2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question is asked before but I can't find one that answers my question.
My 2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback did not come with a roof rack and I'm in the market for one now.
I'm not looking for anything heavy duty. I'll probably only be loading a paddle-board or skates on it.
My priorities are quality, lightness, aerodynamic, aesthetics, less bulk.
Can anyone please recommend one?

Thanks in advance!

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
I'm researching this for my 2018 right now. At first glance, I like the Mazda OEM setup the best. It's the cheapest, has the cleanest installation (looks/appearance) but suffers from a Slightly more complex/time consuming option to remove and replace. Both the Thule and the Yakima are twice the price and have an installation where I can Easily see the paint being scratched.

That's as far as I've gotten with research. There may be other, more generic, racks that I haven't found information about.

Since I had a devil of a time finding out info on the Mazda setup, here's the best set of pictures (installation) I've found:

https://imgur.com/a/dbZ0Z

·
Registered
19 Posts
This question is asked before but I can't find one that answers my question.
My 2017 Mazda3 GT Hatchback did not come with a roof rack and I'm in the market for one now.
I'm not looking for anything heavy duty. I'll probably only be loading a paddle-board or skates on it.
My priorities are quality, lightness, aerodynamic, aesthetics, less bulk.
Can anyone please recommend one?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have any complaints about the OEM. Good looks, mpg and no noticeable extra wind noise(the car is very noisy itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm researching this for my 2018 right now. At first glance, I like the Mazda OEM setup the best. It's the cheapest, has the cleanest installation (looks/appearance) but suffers from a Slightly more complex/time consuming option to remove and replace. Both the Thule and the Yakima are twice the price and have an installation where I can Easily see the paint being scratched.

That's as far as I've gotten with research. There may be other, more generic, racks that I haven't found information about.

Since I had a devil of a time finding out info on the Mazda setup, here's the best set of pictures (installation) I've found:

https://imgur.com/a/dbZ0Z

The OEM is made by Yakima

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a Yakima skyline roof rack with jet stream cross bars installed on my Mazda 3. Was expensive but more functional then the other choices. It uses Mazda's fixed points which looks a lot nicer then Thule's clamp on roof rack. At first I thought I would go with Mazda oem rack as it does look very nice and clean but decided not to because it offers significantly less crossbar space, which was important to me as I often carry 2 sea kayaks. Also both the Mazda oem and Thule racks had much less weight load capacities. Plus the Yakima rack is super fast and easy to remove if you should choose to. Can't go wrong with Yakima skyline/jet stream setup. Looks nice to

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yakima skyline/jet stream setup looks okay. I just wish the 'Jet Stream' bar does not extend too far out.
Perhaps I could get the 'Yakima Skyline' Tower and find a bar that that attaches nicely, and not extend beyond the tower. But then this hybrid setup will not be very different from the OEM Mazda setup. I might just have to settle for the OEM Mazda setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah it sounds like the OEM rack is what you want. It does look nice and very clean looking. I needed the extra length of the jetstream crossbars so that I could get 2 kayaks on the roof. I would never be able to with the OEM rack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it is OEM Mazda setup for me then.
Thanks for super useful input guys. Couldn't have gotten this anywhere else. Gracias!

Now if anyone knows someone selling their used/new OEM Rack, I'm in the market.

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
The only complaint I have about the factory roof rack is that the bars are arched to match the roof line. When 2 bikes are loaded, they sit at an angle. They sit in a 'V' which concerns me a bit when using fork mount carriers as it puts added lateral stress on the forks. I could just be paranoid.

Consider the slight arch with whatever you plan on mounting and see if it is going to affect how it mounts up.

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
Are you sure Yakima makes them? I ask because Mazda sells the Thule bike and board racks as accessories.
I believe they were manufactured by Whispbar which is (or was) owned by Yakima at one point. The profile of the aluminum bars looks the same as Whispbar's profile, and yakima used to have a link directly to the Whispbar web site before they started making their own aero bars. Oh, and it has been a while since I looked at my rack, but I do believe it says Whispbar etched on the aluminum as well. :smile2:

edit: answered here!
https://www.rerack.com/blog/all-about-whispbar/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reading comprehension 101 needs you back in class....

Care to try reading the text you quoted again and see if you can't figure out the info you wanted?

I was unclear with my question. Sorry about the confusion. A better way to phrase my question would be, why does it looks different than OEM roof racks that I have seen for Mazda 3 in USA? It is stated that this is in Europe, so I was looking for the make and model to see if it is possible to purchase it in the USA. I have just started looking into roof racks for my Mazda, so I am looking at the different options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car came with the OEM Mazda racks. Before I bought the car, I was going to ask the dealer to take them off and keep them. I literally will never use them. But after having them for awhile, and really looking at them during a detail, I really like the aesthetic they add to the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to get a rack from Thule for my 2015 3 Sport and was wondering if anyone has tried mounting the fit option for the 2008-2013 generation as Thule is NA doesnt seem to have an option for fixed point mounting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thule does in fact make the factory rack.

It is a Mazda branded version of their Aeroblade/Wingbar edge system (this just means the bars do not extend beyond the towers).

I have the towers from the last gen 3 that I got from a coworker. These will work with any of Thule’s non-flush mount bars with the way they attach. Square, Aeroblade or Wingbar. 47” (or close to) is what Thule recommends for width however a 43” bar fits perfect in my opinion.

This is what I have. Yes yes I know I am committing some brand disloyalties...but I like Yakima racks better that Thule’s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts