2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi -

It won't be long before I change the oil in my 3. Can folks please recommend a good, safe set of ramps? I don't need to elevate the car much. oil changes are the only reason (for me) I need ramps for. Would low profile ramps such as ones that raise the front wheels between 3 - 4 inches be sufficient?

I have seen ramps on Amazon made of hollow plastic and read reviews about cracking and breaking so I want to stay away from those. Race Ramps RR-30 looks promising, they are made of some kind of composite material and are solid, not a hollow / honeycomb design. If anyone has experience with these that would be great. I would also like to ensure that incline is shallow enough that the front skirt won't touch the ramp surface.

Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just too many bad reviews on Rhinos for me to take the chance. I'm sure many folks have had no problem, but I see too many reports of failure for me to consider them.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
If you want the best, and are willing to pay for them, it is Race Ramps, and I recommend this site (have bought from them several times and great product/service). Fred is terrific.

Race Ramps deals up to 50% off MSRP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you want the cheapest that are guaranteed to work indefinitely, and if you possess a few basic tools, you can create your own out of lumber.

Besides the modest cost, another upside is that you can build them to suit your specific needs (i.e., height, width, wheel stops, ramp angle, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Just too many bad reviews on Rhinos for me to take the chance. I'm sure many folks have had no problem, but I see too many reports of failure for me to consider them.
Any real failures to back that up? Seems like all the failures I have seen can be attributed to user error. I have had a set of these for some time and they work just fine. I'd rather use a set of $50 ramps rated for 12k lbs than a $90 set of doorstops rated for half that. The Rhinos are a lot stronger than they look. I would not try it but I saw a single axle International 4900 dump truck with a rear wheel up on one.:surprise:
Those Rally Ramps are not nearly high enough at only 5". They aren't much more than glorified wheel chocks.
If you are that worried, get a jack and a set of ESCO jackstands with pinchweld blocks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've used my Rhino Ramps for years on multiple cars, trucks, and a SUV and they have held up no problem
However, I used them on my 3 just recently when I did an oil change and it just BARELY cleared
The only way I got it to clear is to have the ramps as far out as I could while still keeping the tire on the ramp itself
The suspension on my car is completely stock as well

EDIT: I just realized that I have the Rhino Ramps MAX
They are rated at 16,000 lbs
Perhaps the MAX has a steeper approach angle compared to the 12,000lb regular model and maybe that's why my car barely clears it

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
I've used my Rhino Ramps for years on multiple cars, trucks, and a SUV and they have held up no problem
However, I used them on my 3 just recently when I did an oil change and it just BARELY cleared
The only way I got it to clear is to have the ramps as far out as I could while still keeping the tire on the ramp itself
The suspension on my car is completely stock as well
I have the 16k version and my car went right up with no problems at stock height. On H&Rs, it is just a bit short, maybe 1/2". I use a couple pieces of 1x8 boards on the ground in front of the ramps to make up the difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any real failures to back that up? Seems like all the failures I have seen can be attributed to user error. I have had a set of these for some time and they work just fine. I'd rather use a set of $50 ramps rated for 12k lbs than a $90 set of doorstops rated for half that. The Rhinos are a lot stronger than they look. I would not try it but I saw a single axle International 4900 dump truck with a rear wheel up on one.:surprise:
Those Rally Ramps are not nearly high enough at only 5". They aren't much more than glorified wheel chocks.
If you are that worried, get a jack and a set of ESCO jackstands with pinchweld blocks.
Just 4 pages of 1 star reviews on Amazon where the common problems reported were cracking or just outright failure where the ramp collapsed. The overwhelming majority of reviews are positive, but for me, too many reports of cracking or failure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
tots - I'm sure if you get the Race Ramps RR-30 Rally Ramp you will be able to change your oil, trans fluid, replace your rear motor mount put on a Curt trailer hitch for your mountain bike install an axel back exhaust.
The same is true about the Rhino ramps... I've read the stories of the Rhino risk over the past seven years and I've not found one person injured, killed by using a rhino ramp. Its your choice and you should get what makes you happy. After all its only money and I spend that on my bar tab.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Just 4 pages of 1 star reviews on Amazon where the common problems reported were cracking or just outright failure where the ramp collapsed. The overwhelming majority of reviews are positive, but for me, too many reports of cracking or failure.
HAHAHA:laughing019::laughing001: did you actually read any of them? The majority of the 5% of total reviews that were 1 star were something like too low, can't drive my car up them, don't like them because they are plastic but they work ok.....The ones that broke seemed like pretty obvious misuse. The guy with the Tacoma even posted pictures that clearly showed how he drove off the end and broke them. And then there are the many complete failures by people who have no clue.:bash::bash:

actual quotes::wtf:
"made repeated attempts to get up these and failed every time. If the ramps don't shoot forward when you hit them they shoot back when you've almost made it to the top." Really? How fast was this guy going? :surprise:
"There is only one anti-skid location on the very front of the ramp. Once you past that, look out. Using them for the first time today, They both ended up underneath my car, and not under my front wheels.. Watch out, once you pass this point, these ramps are very unstable and slide out from the tires very easy." Yeah, once you drive off the front where did you think the ramps would go?
Learn how to use them properly and they are just fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHAHA:laughing019::laughing001: did you actually read any of them? The majority of the 5% of total reviews that were 1 star were something like too low, can't drive my car up them, don't like them because they are plastic but they work ok.....The ones that broke seemed like pretty obvious misuse. The guy with the Tacoma even posted pictures that clearly showed how he drove off the end and broke them. And then there are the many complete failures by people who have no clue.:bash::bash:

actual quotes::wtf:
"made repeated attempts to get up these and failed every time. If the ramps don't shoot forward when you hit them they shoot back when you've almost made it to the top." Really? How fast was this guy going? :surprise:
"There is only one anti-skid location on the very front of the ramp. Once you past that, look out. Using them for the first time today, They both ended up underneath my car, and not under my front wheels.. Watch out, once you pass this point, these ramps are very unstable and slide out from the tires very easy." Yeah, once you drive off the front where did you think the ramps would go?
Learn how to use them properly and they are just fine.
Here's a link to just the 1st page or 1 star reviews. https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/product-reviews/B0117EETEK/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews

Seems like lots of reports of cracking, but you could be right, could be misuse or poorly aligned when driving up them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tots - I'm sure if you get the Race Ramps RR-30 Rally Ramp you will be able to change your oil, trans fluid, replace your rear motor mount put on a Curt trailer hitch for your mountain bike install an axel back exhaust.
The same is true about the Rhino ramps... I've read the stories of the Rhino risk over the past seven years and I've not found one person injured, killed by using a rhino ramp. Its your choice and you should get what makes you happy. After all its only money and I spend that on my bar tab.
LOL - well said, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
There seems to be one caveat with the Rhino ramps. The stated ramp capacity, ie 12k or 16k lbs, is not the actual rating for the pair. That number is total GVW for the vehicle. Individual capacities are 25% of the advertised rating, or 50% for the pair.
That being said at some point in the near future I will be looking into getting pair of the 56" RaceRamps , only because the Miata is pretty low and a pain to get up on the Rhinos.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts