2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a the 2011 speed3, and its time for the first oil change. does anyone know what is the best kind to put in there?

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
I just put in 5w20 fully synthetic German Castrol Syntec, based on a recommendation from ntechnic...and it might just be in my head, but I feel the car just drives smoother.

I also changed my tires and got an alignment as well...so I'm sure that had to do with it as well.

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
i used Kendall full synth 5w-20 and I felt the same way as well I thought it was smoother. I love it.

·
Gold Member
147 Posts
I have been using Royal Purple 5w-20 for my all my oil changes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys my friend told me to use royal purple but then some one at work said not to that its not good. so im not really sure. what to do.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have used Penzoil Platinum in my other cars with excellent results. However my first oil change I went with the walmart Supertech Full synthetic. Cant beat the price. So far seems to be holding up well, I read good reviews about it so gave it a try. Much cheaper at $17.50 for 5qts.

Like you, I have been a bit confused as to what oil to run though. No one on the other forums seem to think its good to run the 5w-20. Also the Mazdaspeed oil cap says 5w-30, so I went with that. However a good amount of peope say we can even use 5w-40, because it will reduce the turbo smoking issues. Rotella full synthetic 5w-40 has some great reviews so I have contemplated running that as well.

·
Poser :)
71 Posts
hmmm, Car manual says 5W-30, but your using 5W-20?? What up with that? You guys are brave men to ignore the manufactures recommendation. I mean after all they built the car... You must have been sold on somthing.. what was it??

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks guys my friend told me to use royal purple but then some one at work said not to that its not good. so im not really sure. what to do.
Royal purple is good the only downfall of it is that it uses molly which I guess can solidify and clog oil passages. That's just what Ive heard but as long as an engine has good oil ports and flow there should not be a problem. I use to run it in my old sunfire but after hearing that my paranoia kicked in and I switched to amsoil which is very good also but moneys been tight lately so I switched to mobile 1, seems to do just as good

·
Nose in the corner
201 Posts
thanks everyone. everyone has been a great help
Speaking of a great help, just threw on a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. Here's where I got it from, QWIK VALVE: ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE MADE BY FUMOTO: THE BEST WAY TO CHANGE THE OIL QUICKLY AND EASILY! Draining oil is a breeze. Also, if you over fill a little, no prob. Want a little out for an oil sample/analysis, no problem.

Not sure about other vehicles but the 2010 MS3 requires an adapter in addition to the plug because the pan is recessed a little where the plug is.

A separate topic...MOBIL1 Extended Performance, Full Synthetic. Any one use this over regular MOBIL1 Full Synthetic? Notice any difference or know of any significant differences other than the fact that the EP is supposedly good up to 15,000 miles, not that I would ever go that long?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic, 5W-30. It has worked good so far. I also put in the Fumoto Qwik Valve, and really like it. I am excited for the next oil change so I can use it :)

·
1,272 Posts
I just put in 5w20 fully synthetic German Castrol Syntec, based on a recommendation from ntechnic
Can you find the quote where ntechnic recommended 5w20 for an MS3? I find it hard to believe that he would recommend a 5w20 for a boosted car.

There is a lot of cross talk between the MS3 and the MZ3 in this thread. OP has an MS3 and the turbo needs a 30 weight oil, bottom line (unless he does not care about the health of his engine).

·
wfo
10 Posts
my dealer said not to use full synthetic so i havent and i have had my 2010 speed 3 for a year and have done 3 oil changes on it i really dont know i have never owned a sports car i have always had trucks but i am very happy i bought a speed i love it but what should i do about oil stay with the regular 5w-30 or what do you think

·
Registered
73 Posts
Due to rough cold weather starts, I got my dealer to put in 0w-30. That is standard on the 2011 models. Only cost 6 dollars extra. Seems to run better.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used Penzoil Platinum in my other cars with excellent results. However my first oil change I went with the walmart Supertech Full synthetic. Cant beat the price. So far seems to be holding up well, I read good reviews about it so gave it a try. Much cheaper at $17.50 for 5qts.

Like you, I have been a bit confused as to what oil to run though. No one on the other forums seem to think its good to run the 5w-20. Also the Mazdaspeed oil cap says 5w-30, so I went with that. However a good amount of peope say we can even use 5w-40, because it will reduce the turbo smoking issues. Rotella full synthetic 5w-40 has some great reviews so I have contemplated running that as well.
Personally, I wouldn't run anything but 5W-30..that's what the manufacturer recommends (they should know best)...and I use Mobil 5W-30 for speed 3...in fact I've pretty much used just Mobil 1 for all my cars dating back to the mid-80's...it's a great product!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts