2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

I've been going through the forum, and pretty much there is a big debate about LED / HID headlights and fog lights.

Before I begin ,I want to point out that I have Bi-Xenon Headlights with DRL LED's and stock fog lights (color yellow) . Now my problem is that I considered the Stock Bi-Xenon lights not "perfect white", they have a hint of yellow and it does not make it so much for me. Comparing the lights of my car to those of a Mazda 6 2016 / 2017 , the Mazda 6 lights in my opinion have perfect white on their LED headlights and that is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for style,practicality and most of all great light on night driving conditions (balance of all three).What is important for me as well is having pretty much an unified and exact temperature color on all lights in the car and great light output and not less. Regarding fog lights I read and consider that fog lights should be what they are suppose to be "Fog lights" and not another extra source of strong light. (HID fog lights are not an options for me)

So here are my questions, I would really appreciate if someone can answer and clarify :smile2:

1) Are the stock Bi-Xenon Headlights on the car considered HID already or just Xenon (sorry for the amateur question) ? Is their color temperature around 4300K?

2)What is the best "plug and play" bulb replacement for the Stock Xenon Headlight? Is the replacement for my vehicle suppose to be only a "D4S" connection? is 35W or 55W needed? LED or HID, Xenon? Will I need a ballast?

4) What is the color temperature that I should be looking for in order to have that unified light look that I want? (The look I'm searching for is where the color temperature of all lights will match the DRL's of my vehicle)? Also are DRL LED's 6000K? (Also i noticed DRL LED'S become a little bit dimmer at night, while during the day they are super bright)

3)What is the best LED fog light bulbs you guys recommend that will suit the stock OEM fog lights housing? I've been checking this option, can anyone state if these are good bulbs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NHLTI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As you might know the new Mazda 3 2017 has LED lights pretty much everywhere (LED headlights, fog lights) which I think is awesome :nerd: , therefore new owners don't have to go through the hassle of 2016 Mazda 3 owners, since according to the Mazda 2017 Manual the headlights and LED's are all part of one unit :surprise: (Possibly a much more expensive repair)

Thank you very much for your time :smile2:

Sorry for the long post!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm currently using osram CBI 5500k for the low beams and the morimoto xb led projector fog lights. When looking at the car it looks pure white for the most part.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are these the ones you are referring to, the Osram CBI? Do these ones function as well as low beams and high beams? Plug and play?

https://www.amazon.com/Osram-66440CBI-Xenarc-CBI-Light/dp/B00O7PZLH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480975292&sr=8-2&keywords=CBI+5500k

Thank you for your time :)
Yup those. They are a direct replacement for the stock xenon bulbs. The high beam is just the shield in the projector dropping when activated to let out more light whereas the low beam has the cutoff shield up so there's no glare.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!! Can you please post a couple of picture to see how they look?
From your own experience, is your recommendation an improvement from the stock Xenon Bulbs? Any big difference/ improvement from your recommendation to the original OEM bulbs? Does your recommendation feels as OEM as the Stock Xenon Bulbs? and does 5500K match the LED DRL lights?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Would like a pop in brighter light, would love a tinge of blue with it, to replace my existing bi-xenon. This week will reduce the tint on windshield so maybe it will not matter then, but still.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The fog lights I got matches the LED DRL almost 100% but it's slightly whiter than the low beams. The CBI are whiter than stock bulbs, even brighter a bit too. When I first got the car I was really disappointed with the low beam and fog light output and I'm much happier with my current set up now. I would say both are an improvement over stock.

Here's a pic, it doesn't look too white but in person it's whiter...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot! I will definitely upgrade the headlights to your recommendation and for the fog lights I will give the "Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Light" a try (from what I searched and read they are very good fog lights which will fit on the OEM housing perfectly without the need to shop for aftermarket fog lights housing )

Once again thanks for your input and sweet ride you have there too :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before you spring for the purchase on Amazon, just FYI there is a lot of fake Osram CBI bulbs out there. (Learned this the hard way) Make sure you get your bulb at an authorized source such as TheRetrofitSource.com... Otherewise you'll be spending 100+ for a fake bulb that won't provide the color/intensity/durability desired. They are more expensive but you do get what you pay for (as they say) XD.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
502 Posts
1) yes HID is and are xenon. HID is high intensity discharge. xenon headlamps are powered by xenon gases that ignite within the bulb. different from halogen bulbs. xenon headlights can either be for low beam or for both high and low, hence the name BI-xenon.

2)the bulb you're looking for is a D4S bulb. similar to halogen bulbs, they come with different connectors; H7 H4 etc. for hid bulbs you have D4S D2S D4R etc. have a look into philips ultinon or the xtreme ultinon. i find the output brilliant for mine, about 6000k and about 3000lms IIRC on the xtreme ultinon which i managed to pick up when i was in japan.

3) as for the DRLs, during the day, the operate as DRLs, hence being brighter. but when the headlights are on, the brightness reduces in order for the normal headlight bulbs to function better, it's the same in all vehicles. even when you take a look at the new audis, and mercs, even when the turn signal comes on, they dim the DRL.

4) never did my fogs as i never have the need to use them. couldn't be of much help here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts