2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue that is common in new cars, the interior outgasses in the summer heat, and deposits a film on the inside of the windows, that make them fog up easily especially on cool mornings.

I've been cleaning the inside of my windshield like twice a week, and I can never seem to get rid of all of it. It's hard to see except when it causes the window to fog up in the morning, which makes it difficult to know if any still remains after cleaning. Windex seems to just spread it around. Using the defroster gets rid of the fog, but that wastes gas since it runs the A/C. I'd like to get the [email protected] stuff off my windshield so it stays clear for more than 1 day.

Last night I tried rubbing alcohol, distilled water, and clean towels and it was better this morning but still not perfect. I can see spots where it didn't all come off. Maybe I should clean the windshield in the morning, but I don't have time since I have to work and I have a longish commute.

Any suggestions on what will get rid of the film?

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is an issue that is common in new cars, the interior outgasses in the summer heat, and deposits a film on the inside of the windows, that make them fog up easily especially on cool mornings.

I've been cleaning the inside of my windshield like twice a week, and I can never seem to get rid of all of it. It's hard to see except when it causes the window to fog up in the morning, which makes it difficult to know if any still remains after cleaning. Windex seems to just spread it around. Using the defroster gets rid of the fog, but that wastes gas since it runs the A/C. I'd like to get the [email protected] stuff off my windshield so it stays clear for more than 1 day.

Last night I tried rubbing alcohol, distilled water, and clean towels and it was better this morning but still not perfect. I can see spots where it didn't all come off. Maybe I should clean the windshield in the morning, but I don't have time since I have to work and I have a longish commute.

Any suggestions on what will get rid of the film?
I had the same issue and I highly recommend invisible glass.

Can be found at most auto stores for 5 bucks. they also make a version with water repellent for exterior use also.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have noticed the same issue on my '13 when im driving late at night when it has cooled down considerably the bottom half of my windshield fogs up like crazy even with the windows down which is how i prefer to ride. only way to get rid of it is to crank the defroster up on max. I have never had this issue on any previous car though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Same issue here. It's twice as bad on the rearview glass I just had replaced. Feels like i have to turn on the defroster every single night! Definitely wasn't like that before

I'm looking into the invisible glass - does the spray bottle work better than the aerosol can or vice versa?

·
Registered
23 Posts
After wiping down the surface with your favorite glass cleaner and completely drying the surface, use a dry paper towel and continue to rub the surface clear. Rub the glass until you feel a consistent drag along the entire surface. This has worked well for me. Crystal clear windows inside and out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You guys may get a kick out of this...

Use a washcloth with warm, slightly soapy water, then WASH the windshield. Then rinse the washcloth and RINSE the windshield by wiping it off.

When you're done, polish it dry with a towel. Using other chemicals often just smear it around.

If you're short on time, you can just use a washcloth with hot water to wipe it down and polish it dry with a towel.

Try it. You'll be surprised at how well basic water followed by polishing with a dry towel works.

-Sam

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't use Windex. I mix water and 10% vinegar (by volume) in a spray bottle. Spray it on a clean microfiber cloth and wipe the inside of the windshield. Use another clean microfiber cloth to rub and dry. You might have to repeat, depending how much haze you have. Pointing your car into the sunlight will help expose the haze.

When defogging in the morning, try to match the inside temp with the outside temp. Otherwise, you will get condensation and fog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Windex changed their formula at some point and it totally sucks now. I still have a bottle of the old stuff tho and that works well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This problem seems to be worse on my '13 MZ3 than any other car I've owned. I am used to having to clean the windshield monthly, but not every other day. I bet is has something to do with that synthetic fabric covering the seats.

I usually go with a slight amount of dish washing soap diluted throughout a washcloth. Then follow up with a clean dry towel. Doing that once is enough in other cars but the crap that accumulates in this car is a PITA.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some Invisible Glass a week or so ago (the spray bottle, not the aerosol) and it worked great. I've gone a week plus and my windshield is still clear.

Agreed on the Windex. It used to work well but it's horrible now, my windshield would show streaks and fog up a day later.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a dry and clean towel, it cleans it very good and stay clean for longer time.
you can usually see it has a slightly blue tint on the hazy thing, and when you dry clean it, its way easier to see if you missed a spot or not.
I am not sure if you like it or not, but thats how I do it, and it works every time. just make sure you use a micro fiber cloth/towel to not scratch the windows.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts