2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a used 2010 Mazda 3 S a few weeks ago.:clap: First post here, though I've been lurking a lot looking at mods.
The previous owner had acquired a few rock chips (from driving on the highway frequently, I'm guessing).

A couple of them are rusted as you can see in the pictures below. They're very small, but I would like to fix them up.

What is the best way to fix rusted rock chips so that they're indistinguishable from the rest of the car?

I'm not very good with cars (I hope to learn a lot here:wink:), so I apologize in advance if this is a noobish question.

I did look around online and what some have tried is using a rust removing solution or sandpaper :eek:hmy 1:, to remove the rust, then apply primer, touch up paint, and clear coat.

rusted rock chips

These aren't rusted; they don't seem to be as deep as the chips in above pics. Is touch up paint and clear coat (or does touch up paint already have clear coat in it) enough to fix it up?

(for size comparison, the big rectangular shadow is a Galaxy S 4)

Thanks, all! :balloon:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly on the hood. One of them (the first pic, I think) is on the passenger side C-pillar - I've no idea how that managed to get there. :001_huh 1:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Im not sure about the ones with rust but the ones where it just went down to the primer I would just get some touch up paint from the dealer and fill them in

I filled a chip on my door with that stuff like 6 months ago and its still there. It hasnt washed off or anything lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was planning on doing that.
How does yours look? Do you know if the OEM touch up paint has the clear coat mixed in?

·
Registered
641 Posts
get the touch up paint and a box of tooth pics. lightly dip the end of the pic in the paint and put it in the center of the chip and then let gravity do its thing! Do it a few times to fill the chip. You only need a small droplet of paint.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
OEM touch up paint doesn't have clearcoat mixed in. Stuff advertised as "mixed with clearcoat" makes no sense. Your oem paint job is layered with paint underneath and clearcoat on top. A "glossy" or "shinier" paint won't match well. Automotivetouchup sells both OEM paint and clearcoat in each of their formats (pen, bottle with brush, spray...etc).

How does yours look? Do you know if the OEM touch up paint has the clear coat mixed in?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about having clear coat. Its just a couple spots not a whole panel

My car is black so I have to get up close and look for the spot where the paint is. Its not easy to spot even if you know its there but mine is on the door right behind the fender so its not as easily seen as the hood

Id say just try it. Its easier to spot a chip than a little dab of paint

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

How about the rusted ones? I'd assume it's recommended to remove the rust before putting on any touch up paint. Sandpaper it or use a rust remover product? (I'm not too fond of the idea of taking sandpaper to my car).

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can use sandpaper, but only use 2000-3000 grit sandpaper and sand lightly. If you use sandpaper all you're doing is feathering the edges of where the paint chipped. To get rid of the rust, you could go to an auto parts store and they sell these little needle type pens that have primer in them... it's in the same section as the touch up paint. I've never bothered with them though as the touch up paint from the dealer seems to bond pretty well as is. The tip with using toothpicks is a very good idea. The other advice I would say is to sand first and then use the toothpick and just dab a drop in the chip. I usually do the repair over a couple days and fill the chip in and then make sure you wait at least 24 hours. Then I usually come back the next day and if the paint doesn't look level with the rest of the paint you can come back and sand a little more to make the paint blend, but be extremely careful that the touch up paint has cured. Then you'll need to buff out the sanding marks with polish. I use meguiars m105 and m205 which both work really well. You could buy cheaper stuff.. just make sure you have polishing compound to polish out the sanding marks.... then put wax on after that. If you have a dual action polisher it makes it easier to buff out, but you can do it by hand as well... it just takes some more time to buff everything out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok.
I'll try that, when I have some time. I'll post back with pics of the result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts