2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 mazda came with 18" rims. The original tires were fairly bald by the time winter hit. I bought some 16" rims and good winter tires. I now need new summer tires. I want to have two sets of rims so I can swap out tires and wheels myself whenever the weather changes.

I am not sure I want to go back to 18" wheels. I am looking for long lasting good highway tires. I feel the 18" tires are more expensive and offer less life. It might be cheaper to buy some 16" tires and wheels, rather than just 18" tires. I am not looking to go cheap but want the best bang for the buck over the long haul. I am looking for recommendations on which size rims to use and which tires to put on them?

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
I still have stock 18" on my 2015, but I have read many people here like a 17" wheel on this car. I don't think anyone has had problems with clearance, and the selection is good, with many options much lighter weight than the stock wheels. Also tires selection is good and less expensive. Good luck!

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
If you're trying to save money, yes get 16's, do 16x7 wheels and 225/50/R16 tires. Or if you prefer more sidewall(softer ride) then do a 205/55/R16. I run the 225's in summer with high performance summer tires and 205's in winter with high performance studded winter tires. Smaller rims will also equate slightly better acceleration, less rotational mass. I noticed it right away when I got my 16's for winter and will be running the same wheels for summer, definitely a small bump in acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
If you don't mind spending a few bucks, 17" lightweight rims like the Enkei RPF01s are a very good compromise. Konigs and Advantis are lightweight and not as expensive as the Enkeis. Pair them with a good summer tire like the Continental ECS or the Michelin PS4 in 205 or 225/50 17 and you'll be good to go..:wink2:
Just FYI, most of the summer performance tires don't last all that long. They aren't made for long life, they are made for performance. The long term reports on the Conti ECS are looking pretty good though. You might get 20k out of a set if you don't go crazy. If you want a 50k mile tire, summer only tires won't do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're trying to save money, yes get 16's, do 16x7 wheels and 225/50/R16 tires. Or if you prefer more sidewall(softer ride) then do a 205/55/R16.
I now drive a truck, the Mazda is now my wife's car and it is a primarily a grocery getter. The only performance we are concerned about is longevity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like arathol said, summer tires don't last long. If you are swapping the wheels between summer and winter, they will last a bit longer. The All-Season tires will last longer. Even in the 18in sizes. Summer tires will give you more performance than all-season tires will. All-season tires make some compromises in the rubber recipe so they work in just about any season except for more than an inch or 2 of snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts