2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. I had my new niche m116s for a few weeks now (18x8 with 205-45/18, was wanting to lower the car a bit more. I had eibach on my fors fiesta but didnt care for them after a while) maybe struts gave out etc. I travel 30+ miles a day too and back from work daily. What would you guys recommend?

Heres a couple of picks the 2014 3 pic is the drop im kinda looking for. Also sorry for upside down pic, don't know why it uploads like this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
H&R springs are just about right, 45mm rear, 25mm front. Get too much lower than that and you'll be hitting everything. Add a set of Koni FSDs and you are good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are a good choice too and they sit lower than the eibachs. I shouldnt be needing an alignment kit or anything should i?

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
Those are a good choice too and they sit lower than the eibachs. I shouldnt be needing an alignment kit or anything should i?
No you should be ok.
However, when I did mine I got a set of adjustable plates to get some extra camber in the front and adjustable camber and toe bars for the rear. As rear toe in and camber are not independently adjustable, its a good idea to add those parts for better alignment numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no idea about the adjustable plates etc. Does autoanything sell those by any chance? And the 45mm in the front and 25mm in the rear is that for the standard h and r springs? I just want to be sure i do everything right so i wont be having previous car issues since the eibach.

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
I don't know who has those camber plates now. I got mine from CorkSport. Those are discontinued and are now on close-out at 20% discount. The adjustable camber and toe arms are pretty easy to get. There are a lot on ebay. I got the Megan Racing arms. Right now you can get the whole set for $300.

H&R springs :
H&R lowering springs for 28821-1 Mazda 3 fits Mazda 3 VA 30 HA 45mm | eBay

The specs say 30mm front but with the camber plates you get a bit less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems you put alot of time and money into getting your car the way you wanted to look. I originally thought you could just put springs on and go about your day. Is all the other stuff really necessary? Especially for my everyday highway drives?

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
No not really needed. You can get by with out them. I did the front plates to get an extra couple degrees of camber. Those extra couple degrees lets the front tires get a bit better bite in hard corners.
The rear bars let you make more precise adjustments that are not other obtainable with the factory set up. You can set it up with a bit more camber and still dial in the right amount of toe in. This can be important to keep your tires from wearing unevenly. You can also use those adjustments to get a bit less toe in to make the car handle better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All that would make a nice project for the future. The 3 already handles like a champ around corners even going at high speeds. Can only imagine when adding those would do. My plan wad after the lower, to start toggling around with some mods. Basic air intake and exhaust etc. By the way is it true that lowering aprings blow out your struts?

I was just planning on adding the springs and thats it. Or maybe idk get konis down the line.

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
There is one other thing to look into. Whenever you lower a car you need to reorient the swaybars or you may have issues. Generally to do it right you need adjustable end links. If the bar is not positioned right it won't work as it should and the forces generated could stretch or damage the brackets.

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
All that would make a nice project for the future. The 3 already handles like a champ around corners even going at high speeds. Can only imagine when adding those would do. My plan wad after the lower, to start toggling around with some mods. Basic air intake and exhaust etc. By the way is it true that lowering aprings blow out your struts?

I was just planning on adding the springs and thats it. Or maybe idk get konis down the line.
SRIs are kind of a waste. More noise, same or less power generally.

I don't think that lowering less than 2 inches will damage your shocks. They have enough compression travel to compensate for that. What does blow them out is lowering a lot without proper bump stops. Then, without the right bump stops, the shock can bottom out and quickly beat itself to death. Not really something you need to worry about as the car already has the right stops. You may want to trim them an inch or so to compensate for suspension travel lost due to lowering though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really cant thank you enough for providing me with all this information. Ill get the springs and go from there. More than i had expected but will be worth it in a longrun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts