2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. I am trying to install a powered sub, and im searching for a hole through the firewall to rout the power wire through. Does anyone know the best pre-made hole that can be used? I heard the hood-release wire runs through the firewall as well. Where would that be?
Im looking to not drill through it if possible.

·
Wannabe race car driver
21 Posts
I've had bad luck trying to run amp wires without drilling holes. What I did is run the cable out of my battery and behind the engine (toward the windscreen) and I ended up drilling a hole through the circle on the left side of the firewall. Assuming your car is left hand drive, that circle goes right into a cutout under / behind the glovebox, and worked out perfectly. You might have to detach the air condition pipes (I believe that's what they are, sorry, I'm a bit tired) to help get a drill in there. Hope I can help!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
on a side note, is a sealed battery (such as optima) worth it to lessen voltage drop (dimming lights, especially LED lights).
Either get a stronger battery, a second battery, or a capacitor. Are you running an amp? Because unless it's a really old battery, your lights shouldn't be dimming because of the leds. I'm running leds, an amp, and alpine touch screen and my lights don't dim

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only problem with not running a capacitor or a second battery is with certain songs the bass changes and drops at different points. The cars alternator isn't really made to power an amp (depending on how much of a draw the amp takes). So when the bass drops it puts a big strain on the alternator (could potentially damage it) and depending on the draw the third or fourth time the sub hits, its not going to be as powerful as the first because of the need for more power.

For the short answer, you will save your alternator in the long run and have a better sounding system if you invest in a capacitor. If you are going to buy a new battery for $100+, you are probably better off just buying a capacitor for $35-$40. The results would most likely be better in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts