, but NoTouch used to be my go to.

Armour All interior cleaner and protectant are two of the worst products I've used. Too greasy and attract dust quickly.
Also vouch for mr. Pink!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Be aware that there are a number of Zymols. The one available in Target/WalMart is made by TurtleWax and nothing special. The Zymol produced waxes are pretty good, the basic ones are fairly durable and easy to work with but the more expensive ones are meant to be car show waxes and will not hold up to much. Figure a few months for the basic ones and a week or two for the others. There are all kinds of carnauba based waxes that I'd recommend over Zymol, especially as a top coat over a synthetic wax/sealant. P21s is easier to work with and Collinite is easier and more durable. Dodo Juice waxes are available as a synthetic mix and have a nice, deep carnauba shine but better durability. Just know that in summer heat, carnauba wax durability can be measured in days, if not hours, it flashes off pretty quickly.
Good info thank you sir. The stuff i picked up is a cleaner/wax,
. After reading the reviews it sounded like about what i was after so with the recommendation as well, I went for it.

Mainly interested in protection (so far as wax can provide) and not spending hours trying to get the stuff off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good info thank you sir. The stuff i picked up is a cleaner/wax, off amazon. After reading the reviews it sounded like about what i was after so with the recommendation as well, I went for it.

Mainly interested in protection (so far as wax can provide) and not spending hours trying to get the stuff off.
Cleaner wax?! The humanity! :surprise:

You should really use an iron reducing wash, clay, three or four different polishes, a glaze, a sealant and a wax, with some quality quick detailing in between most of those steps. Don't forget to polish the exhaust tips, headlights and tail lights and use some spray wax on the door sills and engine bay. Maybe take a day off work, or just tell the significant other you won't be around for most of a day.

Oh wait, that's just me. All in one products are magic and let you actually see your family. Enjoy!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Cleaner wax?! The humanity! :surprise:

You should really use an iron reducing wash, clay, three or four different polishes, a glaze, a sealant and a wax, with some quality quick detailing in between most of those steps. Don't forget to polish the exhaust tips, headlights and tail lights and use some spray wax on the door sills and engine bay. Maybe take a day off work, or just tell the significant other you won't be around for most of a day.

Oh wait, that's just me. All in one products are magic and let you actually see your family. Enjoy!
LOL. I was preparing my "I'm not quite ready for that level of detailing" response as I read your post before the sarcasm detector kicked in.

"Sorry honey, gotta put the 3rd coat of polish on!" yeah that won't go over too well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use whatever is cheap from Wal-Mart. Usually Turtle Wax Wax as You Dry and whatever soap and water from the DIY coin wash down the street.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts