2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2018 M3 Touring. (By the way, I see 2014-2017 years...will there be a 2018 soon?)

I have a library of 160 GB music that I would love to have available at all times in the car. What do you guys think is the best way of carrying / storing that?

I was considering buying a 256 GB USB stick, loading it up with my music, and keeping it permanently in the car and plugged into one of the 2 USB ports. My phone only has 128 MB and I don't want to use most of the space for music.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh man, that is going to be a pain, this system does a tree rebuild each time you start the car if it has been off for more than 10 minutes. That much storage would take about 5-10 minutes before it is done indexing. Another option is using a bluetooth based android 7.0 with google play device. This allows the folder to be browsed through bluetooth by album, artist genre or playlist, you just can't see the individual album you are playing at that moment unlike a USB.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I use a 160 GB iPod Classic to store my massive music collection and connect it via the USB ports

It reads the iPod's music library and you can scroll through it by artist, album, song, etc.

Works great with no problems.
CK

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use 128 GB USB flash disk, but mostly filled with FLAC files. ~3700 files.
You have 256 GB of MP3 files? That's really a lot!

My main issue with a lot of music on 59.00.502 firmware - is constant restarting of playback from 1st track on disk with each restart of car's ignition. On this firmware version - shuffle works really shitty.

·
Registered
305 Posts
in my opinion, the best way to listen to music is to stream with spotify or another application. I only stock about 200 titles on a USB stick to have music if there is no internet access

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, thanks for the replies. Most of my music is Grateful Dead, so they tend to be larger files. Anyway. I wonder what an old iPod costs. Good use for that. Then I would be able to use playlists I suppose? There are iPod classic, nano, touch, etc.

I also have an 8 GB USB stick maybe I'll just load that up and see what it's like.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I bought a backup on ebay for $240 when Apple announced that they were DC'in it.

They really are nice little devices.
CK

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using an external 1TB HDD. Originally planned to get a bigger flash drive. Ended up going with the HDD - cheaper and larger.

SergSlim. How are you able to read flac files? AIO use to have that option. But I don't see it in the latest ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just bought a 2018 M3 Touring. (By the way, I see 2014-2017 years...will there be a 2018 soon?)

I have a library of 160 GB music that I would love to have available at all times in the car.
Dang... what's that, like 20,000 songs?

My main issue with a lot of music on 59.00.502 firmware - is constant restarting of playback from 1st track on disk with each restart of car's ignition.
I don't have that problem. I think sometimes it jumps to a different song when restarting, but it seems to always pick up on the song where it left off.
2018 M3T. 59.00.502. 32gb flash drive. .mp3's

·
Registered
13 Posts
My main issue with a lot of music on 59.00.502 firmware - is constant restarting of playback from 1st track on disk with each restart of car's ignition. On this firmware version - shuffle works really shitty.
I'm still on firmware version 33 and you're telling me on the latest version they still haven't fixed the shitty shuffle?! Good thing I didn't go insane at the dealer in my country where they don't update the firmware.

Btt: I use 2 USBs for my music because I like seeing the album covers I worked tirelessly on all my mp3s (usimg mp3Tag).
I have an Android phone meaning I can only use the Bluetooth for that unlike an iPhone that you can plug the usb and see the album art.
I also use Spotify (Bluetooth) from time-to-time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
16,491 Songs
157.84 GB

Now most of this is Grateful Dead live music (130 GB), have about 600 concerts.

Someone wrote they use a HDD in their car? How do you do that?

If Windows 2000 / XP only recognizes 32 gb total volume (FAT32), how can you put more music on something like 64 or 128 GB USB sticks?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If Windows 2000 / XP only recognizes 32 gb total volume (FAT32), how can you put more music on something like 64 or 128 GB USB sticks?
This is not true Windows will not Format drives over 32Gb as FAT32. But if you format larger drives to FAT32 using other software (search on internet) Windows will recognise it.

Hope this helps,

Andy

·
Registered
485 Posts
SergSlim. How are you able to read flac files? AIO use to have that option. But I don't see it in the latest ones.

@Phinx, there's a FLAC tweak for 59.00.502+ versions. It's not included in AIO. Trez keeps ignoring it for some reason :)

Reactions: Phinx

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh man, that is going to be a pain, this system does a tree rebuild each time you start the car if it has been off for more than 10 minutes. That much storage would take about 5-10 minutes before it is done indexing....
Dang. So that's why it takes a while... I've only got about 16gb. 15-20 seconds?

Mine does it about 1 out of 20 times. Reverts to first track with Folder Repeat ON and Shuffle OFF.

I think it's been shown that there is not a real shuffle, but a fixed sequence. When mine defaults to the first track, the sequence of following songs is always the same. Pretty lame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to add... Samsung makes a USB flash drive called the FIT that is very compact and fits well inside our console

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
SanDisk makes something similar that is a little cheaper. See below link.

CK

Reactions: smgarcia

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought this off Amazon, costs $8.99. Because this is staying in my car, just got USB 2.0 (didn't felt I needed 3.0).

This is what it looks like in my car. Can barely see it!

Well..I can't yet post images. Will do shortly!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought this off Amazon, costs $8.99. Because this is staying in my car, just got USB 2.0 (didn't felt I needed 3.0).

This is what it looks like in my car. Can barely see it!

Well..I can't yet post images. Will do shortly!!!
Also have Cruzer Fit, but 128 GB.
Though my USB ports are inside of elbow-rest, but still it's nice that flash disk is so small.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also have Cruzer Fit, but 128 GB.
Though my USB ports are inside of elbow-rest, but still it's nice that flash disk is so small.
So I've noticed just with my 32 GB that there is lag/seek time navigating the folder system. It says "Loading..." and then 3-5 seconds later it lists all the artists, etc.

Do you notice that as well with your 128 GB music list too?

I figured out how to do playlists too. It's easy and I think, if I have the time, could make a very easy to follow post on that (especially for the tech neophytes out there).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts