Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 105 46.9%

• Total voters
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Although you brought up some good points, it doesn't matter that if Champ Labs makes a bunch of different filters. They are all branded differently and built differently according to their spec and price range.

This thread is titled Best Oil Filter. Although all synthetic media filters are good and will get the job done, I feel the best one on the market right now is Mobil 1 with its 20k capacity and superior filtration. All others like Fram Ultra are playing catchup.

Sure they are all top notch filters but you have to give credit wheee credit is due. Mobil 1 makes one hell of an oil filter. They are leading the way.

Amsoil was considered the best at one point with their 25k ratings but they've since dropped most filters to a safe 15k rating for capacity but filtration wise they are up there with M1 if not better.
have you cut any of your filters open to see what they look like inside? i have, a fram ultra for our cars has more pleats made of thicker paper then the regular gold box mobil 1 does, the regular mobil 1 has the same number as the stp extended life at autozone. its not that its a bad filter, but that it has less pleats and less filter material then the fram which also has slightly less then the wix xp i cut open. I have yet to actually see for myself a mobil 1 20k filter as they are new. I am sure it is a great filter and not discounting your opinion but the best oil filter cannot be the exact same for every person or every need. the fram ultra does good for my 6k oil changes keeps the oil clean and filters well. the orange can of death is a horrible filter, same with the blue box stp/super guard (walmart) so are many of the other cheaper filters, cheap paper, hardly any filtering media, cheap end caps and springs and rubber by pass valves instead of silicone which withstands higher temps and is flexible longer. For my needs and i am sure most gearheads that love pulling the car on ramps and doing fluid changes a fram ultra, mobil 1, stp extended, wix xp and napa gold/platinum will work to 15k miles (as all but the stp extended life state they will, stp extended states 10k) purolator makes good filters, but thy hold the pleats with string and that is not something i want coming loose an flowing into my oil, so i dont use them. fram ultra has metal end caps good strong springs, great filter media and good gluing patterns, mobil1 and wix have these as well. the thing i like about the fram is the metal mesh covering the pleats, helps strengthen them as they get oily and flimsy (as paper, even synthetic will as it gets wet) as they age the gold box mobil does not have this, the 20k one may and i am sure does. the fram ultra filters smaller particles then the regular mobil 1 but i am sure the 20k one is the same as the fram here too.

I am one of those people as well no matter how much these companies claim they make things that will last 15, 20+k i am skeptical and do not trust them to know my car and its needs better then me, the owner, maintainer and driver of my car, plus mazda would know even more as they BUILT the car. These companies cannot and do not test their products on every engine and the L series engines are very unique but have flaws like everything, one is carbon build up do to running them rich so i do not trust even the best oil to keep this from happening for 10k+ miles and would rather change my oil more often then change my engine because i trusted a company that did not test their product in my engine in my operating conditions.

for 15k and under intervals any of the top line filters will do great on our cars, but again clean filters and clean fluids mean longer lasting, better running cars with less issues. changing more often is not harmful and can only assure your engine is at peak clean and peak performance. personally even with better fluids then the manual states i dont exceed manufacturers intervals as the manufacturer tested the engine in perfect conditions and most likely in real world ones and found a good range for most conditions, i hav the non skyactiv car skyactiv fill is synthetic 0w20 and even non skyactiv's should be (even though my manual states syn blend 0w20, so non skyactivs may get synblend) but it also, again depends on where you go and what your willing to pay for. Another reason i dont take my car anywhere to have it fixed or have fluid changes and prefer to do it myself because I KNOW what i put in, when i put it in, how much was put in and that all this was correct.

For me spending a little more to change my fluids and filters more often then the bottles/boxes state is a cheap insurance plan to total engine failure or major issues.

(please excuse any typo's with missing "E's" as my keyboard on my laptop is screwing up and the "E" key is going limp.) time for a new computer!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
To put this shortly and in better terms for the uninitiated car people, there is no 1 "BEST" filter for any engine or car, it depends on your expected drain intervals, how much you are willing to/want to spend, oil you choose etc. any good name brand filter thats not bottom barrel will do most just fine. Remember, the smaller the particles a filter filters out the more restrictive to flow it usually is, the more filter material in the same size canister means more restriction to flow and this is not good on heavier weighted oil or in very cold climates as it may restrict too much. The manufacturer of the car has done the most testing and knows what oil weight works best for a good majority of driving conditions, this also applies to change intervals, the older L series engines (the non skyactiv engines in this generation) are known for carbon build up and therefor should have more regular oil changes and cleanings to prevent other parts such as your egr valve from gumming up.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Goodness gracious that was a long post. Lol.

I constantly see people count pleats but in reality, it's the quality of the filter media that matters MORE then just the number of pleats.

I've used several different air filters for my house. Some have a ton of pleats but are literally see thru whereas another will have average but is thick as and will super catch and hold more dirty. Which one is better? Lol.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
more pleats tends to mean more filtering media and more filtering media means more dirt holding capacity meaning a longer lasting filter, none of the brands I mention use hardly any different paper in their top filters its synthetic paper media that's pretty darn thick almost looks like a cross section of a blanket. air filters and liquid filters like oil filters are not the same thing and cannot be easily compared as they are designed to do basically the same thing, but one has to let small particles of air by whereas the other has to let larger liquid particles by both of them while trapping unwanted dirt particles. They are designed different and usually use different paper materials to accomplish this task. Air filters tend to be thinner paper that have bigger holes and maybe see through on cheap or poorly designed/made ones they also tend to be natural wood paper or cotton and not synthetic material like oil filters.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
if your using standard oil, for standard changes and don't really care much for top notch parts yeah, the mazda oem filter is about mid pack in filtering and dirt holding, but not bad for the cars designated mileage, I never use oem filters as to not deal with shipping from a 3rd party, go to the dealer and pay a ton more than its worth and avoid the hassle. mazda doesn't make their own filters that's why so many cars end up using the same filter they run tests determine what length it can run on its oil, how much dirt holding it needs etc then order the cheapest brand they can get to make one fit these demands. going overboard on dirt holding and filter capacity wont hurt especially with synthetics and if you plan to run the change interval to 7500 miles or longer (as some do)

101 - 107 of 107 Posts