Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 105 46.9%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Damn man sorry bout that I didn't know its not up there. Is there more to this or is it that they don't order it up there ? or is it the "POLITICS" ? :argh 1:

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Bosch filters for sure.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Damn man sorry bout that I didn't know its not up there. Is there more to this or is it that they don't order it up there ? or is it the "POLITICS" ? :argh 1:
I have to order the mazda moly from the US. I'm fortunate to live in Vancouver so I have it shipped to the WA border and I make the 40 minute drive down to pick it up.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Living in a Podunk with my car which uses 5.3 quarts of 0w20 sucks. Auto-zone and Advanced still didn't stock it last time I was there. I'm stuck going to Wally world. I run Valvoline Synpower cause I can get the 5qt jugs and they sell individual quarts for .3. I could get Penzoil Platinum but only 5qt jugs available, thats it. I'm using Fram Tough Guard filters, sometimes can get bosch and change my oil every 3500k anyway. I may have to start thinking about ordering filters online..

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I want to change the oil on the 2012 Mazda 3 we just bought, MZR 2.0 engine. I was reading online how a filter that is listed for the car didn't fit and different web sites haven't updated their info to list the correct filter number. I only have this car at the moment and don't want to buy a filter, drain the oil only to find out it's the wrong filter and have no way to get the right one.

So can someone tell me what the correct part number is, Not OEM I usually use Purolator Pure One filters

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always use the factory oil filter with the factory recommended oil weight, nothing else. Some aftermarket oil filters are no better, if not worse than factory and cost more. I also used the specified weight because that was what the car was designed to use.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I always substitute 1 Quart of oil with 1 Quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Agreed to this %100.. Im not sure why everyone hates on Fram filters. I didnt use one on my 3 because all the local o reileys had was a mobile but My previous vehicle always had fram filters and motocraft oil has 300,000 miles on the original motor does not leak or smoke at all. Its all down to actually changing your oil regularly IMHO and using Lucas :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Go to the website BOBISTHEOILGUY and read about your filters there. CLIK THIS=http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=34&page=1

·
Registered
958 Posts
One thing you guys are missing is, what is considered "best" in regards to oil filters.

Let's take the Mobil 1 oil filter for example (not MobilE 1 like many of you call it, Mobile phones don't make oil filter, FYI)

The M1 oil filter is designed to go hand in hand with the Mobil 1 EP oil line, which is rated for 15,000 miles. The oil filter is also rated for 15k to match. So if you get the M1 oil filter and trash it after 5,000 miles, you're basically throwing away 2/3rd of the filter because you only used up 1/3rd of it!

Oil filters (just like air filters) get more efficient as they age and fill up with junk. A Mobil 1 oil filter will filter the oil BETTER after 10,000 miles of use, vs 5k. That said, it will filter even better near 15k miles of use vs when NEW (until it reaches capacity, of course)

So the question that comes to mind is, what exactly are you getting from the Mobil 1 oil filter, if you only use it for 5k miles and throw it away? You might be getting worse filtration vs a filter that is designed to last 5k and get thrown away. This info has been on Bob is the oil guy for YEARS.

I personally prefer the OEM Mazda oil filter. After seeing how well it's made and packaged from Japan, I can't see myself using anything else. It's an oil filter that is DESIGNED for the Skyactiv engine. The aftermarket oil filters are designed to WORK with many different engines / designs / specs. Why would you want to use it?

Of course at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference and any filter that is shown to work with the Skyactiv engine will work just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After reading this, I'm thinking that I'll stick with oem oil filter, so I might pre-order a bunch of em. I guess my questions are: now I got my mind set on oem oil filters, should I use only oem engine oil also and do my own oil changes when need to? 2012 skyactiv engine is at 25k, should I also stick with ow20 viscosity or change to something else?
First time owning a Mazda 3, first Mazda car was 91 fc3s s5 gtu. Imo, it doesn't matter what oil filter or oil I put in the rx7, that rotary engine is no good after 100k vs regular piston motors

·
Registered
633 Posts
Jaysus this is a never ending quandary spread equally across other car forums as well. If the OEM filter is good enough for the carmaker who made the engine in first place, why do car owners keep feeling the need to second guess their decision.

Pat.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I only run OEM now because I can't find any local corner stores carrying others that fit.

I will say AVOID STP.
It's got half the filtering material than the old Bosch filters I was running.
I didn't even run it, once I opened the box I threw it in the trash.
Not even going to waste my time on that.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Jaysus this is a never ending quandary spread equally across other car forums as well. If the OEM filter is good enough for the carmaker who made the engine in first place, why do car owners keep feeling the need to second guess their decision.

Pat.
Because at the end of the day, the manufacturer chooses the final product (the oil filter in this case) based on many different reasons. The BEST filtration is not always the goal for them. They choose a filter with "good enough" filtering ability, built by the lowest bidder and call it a day because the engine will be "just fine".

There are other brands (Mobil 1's oil filter comes to mind) that build a filter for maximum filtration, where price doesn't matter because people will still buy it.

Having said that, although I'm sure there might be better filters out there, I personally choose to stick with Mazda's filter because it seems so well made. I LOVE the packaging it comes in (the little plastic protector just screams quality) and feel that it's a very good option for my car.

The oem filter is good enough. I've tried other brands but didn't notice any difference.
I'd say it's a pretty damn good filter. Calling it good enough is an insult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Royal Purple oil filters with Mobil 1 synthetic in all my cars. The Royal Purple filters have been proven to be better than the competition and also proven with oil analysis tests.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Because at the end of the day, the manufacturer chooses the final product (the oil filter in this case) based on many different reasons. The BEST filtration is not always the goal for them. They choose a filter with "good enough" filtering ability, built by the lowest bidder and call it a day because the engine will be "just fine".

There are other brands (Mobil 1's oil filter comes to mind) that build a filter for maximum filtration, where price doesn't matter because people will still buy it.

Having said that, although I'm sure there might be better filters out there, I personally choose to stick with Mazda's filter because it seems so well made. I LOVE the packaging it comes in (the little plastic protector just screams quality) and feel that it's a very good option for my car.

I'd say it's a pretty damn good filter. Calling it good enough is an insult.
Nail hit on the head! Yes the manufacturer chooses the filter with many factors considered, including price. We don't really know how the aftermarket filters do in the only valid comparison, the ASTM test efficiency results. That is why I use Pure1 or the Bosch filters that achieve 99% score in those tests. The most important thing that differentiates filter manufacurers is the filter media (paper) and that is why the big filter companies do best in balancing out filtering quality with the other factors. The Mazda filter might be as good as the Pure1 or Bosch premium, but not likely better.

Dave

61 - 80 of 107 Posts